Sponsored by:

Rally Participants ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2003, 07:36 PM
lexpilot
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rally Participants ?

I see no discussion about citizen rallys. Either time-speed-distance or the trivial pursuit type. Does anyone here engage in these events. We do not have any in Bend but our population is only 55,000 in the city and maybe 130,000 in a 50 mile radius.
I would like to hear from any rally organizers out there. What does it take to stage a successful rally ?
Old 10-30-2003, 12:59 AM
Jim Morton
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lexpilot:

I am a long time rallyist ! I have been a rally entrant for over 25 years and have written 4 rallies, 2 TSD, 1 gimmick and 1 mix/with 1 day of pure Monte Carlo over that timeline.

After 10+ years of road racing and another 5 or so instructing at track events, have I returned to rallying as my principal interest with my P-Cars.

I just finished being the rallymaster of a 2 day "Mille Miglia" rally of sorts hosted for a private group I have been a part of for many years. The recent rally was a combination of TSD, photo/gimmick and Monte Carlo styles.

Personally, I like the Monte Carlo style these days and you traverse (transit zone) from place to place with a small timed in-marker. Manning the Monte Carlo's is a lot easier than the TSD's. Also, Monte Carlo's seem to raise the least amount of suspicion from locals...

As far as staging a rally goes...From a rallymaster's perspective, I took me about 7 full days of free time to test drive and sleuth the 850+ miles of roads. Assembling the documentation took about 10 additional evenings.

FWIW, it is nearly impossible to break even or make money hosting a rally. It must be a labor of love and you have to like driving remote backroads to death. After all of the time spent driving the remote backroads, I did not mind the time assembling the docs. Sharing the route with my fellow rallyists was a real treat and very rewarding.

From what I see down here is the SF Bay Area, PCA is one of the few marque clubs left hosting rallies. Feel free to PM me if you want more details.

Regards
Old 10-30-2003, 08:31 AM
Dudley
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You might look up your local SCCA club for Rallys in your area. Most PCA clubs seem to concentrate their efforts on DEs and AutoXs.

Dave

Quick Reply: Rally Participants ?