Free OBDII/CEL Reset @ Auto Zone

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2003, 02:45 PM
Carrera Mike
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Free OBDII/CEL Reset

I thought I'd post this new thread to get more attention and help out fellow rennlisters.

There was an earlier thread about OBDII scanner for $99 at Kragen to reset the OBDII for that famous error code P0410 - "secondary air injection" so I went out to seek the local auto part store here for the unit. We don't have Kragen here in Southern Virginia so I went different auto suppliers. The least expensive I found is the Accutron(spelling?) for $179. But the sales rep was kind enough to tell me that his competitor "Auto Zone"(no affliation) will read and reset it for free! and so I went

I was hesitant at first 'cause I wasn't sure if I let them do it on a Porsche. But the gentleman there showed me how easy it is. He read the code which sure enough showed "P0410" and corresponding "Secondary Air Injection System Malfunction" flashing, he just then simply pressed the "erase" button. CEL(Check Engine Light) went off as soon as I turned the motor.
Best thing, it was all free.

So at least for the folks here in VA, maybe in the east coast too...Auto Zone does it for free!!!

Last edited by Carrera Mike; 11-09-2003 at 12:31 AM.
Old 10-24-2003, 02:51 PM
ecobb993
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll do it for anyone in my area - E Cobb County, GA
Old 10-24-2003, 03:09 PM
Robin 993DX
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Me too! Miami, FL
Old 10-24-2003, 03:12 PM
Arthur Del Mundo
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ViperBob usually resets the codes for the people in the SF Bay Area. Thanks Bob for clearing mine several months back! Hasn't come back on ever since!
Old 10-24-2003, 03:12 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

In Southern California, Autozone "used" to read the codes for free, but the local auto repair shops raised such a stink, that they had to stop doing it. Too bad... a nice service.
Old 10-24-2003, 04:25 PM
swftiii
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Thanks much Mike. AutoZone huh, who would have thought.
Old 10-24-2003, 04:51 PM
Jeff 993TT
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll do backup duty for anybody else in the Bay Area to clear their CE light. Usually takes less than 5 minutes.
Old 10-24-2003, 05:21 PM
Don't lift
Rennlist Member

I also will report to duty to service anyone down in the Los Angeles areas.

--------------------
'97 blk/blk C2S
Old 10-24-2003, 06:09 PM
viperbob
Former Vendor

Be careful with this free CEL light service at these places, and the information that it is relaying. There are number of the standard OBD2 codes that Porsche has modified, and some are Porsche specific. Porsche makes an OBD2 Code manual for the NA models as well as the Turbos. I bought both of these manuals.

Recently on a Rennlisters car we got and error code on the laptop software that said there was an O2 sensor problem. We had replaced the O2 sensors before based upon this info previously, but the same error code kept turing on the CEL. After checking the manual with the specific P-code, it turns out that the problem lies in the throttle positioning sensor or the MAF sensor. It evens tells you how to diagnose and isolate the problems.

So the software may tell you what is wrong, and then again it may not. Check with another Rennlister before embarking on any repairs based soley on that info.

Oh and yes I am happy to turn off CELs for folks around here. I meet a lot of great Porsche folks that way.

Last edited by viperbob; 10-24-2003 at 07:52 PM.
Old 10-24-2003, 06:19 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts

wonder if this auto parts store has a drivethrough so one can reset CEL daily on the way to work....j/k

I am surprised they do this as there is some liability involved....
Old 11-08-2003, 11:42 AM
Carrera Mike
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Default CEL ON after Techron??

I just poured Techron for 12 gals and fill the tank half, approx 9.5gals. After about 18miles, my CEL turned ON. Thinking that my mixture is too strong I added 2 more gallons. Anybody's CEL comes "ON" with Techron use?? I'm thinking that it lit because Techron got rid of the crud and the sensor sensed it.

I then went to the local auto supply and bought the Actron OBDII scanner(since this is the 3rd time I got the light in 4 months) and reset it myself. I got the same old code of DTC P0410"Secondary Air Injection Malfunction".

I'd like the OBDII scanner with software you can use with your laptop for more flexible diagnosis, but I prefer this small portable unit for now.

any folks in my area, Chesapeake/Norfolk/Va Beach needs CEL read/reset, I'll be glad to help

Robin, Are the OBDII DTC codes you have posted in your site Porsche specific? Thanks for the link you sent.
Old 11-09-2003, 12:04 AM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 864 Likes on 438 Posts

A fellow Rennlister in Washington DC was nice enough to reset mine last month... then it went on AGAIN only 3 weeks later, which is when I sent away for the $127 Equus 3100 OBDII Code Reader (free shipping). It is REALLY nice to not have to rely on someone else to have to reset it each time, as mine is coming on every 2 weeks now!

This kind gent from DC said I could stop by anytime, no problem, and he'd reset if for me, but I just didn't want to be a bother, so now I have my own! I'll tell ya, it's incredibly convenient to just whip it out anytime that blasted light comes on with those same lame codes: 0410 and I think the other one was 1411 or something like that, which is only listed under "Ford" cars in the booklet! Anyone know what that one's all about, or is it just a computer error each time?

Thanks,

Steve
Old 11-09-2003, 12:25 AM
Carrera Mike
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Steve, are you sure it was P1411, not P0411? Because, P0411 comes right after P0410 which is "Secondary Air Injection System Incorrect Flow Detected"

Yes, it's very convenient to have our own scanner! Thanks to the members here who made us aware that there are Porsche exclusive codes, so I'm being very careful in reading every code. I'm still wishing that I got the laptop software based for more flexible diagnosis though. But then again, the one I got is more portable than the laptop.

To the guys who have these Porsche DTC codes, are they part of the 8 vol maint manual, or you have to buy the reference seperately? How much?

Thanks
Old 11-09-2003, 10:04 AM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 864 Likes on 438 Posts

Yes, that must be the correct code: 0411. I was just doing it from memory. I wrote it down and checked through the book and only found that # 0411 in the Ford Cars section. Odd... unless I just wasn't looking in the right place.

In any case - it's puzzling to me why the darn light comes on so freakin' frequently now - every 2 weeks! If I was a clueless, Rennlistless driver (good tongue twister there -try saying that 5 times real fast), I would be mighty miffed by the screwy CEL histrionics.

Steve

Quick Reply: Free OBDII/CEL Reset @ Auto Zone