Sponsored by:

Slightly bent sunroof

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2003, 09:29 AM
johnt53
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Slightly bent sunroof

I was out staring at my new-to-me car in the garage (I know, I know), and in the ceiling light reflection noticed what appears to be a slight bend or bowing in the sunroof, on the driver's side rear. It is apparent to the touch as well. It seals properly (i.e., doesn't leak) and there are no unusual noises when it opens and shuts. The car hasn't been wrecked. My question is, Has anyone else experienced this, what might have caused it, and what is the best way to repair it--one of the paintless dent removal shops? I searched this forum but found nothing related.
Old 10-29-2003, 09:47 AM
graham_mitchell
Banned

Received 443 Likes on 242 Posts

Is the bend over a wide area, as if the roof has been twisted, or does it look like it resulted from an impact, with a shallow crater distortion?
Old 10-29-2003, 10:28 AM
johnt53
Advanced

It is more like a twist--definitely not a crater or depression. Actually, I think it looks as though the sunroof was cut a little too big for the hole in the roof (not likely, just my impression of what it looks like), and that when the roof closed, it had to bow somewhat in order to close completely. I would attach a picture, but I don't think it would show up. BTW, this is not a major problem by any stretch, just a flaw I wish wasn't there.
Old 10-29-2003, 10:55 AM
Chris L
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Could it have happened when the sunroof was removed at some time? It's very easy to take off. You could pick up another panel from a recycler (black should be easy to find) and see if that gets you back to the way it should be.

Chris.
Old 10-29-2003, 11:03 AM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Received 340 Likes on 238 Posts

John

Have one of the "Dent Doc's" look at it. They really can work miracles when they have access to the rear of the panel. The only hassle here is the darn upholstery on the headliner. R&R is a real pain.

You may want to pull the panel at Chris recommends. It isn't very difficult. That would make the upholstery part a lot easier. And still have the dent guys work it over.
Old 10-29-2003, 11:08 AM
johnt53
Advanced

Great suggestions, guys. Thanks very much. I will post later how it worked out.
Old 10-29-2003, 12:56 PM
graham_mitchell
Banned

As it happens, I replaced my sunroof cables today, so the sunroof is fresh in my memory! Iirc, there is a bit of adjustment available for the attachment to the sunroof panel itself. If that is wrong it could possibly bow the panel. Worth a shot... there might be nothing wrong other than a poor setting.
Old 10-29-2003, 01:03 PM
johnt53
Advanced

Thanks, Graham. Do you know of any DIY info or threads on sunroof adjustment or removal? The P-car site doesn't appear to have one. My mechanical ability and knowledge are about a 3 on a scale of 10, but I can follow good directions.
Old 10-29-2003, 01:33 PM
graham_mitchell
Banned

John, retract the sunroof about an inch so there is a small gap. Then you need to pull the front of the lining down. It is held in place with pop fasteners (I don't know the real name). Once you have unpopped the front of the lining, you can push it back into the roof on its own, leaving the underbelly of the sunroof panel exposed. Then you will see the bolts holding the panel.
Old 10-29-2003, 01:52 PM
johnt53
Advanced

Thanks again, Graham--your helpfulness is much appreciated.

Quick Reply: Slightly bent sunroof