993 Forum 1995-1998

Chevron Techron Question.

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2003, 09:20 AM
ljugete
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Chevron Techron Question.

Do you add a second bottle of this additive as recommended by Chevron for higher mileage cars?

I use the large bottle that covers up to a 20 gal. tank every 4K miles.

TIA !
Old 10-29-2003, 12:41 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Hi Frank:

You are doing just fine,....I recommend a large bottle of Techron just before every other oil change.

More isn't necessary.
Old 10-29-2003, 03:35 PM
Brent Spinks
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Steve - If I am religously using ONLY Chevron Techron Supreme (Texas) fuel, would adding the bottle be overkill?
Old 10-29-2003, 04:59 PM
STLPCA
Addict & Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by Brent Spinks
Steve - If I am religously using ONLY Chevron Techron Supreme (Texas) fuel, would adding the bottle be overkill?
Brent
According to the Chevron Gas FAQ (link below), adding a bottle of Techron Concentrate Fuel System Cleaner is "not likely to provide any benefits" for you.

Chevron Gas FAQ

Frank
FWIW, Chevron recommends Techron be used every 3000 miles so I'd doubt there's any meaningful benefit to more frequent use.

Techron & Oil Changes Thread

There are other threads on this subject, if you're interested.
Old 10-29-2003, 09:47 PM
88clbsport
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

I will drive out of my way and do whatever it takes to ONLY use chevron gas. I have my wife and family finally converted to doing the same.

When my mechanic told me 3 years ago about a Porsche service bulletin that spoke to using chevron with techron I figured why do anything else.

I did put some gas in at a 76 station a while back when my fuel light went on and I was a long way from the nearest Chevron station. You should have seen the attendants face when I only put less than $2 in the tank and drive off....
Old 10-29-2003, 11:34 PM
RL Technical Advisor

Originally posted by Brent Spinks
Hi Brent:

The amount of Techron in every gallon of Chevron gas is very small and IMHO, the only way to keep the valves clear of carbon and injector tips clear and spraying proper patterns is by regular use of this additive. I see the difference when intake manifolds are removed and the ports/valves can be inspected.

One can also tell the difference when using a bottle of Techron,...the differences in throttle response is very apparent after 100 miles or so.
Old 10-30-2003, 03:33 AM
24FPS
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question is pro-guard the same?

heard chevron's pro-guard is the same thing but is weaker. true? -- i bought a 12pack by mistake @ costco the other month.

i too only use chevron supreme & add techron every 3k. i'm kinda hoping to cheat the dreaded <cel> light. possible? don't know... only steve would know.?

so far so good though.

rich
Old 10-30-2003, 03:42 AM
RL Technical Advisor

Hi Rich:

Pro-guard doesn't seem to be as effective as the real McCoy,..... I use the tall bottles of Techron or one each; LubroMoly Jectron & Ventil Sauber.

Neither additive will prevent the air injection passages from becoming clogged, but these chemicals do help keep the combustion chambers, intake valves, and injectors clean. That really helps drivability.
Old 10-30-2003, 05:54 PM
ecobb993
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just a quick Halloween comment on my recent experience.

I have been adding Techron with every fillup with only three exeptions since getting my car earlier this year. And it's been an AMAZING cooincidence that the three times that I didn't, the CE light came on within a week! Each time it indicated the secondary air injection system fault.

Spooky, heh?

Quick Reply: Chevron Techron Question.