Stone guard replacement

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 05:16 PM
kurtv
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stone guard replacement

After reading some of the material about stone guard replacements, I decided to take my 1996 black metallic 993tt to a local shop. My stone guards were original and had developed spider web cracks. I had been warned by a Porsche dealer owned collision center that 50% of the time the paint can come off when removed. The local shop used heat guns and "goo gone" and some other techniques to remove the plastic and glue residue. It took them quite some time to remove all the glue and replace the plastic but the paint was untouched. Cost was around $200 complete so I felt it was a good deal.
Old 03-29-2010, 05:40 PM
TheBen
Drifting

Received 127 Likes on 95 Posts

200 including the stone guards...or just labor?
Old 03-29-2010, 05:48 PM
kurtv
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default Stone guard replacement

The cost to replace the stone guards was $200 which included labor and the stone guards themselves. I believe that they used Clear Shield paint protection film system. They download and use a computer to cut out the shield they need. Seemed like a good deal to me.
Old 03-29-2010, 07:37 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

wow, old thread.

So, the paint won't come off... funny how some shops say that.

I really hope they used 14 mil material! That area of the car really takes some big rock hits
Old 03-29-2010, 08:02 PM
Rdelvalle
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 14 Posts

I bought the original stone gurds from the Porsche dealer (just me I like OEM). I thought about doing it myself but the original was cracked and baked. I went to the paint shop the dealer (the Collection) uses and he did it for $125. I am glad I had him do it as it took his employee and the owner a good hour and half to do it. This was because of the condition my stone guard was. If I have to replace them again I will probably do it myself having watched how they did it. Also the stone guards are not in as bad a shape as they were. I am glad I took it to those guys. If the SG are not cooked and you have seen it done, it is not a difficult job, you do need a lot of patience to get the bubbles out. He left some small bubbles which he stated they will disapear. When I got home I started trying to get rid of them until I gave up. Next day they were gone.
Old 03-29-2010, 09:01 PM
CarmG993
Burning Brakes

I have replaced mine once before and will be doing it again. First one come off in a few pieces and the second almost in one entire piece.
You can basically pull back and peel it off. Do not pull it off. Peel it.

Quick Reply: Stone guard replacement