993 Forum 1995-1998

Considering a change...thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2016, 12:23 PM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Considering a change...thoughts?

So. I'm not even close to deciding on what the change is, but I want to upgrade. Thought I'd ask here. Please keep it pointed and constructive. Vague "that option sucks" or getting snippy isn't helpful.

Background:
True dual use car (single car for the family, road trips and DE in Red). I don't have/need a daily driver as I live in NYC and walk or use the subway.

Among options are to upgrade the 993 engine significantly (at or over 400 HP) and with some $ via reputable mechanic(s) to ensure engine longevity. Suspension, clutch, LWFW, trans have all been upgraded already.

OR

Sell and get a 997.2 S or GTS. I've heard the Turbos are too heavy for the track, and though a GT3 would be heaven, no rear seats and registered with DOT as 2 seater makes it a non starter for me.

So I'm seeking thoughts from those who have made such a change, OR those who considered and checked out vehicles and stayed with the 993 for pros and cons I haven't yet considered.

Pros to sticking with 993:
Air cooled, more nostalgia, know history at this point, more visceral driving experience through the range, easier to feel you are driving fast

Cons:
Money into a classic and might not get it back
Have to spend $ to do it right
Still 22 year old car

Pros to S/GTS:
Newer car / less mileage, creature comforts, added safety, already about 400 HP from the start and made that way, very easy to drive fast.

Cons:
A lot more 997 bodies on the road
Lots of driving aids

Thoughts?

Last edited by JPS; 12-19-2016 at 12:54 PM.
Old 12-19-2016, 12:32 PM
squidge
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 45 Posts

The fact that you're even asking this question means you should sell.
Old 12-19-2016, 12:34 PM
AllMine
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Family= 997 for the additional safety electronics.
I feel 400hp is not realistic without forced induction.
Sell 993.... breathe... evaluate true needs vs wants.... then 997 if it still lines up...
if family = kids then back seat is a concern
Shoukd have money left over if baught a 997... cash for suspension upgrades.
My 2 cents
Curt
Old 12-19-2016, 12:45 PM
JB 911
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts

Hi JPS I've been reading your various threads and I don't think you'll be happy with either of your suggested scenarios. (upgrade vs sell) The clear solution is you need a second car
Old 12-19-2016, 12:48 PM
shadow993
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

#993... get a 2nd car... you will miss it.

Having a 993 and a 997tt:
You will like the creature comforts power and handling of the 997. BUT BUTT... the car has no soul. It doesn't give you that connected feel and involve you as much.

However, for a daily driver I would go to a 997. I would drive my 997tt as a daily driver before my 993.
Old 12-19-2016, 01:08 PM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

The fact that you're even asking this question means you should sell.
Repeat:
Please keep it pointed and constructive. Vague "that option sucks" or getting snippy isn't helpful.
Sell 993.... breathe... evaluate true needs vs wants.... then 997 if it still lines up...
I wouldn't sell the 993 without a clear path. In fact, I wouldn't sell before having sourced the next solution, if that is the path.

for a daily driver I would go to a 997
Well, I don't have/use a daily driver or I'd probably agree.

I don't think you'll be happy with either of your suggested scenarios.
Well I'm hoping to be.

The clear solution is you need a second car
Non-starter, sadly. Having a dedicated track car isn't really in the cards financially.
Old 12-19-2016, 01:16 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

Yes, sell. Please.

All of your threads inquiring about performance this or modification that are reminiscent of Steve 96C4S' threads where he posted for many years wondering if he should keep his 993 C4S or not. I really like Steve, but it was abundantly clear that, like you, he should move onto another car. He found a gorgeous silver 997 turbo that he loves and that I still drool over.

If your desire is to keep up with the horsepower wars in the red run group, you have (at least) six choices:

1. Become a better driver and blow away the slower drivers in in the faster cars. It can be done, but you have to be brilliant. Pretty sure Leh Keen or Patrick Long could show tail lights to 75% of your region's red run group. Along the way to that brilliance, be sure to take out a good track insurance policy because you will crash heavily at least once.

2. Accept your driving skill and not give a damn about other cars passing you.

3. Drop down to the black or white run group.

4. Run with a different organization.

5. Run fresh slicks.

6. Buy your way to more speed. There's no shame in that, for most of the people in my area have done the same.

Every year you wait is one more year of faster cars coming onto the track, and one more year of your car seeming slower and slower. The answer is clear: get a faster car.
Old 12-19-2016, 01:23 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 407 Likes on 229 Posts

Interesting.

Andreas
Old 12-19-2016, 01:28 PM
squidge
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JPS
Repeat:
Constructive addendum to my comment: The fact that you're asking this question means that you don't have enough perspective on making your 993 a reliable 400hp track monster.

If you had the background to do the build yourself, you'd already realize what you're asking for here is a tremendous amount of work, frustration, blood, sweat, and tears, with huge compromises on drivability. You also wouldn't make comments like "I've heard turbos are too heavy for the track."

If you could write a check to a shop to have them do it, you wouldn't be saying it's "not in the cards financially" to have a dedicated track car and separate daily.

I find it surprising that a "national pca instructor" is fixated on a horsepower number. You should be the first to know that horsepower =/= lap times, and there are different ways to go about a build. Like adding lightness, trick suspension, and the best tires you can get.

But if you're truly set on putting down a specific amount of power, get into a car that's a better platform for those numbers. Like a 997. But you're giving up a lot of character there just to make yourself feel better in what's not even a competitive environment. And adding a bunch of weight and complexity in the process. What's the point?
Old 12-19-2016, 01:28 PM
il pirata
Banned

Received 166 Likes on 104 Posts

You can have a great track car or a great street car, anything in between is always a compromise.

Do you value cruising with the kids or running faster at the track more? The kids are not going to fit easily in the back of a 911 for long.
Old 12-19-2016, 02:09 PM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

but you have to be brilliant
LOL. True. I don't claim to be.
Accept your driving skill and not give a damn about other cars passing you.
This is certainly a first world problem, I agree.

Squidge, I would appreciate it if you would stop posting on this thread. You have no idea the research I'm doing, which is quite extensive. Please stop.

The answer is clear: get a faster car.
That answer is quite clear. The path to getting there is not, hence me asking the advice of those with more seat time in both cars.

in between is always a compromise
Believe me, I understand better than most.
Old 12-19-2016, 02:21 PM
squidge
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JPS
Squidge, I would appreciate it if you would stop posting on this thread. You have no idea the research I'm doing, which is quite extensive. Please stop.
Old 12-19-2016, 02:22 PM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thank you.
Old 12-19-2016, 02:28 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 506 Likes on 187 Posts

Old 12-19-2016, 02:31 PM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

LOL ilko...wife thinks so. I'd love your current stable...seems a perfect mix, but just not in the cards for me in the near future.

Quick Reply: Considering a change...thoughts?