Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

993 Hi Fi Speaker Upgrade -- Front and Rear

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2017, 12:00 AM
drb930
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Anyone know where to get these speaker grills?
I want to add the Polk Plate speakers to the HiFi sound car and need grills, but they are NLA at Porsche :-(

Thanks,
Dave
Old 05-10-2017, 12:14 AM
will007
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 30 Posts

hi Dave:

The grills are available. Sunset Porsche Parts -- SPEAKER GRILLE - PORSCHE (944-555-149-01) -- they are $88 a piece! Expensive, but worth it.

Remember to grind off the corner edges of the Polk speakers, then the new grills will just snap right in place. Do a test fit off the car so you can see how much you need to shave off.

best, Will
Old 05-10-2017, 12:18 AM
drb930
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by will007
hi Dave:

The grills are available. Sunset Porsche Parts -- SPEAKER GRILLE - PORSCHE (944-555-149-01) -- they are $88 a piece! Expensive, but worth it.

Remember to grind off the corner edges of the Polk speakers, then the new grills will just snap right in place. Do a test fit off the car so you can see how much you need to shave off.

best, Will
Thanks Will,

@ $176.00 + shipping they should be gold plated, but I guess i'm goin to buy them.

Thanks,
Dave
Old 05-01-2023, 10:30 AM
Vince993s
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear hifi speaker grill removal

Will,
awesome notes, my goal is very simple, I just want to remove my rear shelf hifi speaker grills as a previous owner must have scratched them when installing or removing window tint. I just want to refinish the grills. I have a plastic trim removal set. How should I go about removing the grills? I owned the car from 2003-2015 when I was forced to sell it after a cycling accident left me paralyzed from the neck down. I had a remarkable recovery and was able to buy her back and am trying to restore her. I have many deficits but am able to get in the back seat with some difficulty but with limited strength and dexterity I still want to try to remove them myself. I did try to pry a cover off but with limited force as I didn’t want to break anything. How much pressure is needed? Is there a location on the grill that I should focus on? (I have changed the front grills and mid range myself so I have some abilities. Any suggestions / pearls of advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Vince
Old 05-01-2023, 12:19 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,518 Likes on 1,073 Posts

Hi Will,
An outstanding solution with a very well-executed install.
I ended up with something like this using the door cavity volume as you did. Really helps the bass response,
I also added a bass recovery digital signal processor in lieu of a subwoofer. It added a lot of refinement to the music with an acoustic guitar.
Andy
Old 05-01-2023, 02:10 PM
LimeyBoy
Rennlist Member

Received 208 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by Vince993s
Will,
awesome notes, my goal is very simple, I just want to remove my rear shelf hifi speaker grills as a previous owner must have scratched them when installing or removing window tint. I just want to refinish the grills. I have a plastic trim removal set. How should I go about removing the grills? I owned the car from 2003-2015 when I was forced to sell it after a cycling accident left me paralyzed from the neck down. I had a remarkable recovery and was able to buy her back and am trying to restore her. I have many deficits but am able to get in the back seat with some difficulty but with limited strength and dexterity I still want to try to remove them myself. I did try to pry a cover off but with limited force as I didn’t want to break anything. How much pressure is needed? Is there a location on the grill that I should focus on? (I have changed the front grills and mid range myself so I have some abilities. Any suggestions / pearls of advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Vince
Hey Vince
These rear grills are just a push fit. There are 4 tabs per grill (when in car = 2x on front edge, 2x back edge, just about an inch from the corners) and you use a plastic trim pick (or similar) to pry the grills up and off. So goto a corner, move in about and inch then pry the grill up. Be sure not to push the tip of your pry tool too far under the grill lip, or you'll also go under the actual speaker lip, and the speaker is screwed down. You'll be trying to pry the speaker up....

Unfortunately - these grills are thin (and likely old) plastic, i broke both getting them off last year and had to buy new. So when i went to install the new, I let the new grills heat up a little in the sun to add flexibility, i got them snapped on with no damage. So maybe leave your car out in sun a few hours beating down on the old grills before you start....

Quick Reply: 993 Hi Fi Speaker Upgrade -- Front and Rear