Drive Shaft Removal to rebuild LSD

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2003, 08:43 PM
Ron
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Drive Shaft Removal to rebuild LSD

Has anyone removed their LSD by removing a drive shaft, and then the transmission cover on the side to remove the LSD? If so are there any specific special tools need? Paul Guard makes high quality fiction plates that can be used to rebuild it.

Using their plates in my LSD should assure a perfect fit with no problems with blacklash, preload or I would think any other kind of spacing issues.
Old 06-11-2003, 09:05 PM
Jim Morton
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ron:

I have removed the diff carrier without removing the trans.

As a note, you do need to remove both halfshafts (driveshafts) as you have to pull the stub axles as part of the diff carrier removal.

No special tools are needed. Gets a little slimy as you pull the diff cover. I did cut some wood blocks to hold the half shafts up and out of the way in order to make it easier to get the diff cover and carrier out of the trans. If you have an assistant handy, they could do the halfshaft holding and then you do not need the crib blocks. Also, you may need to pull one or two diff cover studs ( the long ones) in order to get enough free space to remove the cover. Some say no, I found it easy to remove the studs when I was in the middle of it. Gear oil running down your arm and all that !

Have fun !

Quick Reply: Drive Shaft Removal to rebuild LSD