Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2016, 12:35 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Anybody use an oil extractor?

I'm thinking about buying this:
https://www.griotsgarage.com/product...d+extractor.do

Anybody here use this or one of the other similar fluid extractor's available to empty the oil tank before removing the plug and filter?

Thanks in advance .. any help appreciated.
JP
Old 11-29-2016, 12:46 PM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

JP,
Harbor Frieght sells a similar pump, not in physical configuration, but in net results. Its about 8 bux. I use it for pumping differential oil, into the case of my Tacoma. I use the gravity method (remove the drain plug) to empty the oil tank on the 993.
The following users liked this post:
M. Schneider (05-14-2023)
Old 11-29-2016, 01:39 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Thanks ... I did find a couple threads since posting. My intention is to avoid the 'spill and mess' that everyone says is almost inevitable because of the location and angle of the tank plug and filter. Looks like I can empty the tank by siphon and at least mitigate most of that .. then pull the plug and filter on the sump and the filter on the tank and be good to go.
Old 11-29-2016, 01:41 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

oh ... and for those others that are thinking about it ... you can go down through the oil fill neck if you remove the filler extension tube. It's got a screen filter on the end of it .. just pull it up gently and when it resists keep pulling, it's just a friction fit. Of course there will always be at least a 1/2 quart to a quart of oil left in the lines etc. just the nature of the beast.
Old 11-29-2016, 05:43 PM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Received 563 Likes on 411 Posts

My Indy takes half the box from the oil filter and wedges it into place to deflect the oil away from the undercarriage and directly into the receptacle tank. Works very well at eliminating the mess.
Old 11-29-2016, 06:40 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,573 Likes on 1,109 Posts

Use the extractor for my VW. Unfortunately, my extractor holds five quarts and the VW holds 5.7 quarts so I do it in two loads. The VW dealer informs me that they use this method. For a 993 not sure of the advantage as one needs to replace the oil filter on the oil drain housing anyway and the drain plug is very easy to get to. On the VW the drain plug can only be reached by unbolting structural components so using an extractor is a no-brainer.

On my993 the amount of oil that drains from the engine case is so small that for other than inspection reasons just draining the oil in the oil tank may be a reasonable alternative.
Old 11-29-2016, 09:37 PM
Nurburger
Rennlist Member

Received 703 Likes on 292 Posts

My guy uses about $1 worth of heavy duty foil to mold a perfectly shaped funnel / shield. Works well but I guess he's done it enough times to know..
Old 11-30-2016, 12:05 AM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

I use one on the other cars. As noted above, mine also holds up to about 6 quarts. easy to do, makes no mess. I got mine off Amazon.
Old 11-30-2016, 12:06 AM
Allen
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I use this one for lawn mower and my Toyotas. Works great.
Old 11-30-2016, 02:04 AM
bcameron59
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Nurburger
My guy uses about $1 worth of heavy duty foil to mold a perfectly shaped funnel / shield. Works well but I guess he's done it enough times to know..
Great idea. I was going to get one of these form-a-funnel things for my next oil change, but I think I'll try the foil idea instead.
Attached Images  
Old 11-30-2016, 07:24 AM
flyingchappy
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Allen
I use this one for lawn mower and my Toyotas. Works great.
I have this one, same as Griots. Somewhere in my basement. Used it on previous vehicles many years ago but never on the 993. I just remember it taking a long time to extract and didn't save any time. I'm going to give it a try again.
Old 11-30-2016, 07:45 AM
initial
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use the same extractor for my boat. It is slow. Works best with very warm oil. I don't use it on the 993.
Old 11-30-2016, 09:31 AM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Foxman
My Indy takes half the box from the oil filter and wedges it into place to deflect the oil away
Originally Posted by Nurburger
My guy uses about $1 worth of heavy duty foil to mold a perfectly shaped funnel / shield.
Originally Posted by bcameron59
Great idea. I was going to get one of these form-a-funnel things for my next oil change.
Deflecting the stream works well .. very creative solutions .. I'm such a spendthrift tool junky, I bought two form a funnel's, one 8" and one 16", on Amazon last year ... forms any shape you need, easy to clean, store flat .. love those things.

Thanks for all the input guys. I appreciate those trying to save me from myself but I fear I'm a lost soul. I pulled the trigger ... 15% off free ship (after adding some dry car wash spray ... heh ... ) made it worth the gamble.

What I like about the Griot's unit is you pressurize the tank with a few pumps to start the siphon then walk away. It fills itself and shuts off automatically when it's full, will work up to 90 weight viscosity and after talking to Griot's and another private user, it's fairly fast with warm oil. Also comes with a brake system bleeding tool which is a handy feature.

I know ... I'm hopeless. This is what happens when you fix up your garage. A lesson to take note of.
Old 11-30-2016, 09:34 AM
Kein_Ersatz
Rennlist Member

Received 277 Likes on 187 Posts

Pull the plug, it will test you ability to problem solve, keeps the mind active and sharp, which pays dividends when driving the 993.

Foil funnel/ramp/half pipe will be your friend. More mess dropping the little (engine) filter.
M. Schneider (05-29-2020)
Old 11-30-2016, 10:40 AM
techman1
Burning Brakes

Received 49 Likes on 37 Posts

I have the original, made by MityVac, I think. Great for the E46 BMW, easy access thru dipstick hole. And the oil filter access is so easy also. I get the oil real hot before changing. gotten it down to about 15 minutes.

For the 993 I use a rubbermaid underbed storage container when doing an oil change. It is low and covers all of the possible drip areas when removing the oil filter. Afterwards I prop it up a little and use the extractor to suck out the oil, wipe the container and put it up.
Works great for catching debris during a brake job, just put it under the area, wash everything, then hose out the container when done.

Used it a time or two for odd jobs. Once when I overfilled a little on the oil change, just sucked a little out. Next when doing a power steering fluid change. If you think out of the box, it is pretty useful.

Quick Reply: Anybody use an oil extractor?