Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

18" or 17" Winter Tyres - which to choose?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2003, 11:55 AM
Mike in Switzerland
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 18" or 17" Winter Tyres - which to choose?

Dear all

I run my car with 18" Michelin Pilot`s on Sport Classic II`s in the summer but now the weather is with us again it is time to swap back to the winter tyres.

For the last 3 years I have used the original 17" Cup 2 wheels with Dunlop M2`s and these will probably need replacing this winter.

My question is regarding safety but is also partly cosmetic.

(i) Does anybody run 18" winter tyres on their car (993 Carrera 2 for me), and is the increased size over 17" a useful benefit (I have read that it is believed that smaller (or thinner) is better for winter tyres)?

(ii) What brand do you recommend (I have seen some endorsements for Michelin Alpin)

(iii) Since my Sport Classic`s are getting a bit tatty I was debating about getting another set of 18" wheels anyway (Carrera 5 spokes for easy cleaning) and giving the Sport Calssic`s a refurb over the Winter. I like the way that 18" fill out the arches and since my car runs with the RSR look (GT2 front and rear wings with RS side-skirts) I feel that a 17" alloy makes it look a little "underwheeled" in winter (if there is such an expression!)

Any thoughts on sizes, makes and general advice is much appreciated.

Regards

Mike
Old 11-02-2003, 12:22 PM
Ray Calvo
Passed On
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Talking

(i) Does anybody run 18" winter tyres on their car (993 Carrera 2 for me), and is the increased size over 17" a useful benefit (I have read that it is believed that smaller (or thinner) is better for winter tyres)?

Smaller and thinner is better. You have 17" wheels already? Slap winter tires on them, or go for 16" wheels/tires. Porsche recommends 16" or 17" wheels on the 993, 205/50 front and 225/45 rear in 17" size . They also say 36 psi /2.5 bar pressure front and rear.

(ii) What brand do you recommend (I have seen some endorsements for Michelin Alpin)

In years past, I ran Gislaved Norfrosts on my Audi Coupe Quattro with great luck; was able to get thru 13" of unplowed snow uphill. Later Audi A4 with Nokian Haakapelitta 1 was far poorer; don't know if this was a tire or car issue. Just got a set of Bridgestone Blizzaks to replace the Nokians but they haven't gone on the car yet.

(iii) (snip) I feel that a 17" alloy makes it look a little "underwheeled" in winter (if there is such an expression!)

You want to look pretty or you want snow/ice traction? Stop worrying about looks and get the 17" and a good set of pure snow tires. Better yet, put the Porsche in the garage over the winter and get a used Audi Quattro for winter wear and tear, esp. since you don't have a Carrera 4.
Old 11-02-2003, 12:32 PM
joey bagadonuts
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Ray Calvo
You want to look pretty or you want snow/ice traction?
Old 11-02-2003, 01:40 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,971 Likes on 2,815 Posts

The manual recommends 16" wheels (in 7" and 8" widths) for snow tires
Old 11-02-2003, 01:58 PM
Mike in Switzerland
Instructor

Wink

Thanks Ray!

Are these tyres Porsche certified? Insurers in Europe (and the Swiss motor vehicles control) insist on certified wheels and tyres.

Whilst I respect those brands individually (I was in Finland all last week and they know a thing or two about winter driving), I am not sure if they are recommended here. I will check with Porsche AG tomorrow.

What got me thinking about the 18" option is that all the 996 Carrera`s and boxsters I have seen run 18" winter tyres.

Regards

Mike
Old 11-02-2003, 02:32 PM
S3
Instructor

I pondered the same question for a while. Ended up getting the 17" turbo twists. Have 205 in front and 255 at the rear. The 18" would have been wider at the front and rear (225 and 265) - also cost a lot more. If the tires are too wide it will cause the car to float - same thing with slush. Also the road conditions in winter tend to be worse than summer - 17" gives a little extra comfort as well.

I have Dunlop Winter SP. Works fine so far, but need to try them out in real winter conditions before I can tell for sure. Don't know if Porsche certifies tires though.

You can also check out the FVD site (News) - no affiliation.

FVD
Old 11-02-2003, 11:50 PM
YellowC4S
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Will a 16" wheel actually fit on a C4S with the turbo brakes?
Old 11-03-2003, 12:17 AM
graham_mitchell
Banned

Received 443 Likes on 242 Posts

I was reading the latest issue of a Swedish car magazine today in which there was a winter tire group test.

The Continental tire came out on top, beating the Gislaveds, Nokians and others. Of course, each tire tends to have individual strengths so you may place a different amount of importance on aspects such as ice performance.

It could have been the Conti WinterContact TS 790V but I will have to check.

If you read a few winter tire group tests you should start to get an idea for which tire suits your needs the best.
Old 11-03-2003, 03:55 AM
Mike in Switzerland
Instructor

One useful environmental point to consider can be found here:

http://www.ifeh.org/sci-reports-11.2000.html

I was unaware of this!

Last edited by Mike in Switzerland; 11-03-2003 at 04:25 AM.

Quick Reply: 18" or 17" Winter Tyres - which to choose?