Sponsored by:

Stone guard replacement

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2004, 07:00 PM
Ron
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Like Bradford I replaced mine myself with the Invinca Shield ones. I also had Mark at Invinca Shield make me some additional pieces to cover the small area right behind the front tire as well as the front wheel arch and the area right behind the rear wheel on the bumper.

That 3M stuff that these stoneguards are made of does yellow over time. You'll see want I mean when you take the old stuff off. I have a yellow car and where the old stoneguards were on my car the color was noticeably different.

I've seen Mark install and remove this stuff at Autometrics on race cars and my instructions for removal are from him. He is the design and installation training manager at Invinca Shield.
Old 08-30-2004, 07:07 PM
kdurg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by kdurg
Ahhhh.....Mike...that's aahhhh...YUENGLENG !!! and it is NO DOUBT the most important tool in this project.

Mike.....

Ahhh...quoting myself here.....it's me who's the idiot and off the edge. I spelled it wrong too !! YUENGLING is found on the bottle. As I walked in the house just now , wifey had one open on the counter....I looked at the bottle...and said to myself....oh ****. We're both morons....

BTW, haven't done the stoneguard R&R yet.......
Old 08-30-2004, 10:27 PM
cmcield
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Scott, What's in the spray bottle?

Chris

97 C2S Black/Black
Old 08-30-2004, 11:50 PM
Bradford
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

The spray bottle contains soapy water. They need to stay wet until the placement is exact. While I was installing stonegaurd with both hands it's good to have the extra help if available.

Scott
Old 08-31-2004, 02:18 AM
Pete Lech
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As my car is dark, I parked it in the sun for 30 minutes, and the old piece peeled right off. Removing the residual adhesive was going pretty slowly, even with the 3M Adhesive Remover, until I discovered that using the teflon scraper that came with the kit took it right off once softened with the 3M.

The new Invinca-Shield piece went on well for my first time. Only a minor problem in the area of the split in the lower part - virtuallly unnoticeable. Be careful with the alcohol & water solution, as it will make the adhesive set up quickly - that's what caused the minor problem.. Try to stay with the soapy water solution.
Old 08-31-2004, 07:16 AM
Alan C2S
Intermediate

Also replaced mine last year with the Invinca-shield material. My car is white as were the OEM shields. The Invinca-shields are clear. I pulled my car out in the sun heated them up and just pulled the old ones off at a 45 degree angle "very slow" and did not have any issues. I didn't feel the quality of the Invinca-shields were as good as OEM however when you consider the cost difference I felt it was the best choice.
Old 08-31-2004, 02:34 PM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Received 340 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by mike cap
hawk993:
Just because you scratched the hell out of your paint removing the plastic stone guards doesn't make the rest of us liars. I would disguise the tag # on my car and continue to use an alias to if I were you.

Keith:
Oh my god, I misspelled Yuengleng?? The oldest brewery in the US? I'm losing my edge....
hawk993,
To respond to you PM, of course I am not threatening you. Chill out, man. I just meant that anyone who is stupid enough to scratch hell out of their paint removing a plastic film should remain completely anonymous. Are you in the witness protection program or something? So keep using your alias and disguise your tag number and you'll be fine....
Old 08-31-2004, 02:42 PM
adsc4s
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Tom Larkins
So as I understand this, my car is black. The stonegaurd is actually painted from the factory and its similar to a 3M clear bra in its removal & application and can be ordered from Porsche.
Tom, the stoneguard on your black car is clear, it is not painted black. At least, mine was not on my C4S.

And yes, it was a PITA to remove as it was "aged". Small little pieces mixed in with broken fingernails!
Old 08-31-2004, 03:01 PM
hawk993
Racer

Mike Capp, I reported your last post to the adminstrator too.

I love the way people turn on you in Rennlist.

Old 08-31-2004, 03:04 PM
Agro1
Banned

Originally Posted by hawk993
Has anyone noticed in Rennlist forums if you don't agree with the masses someone comes along and makes you out to be a jerk...like Mike Cap does? I guess we are not allowed to hold a different opinion or to tell something whether it is true or not if it does not go along with what everyone else says.
Hawk - LOL Get used to it man...And FWIW, I think Mike was just messin' with ya

Burt - I used the same method others have described. The worn guards are a bit of a PITA to get off, they are on there pretty good. Just peel up a corner, and then start to pull it off, it requires some effort, but go really slowly and gradually - keeping even pressure as you pull. Letting the car sit in the sun to warm them (and the adhesive) up is a good idea (as Pete mentioned).
The only other snag I ran into was that on certain areas, the factory guards had taken some serious hits and underneath the paint was slightly damaged/cracked by whatever hit it. Nothing noticable unless you are looking at the area really really closely, but I could see that if you yanked the guard off quickly it might have caused the paint to chip and come off with it Just go slow and use the 3M adhesive remover to clean the surface when you're done before you apply the new ones. I also used the invinca-shield replacements and am very happy with them. They were very easy to install as was the entire front end piece(s). Again, just go slow
Old 08-31-2004, 03:10 PM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

hawk993,

Hey, that's Mike Cap (one 'p'). You don't want to confuse me with Andy Capp. You are way too tense, man. I suggest a few minutes viewing this link:

https://rennlist.com/forums/off-topic/136268-grid-girls-pic-required.html
Old 09-01-2004, 01:35 AM
Rob 97 993c2
Three Wheelin'

A question: are all the 3m film protection coverings basically the same? Is there a difference between Invisi-shield versus Armor-fend, or other ones? Do we have a preference? same cost?
Old 09-01-2004, 09:21 AM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Rob,

The actual products are all about the same and may all be the same 3M film. I am pretty sure this is the case.

I have installed both the InvincaShield and the Xpel and the InvincaShield is the easiest DIY. More "notches" to allow the compound curves to be covered easier, etc. The InvincaShield website and ordering is straight forward and they are a pleasure to deal with. They also provide a good video. There are a lot of options for our cars for coverage w/InvincaShield - higher up the hood, TT bumper w/o bumperettes. If you need some help let me know.

Also, if you want to drive your baby Upstate, I'll help you with the install. We can do it at the hangar. Let me warm up the expresso machine and crank up the 42" Samsung hi-def.....

BTW, I was at Burdick Porsche last Saturday to look at the 997. Nice. Very nice. Although there were more people looking at my C2. I digress, sorry. They told me they sold that silver TT, the one you were interested in last fall for the full asking price. $72k, or something like that. They are pretty scarce up here in the boonies.

It'd be fun to do the install with you on the InvincaShield sometime. Let me know.
Old 09-01-2004, 12:39 PM
Ron
Addict
Rennlist Member

The actual products are all about the same and may all be the same 3M film. I am pretty sure this is the case.
I think they are made of the exact same material too, that is the ones sold by Porsche dealers now and what is sold by Invinca Shield.

Initially I bought the ones from Porsche and they did not seem to be as thick as the ones I took off my car. So I returned them. As I recall they were way more than the ones I got from Invinca Shield, not certain how much but I think at least twice as much maybe more and I got them from Phil, at Suncoast.

The corners on the Porsche dealer provided stoneguards seem to be cut a little more precisely than the ones from Invinca Shield, this may have something to do with the equipment used to cut them. The ones from Invica Shield were fine by me and since I'll probably replace the stoneguard every few years or so I'll stay with Invinca Shield.
Old 09-01-2004, 02:57 PM
Kolbjorn S
Pro

As Carrera Mike says, white, silver and black as well (at least) comes in two versions, painted and clear. The CLEAR stone guards that Porsche supply have part #s 993 559 325/6 07 (to my understanding), while the PAINTED ones ends with the paint code: In my case Arctic silver which has paint code L92U; the part number ends with a '92T'. I don't know about your car (Forest Green) but you better check it out to be safe.

Quick Reply: Stone guard replacement