Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake Caliper Rebuilding Service?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2016, 03:14 AM
squidge
Pro

Received 87 Likes on 45 Posts

Haven't done the job yet, but I've read that if you keep the brake pedal pressed down while disconnecting the lines, only minimal fluid will drain out. Something like this, I imagine. Maybe someone can confirm.
Old 11-14-2016, 01:12 AM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by _snowbird_
I'm looking to rebuild and refinish my calipers too. What do you guys use to cap off the brake lines when the calipers are off the car? I did a search but didn't see anything come up.
Im gonna use these, snowbird.

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...2-c2-base.html
Old 11-14-2016, 01:13 PM
trophy
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by squidge
Haven't done the job yet, but I've read that if you keep the brake pedal pressed down while disconnecting the lines, only minimal fluid will drain out. Something like this, I imagine. Maybe someone can confirm.
You don't want to do that. Here is what you want to do.
  • Take out the bleed nipples and plug the holes (pen lids, Plugs nine9six refers to above etc) While the caliper is on the car, dont press the brake when you put the plugs in it will blow the plugs out and spray fluid everywhere.
  • Disconnect the brake line at the hard line to flex line junction (leave the brake line in the back of the caliper)
  • Put the Bleed nipple into the line to stop the fluid dripping. (car side)

Doing it this was you will only loose a few drops of fluid, in the time it takes to remove the line and put in the bleed nipple.
Old 11-14-2016, 01:40 PM
hoggel
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

I've known Eric Shea (PMB Performance) for years. Good guy! If you attended PCA Parade in SLC or Monterey you probably saw him leading tours in his beautiful 914. I thought he only did the zinc coated early calipers but I could be wrong. If he does 993 rebuilds they will be excellent with excellent service. I'll ask him about it next time I see him. Or you could give him a call, 855-786-7101.
Old 11-14-2016, 05:24 PM
uniquenamehere
Three Wheelin'

Received 141 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by _snowbird_
I'm looking to rebuild and refinish my calipers too. What do you guys use to cap off the brake lines when the calipers are off the car? I did a search but didn't see anything come up.
Hey snowbird, are you talking about capping the actual lines? If so a friend of mine picked up a set of fluid line stoppers from ECS:

https://www.ecstuning.com/Search/Sit...per/ES2748908/

It's an idea if you're looking for that type of product... not sure if it will work on a 993, so ymmv.
Old 11-14-2016, 05:56 PM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Sorry if I misunderstood your line capping question...

...And nice tip that Steven posted.

https://www.google.com/search?q=brak...obile&ie=UTF-8
Old 11-15-2016, 10:34 PM
earossi
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

The 914 guy referenced in a prior posting is Rich Johnson in Dallas, Texas.

I had Rich rebuild and re-finish a set of Boxster calipers for my 914/6 conversion. Pricing was very competitive and they were as perfect as one could expect.

If interested, contact Rich at a914guy@aol.com.
Old 11-16-2016, 05:53 PM
_snowbird_
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by trophy
You don't want to do that. Here is what you want to do.
  • Take out the bleed nipples and plug the holes (pen lids, Plugs nine9six refers to above etc) While the caliper is on the car, dont press the brake when you put the plugs in it will blow the plugs out and spray fluid everywhere.
  • Disconnect the brake line at the hard line to flex line junction (leave the brake line in the back of the caliper)
  • Put the Bleed nipple into the line to stop the fluid dripping. (car side)

Doing it this was you will only loose a few drops of fluid, in the time it takes to remove the line and put in the bleed nipple.
That's a great tip. Thanks Steven!

Quick Reply: Brake Caliper Rebuilding Service?