Another newbie cab question...

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2003, 03:44 AM
SS 81 SC
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Another newbie cab question...

Hi,

thanks to all who responded to my previous post re: the use of the boot.

I had the chance to put the top down a few times over the weekend and decided to use the windstop and the boot. When I went to install the windstop, I found that the rod that goes into the left side seemed a little short and I could not find a way to 'lock' in the windstop other than the red lever. Is this normal?

Also can you put the top up with the windstop attached? I noticed that it seems to stay connected and ends up above your head.

I read over the owner's manual 3x to see if there are answers to these two questions but I couldn't find anything.

Happy motoring.
Old 11-03-2003, 07:27 AM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 65 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Re: Another newbie cab question...

Originally posted by SS 81 SC

I had the chance to put the top down a few times over the weekend and decided to use the windstop and the boot. When I went to install the windstop, I found that the rod that goes into the left side seemed a little short and I could not find a way to 'lock' in the windstop other than the red lever. Is this normal?

Also can you put the top up with the windstop attached? I noticed that it seems to stay connected and ends up above your head.

ummm... not exactly sure what is your first question, but to your second yes you can put the top up with the wind stop connected. As a matter of fact I have never disconected the wind stop, just a couple of times lowered it using the red lever.
Old 11-03-2003, 10:13 AM
jda407
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I second Danny....definitely can put the top up with wind stop.... and I'm not sure of your first question either.
Old 11-03-2003, 01:22 PM
fbfisher
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The stop can be lowered without detaching it or disconnecting the red lever/clip. Just push it back. It only needs to be removed if anyone wants to sit back there.

As to your first question, you should find a red button that acuates a wire at the bottom of the female end that holds the stop in the housing via a notch on the male end on the drivers side.
Old 11-03-2003, 06:18 PM
SS 81 SC
Track Day

Default Maybe I can ask the question this way...

As to my first question, it relates to how the windstop mounts into the 'brackets'. I followed the instructions in the manual...install right side first and then the left side. Line up the arrows on the left side and rotate until you hear it engage...then attach the red lever.

What I found was that the rod on the left side was shorter than the right side and I could pop the left side out of the left side holder...there did not seem to be a way to secure it other than the red lever. Is this normal?

I wish I had a digital camera right now...because a picture is worth a thousand words.

Many thanks.
Old 11-03-2003, 07:55 PM
fbfisher
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Stewart - the male end of the left (drivers) side of the screen is grey metal and has a groove on top that guides a pin and is notched around the entire circumference. The pin is what aligns the arrows and allows it to be removed when the release button is pushed. The pin that goes through the groove is located inside the top of the female end of the (left) drivers side screen housing. Stick your finger in and rub along the top of the inside and you will feel it. I have found that this pin can at times come up through the housing and needs to be pushed back in.

Inside on the bottom of this female end of the housing you will notice a silver wire that is actuated by the red release button located on top of the housing. This silver wire is what secures the screen in place and allows the screen to be in a flat or upright position without it coming out.

You can remove the housing and adjust the wire/button if they are not working properly.
Old 11-03-2003, 09:33 PM
amfp
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

If you don't have the installation instructions, and still need help, send PM and I can fax the info to you. I know when I installed my windstop about 5 years ago, it was a little tricky - especially without reading the instructions - first. But as other said on this board, the windstop is a terrific item to have installed.
Old 11-06-2003, 09:54 PM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Make sure you are putting the passenger side in correctly...there are two prongs that look like they would work, but one is actually just a guide or stopper. You should be using the lower one, and then the driver's side will click right in. It stays put even without the lever and the red tab over the lever, but is much more stable once it is in.

Once in, zipped, etc, with the top down you can just reach around behind you and push it down or pull it up...it just flops into position easily.

It rocks, though I do always keep an eye on it when putting the top up or down...it has popped out once or twice on the passenger side, but I think I need to adjust the roof in general.
Old 05-29-2008, 01:13 AM
2nd993
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was looking for a good place to post this question.

I've had my cab for a year and I normally do NOT zip the windscreen into the headliner whenI drive with the top up. I've notice recently that that the windscreen droops some on the inside of the car and now brushes the top of my head unless i zip it into the headliner.

Is this normal?
Old 05-29-2008, 10:35 AM
95FL993CAB
Three Wheelin'

Well either you are getting taller or there is an issue
I have always zipped mine so I am not sure what the issue is. Did you look to see if it is in the same position as before when you have the top down?
Old 05-29-2008, 10:43 AM
2nd993
Instructor

its drooped down a little more than it use to be after i had the top replaced. so its moved and now i notice it even more with the more upright position of the new seats i put in.

i guess i just wondered if everyone zips it in or lets it fly - i have to zip it now but I lower the top alot and i'm expecting that the zipper will fail at some point in the next 24 months and i'll be looking at a new headliner and/or wind stop in the log run even though they are fine now.
Old 05-29-2008, 12:11 PM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 357 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by 2nd993
Is this normal?
Yes, it is
Old 05-29-2008, 05:28 PM
2nd993
Instructor

hmm - well ok then. zipped it is.
another step i'll need to train my wife on and wonder if she'll remember - all the time knowing she wont. can't wait to hear what happens when you activate the cab top while foregetting to unzip the wind stop.

Quick Reply: Another newbie cab question...