Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I STFA and found nothing: what is preferred - the early separate key fob remote,

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2003, 04:54 PM
PhoenixS4
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post I STFA and found nothing: what is preferred - the early separate key fob remote,

or the later switchblade style key with remote fob built in. I just learned that you can retro fit the newer cars with the old style and heard this is popular because the switchblade keys fall apart. Any comments?
Old 06-11-2003, 04:58 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I like the "I STFA".

I have the seperate remote and like it better than the swithchblade style.
Old 06-11-2003, 04:58 PM
Vinny '98 3.8 C2S
Racer

The switchblade stinks. Breaks very easily and is too big IMO. I switched.
Old 06-11-2003, 05:05 PM
PhoenixS4
Intermediate

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica"><strong>I like the "I STFA".</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">I am used to posting on forums with "younger" posters than here where if you ask anything that has been addressed before you get "REPOST" and "STFA." Guess you P-car guys are nicer.

I think I am going to look into converting my Dad's car for him.
Old 06-11-2003, 05:12 PM
graham_mitchell
Banned

Received 442 Likes on 241 Posts
Gert sells the conversion kit. That's where I got mine
Old 06-11-2003, 05:14 PM
STLPCA
Addict & Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Switchlade opening is cool, but otherwise IMO sucks:
1. The plastic lock pin that keeps the key retracted wears & it opens in your pocket. Apart from the "you own a Porsche, or just happy to see me?" questions, it's a pita.
2. Eventually, the key no longer stays retracted as the pin wears down.
3. The switchblade is prone to breakage when the key is turned in the ignition unless it's gripped close to the keyhole.
4. The switchblade assembly is bigger & bulkier than the alternative.
I kept my 2 original SB assemblies to go w/the car if I ever sell, but wouldn't go back to using them.

<a href="http://p-car.com/diy/key/" target="_blank">Conversion of the Porsche 993 "Switchblade" remote (P-car.com)</a>
Note: parts available from any P dealer & new version (same part #) of lighted key head has a full color crest.
Old 06-11-2003, 05:16 PM
PhoenixS4
Intermediate

I am getting my Dad's car delivered tomorrow, and the good news is I just talked to the seller and he says he already converted to the separate fob! So pops is ready to go.
Old 06-11-2003, 06:41 PM
GratefulJED
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
OTOH, the switchblade keeps your Porsche keychain and other keys dangling off the edge of your dash, you know, so as yo dash don get all, you know, FedU.
Old 06-11-2003, 08:54 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Slightly off topic, but may make the whole stupid immobizer thing slightly less annoying:

Of course, the immoblizer is switched off when you unlock the car. But if you keep the car unlocked in your garage, for example, and you hop in for a ride, the immobilzer is active. The easiest way to deactivate it is to turn the ignition until you see the little red immoblizer icon in the clock gauge. Press the immoblizer button and the icon turns off. Start your car. I say this, because my wife was sitting there, locking and unlocking the car every time she wanted to start it.
Old 06-11-2003, 09:05 PM
Craig MX7
Intermediate

Of course, the immoblizer is switched off when you unlock the car. But if you keep the car unlocked in your garage, for example, and you hop in for a ride, the immobilzer is active. The easiest way to deactivate it is to turn the ignition until you see the little red immoblizer icon in the clock gauge. Press the immoblizer button and the icon turns off. Start your car. I say this, because my wife was sitting there, locking and unlocking the car every time she wanted to start it.

If you have the car in a garage - then just leave the key in the ignition. Then the immobilizer never arms
Old 06-11-2003, 09:09 PM
Jim Thomas
Instructor

I would love to ditch the immobilzer.

Quick Reply: I STFA and found nothing: what is preferred - the early separate key fob remote,