No front license plate saved me

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2003, 12:10 AM
Randy M '96 Silver 993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No front license plate saved me

I was coming home this afternoon and some people ahead of me were taking a while to merge, so I decided to slip onto the shoulder to pass. Little did I know that a CHP was right there behind a big truck

He pulled me over and told me what I did and then asked for my license and registration. He walked to the front of the car and I said to myself, Great a multi-line ticket

When he was done writing me up all it was was a no front license plate fix-it ticket I thanked him a couple times!

I was relieved to say the least.

That is my story on how no front license plate saved me from a ticket, fine, increased insurance, etc....

Take those license plates off and get bumper plugs, no affiliation, etc....
Old 10-24-2003, 12:37 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Umm, so you were on the shoulder, passing slower cars?
Old 10-24-2003, 12:49 AM
Randy M '96 Silver 993
Addict
Rennlist Member

I was in an Exit Only lane and they were slowly merging and I got impatient so I passed on the shoulder.
Old 10-24-2003, 01:09 AM
STLPCA
Addict & Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry Randy, but IMO it's obnoxious moves like yours that needlessly create dangerous situations, aggravate other drivers, help perpetuate the saying about the difference between porcupines & Porsches & create animosity that can result in a keyed P car.
Old 10-24-2003, 01:38 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

This may not apply exactly to your situation but, at least from what I have noticed here in Maryland, drivers who pass on the shoulder run the risk of another car pulling out on the shoulder and blocking the passer, curtailing such hijinks. Motorists are getting fed up with this behavior.
Old 10-24-2003, 02:08 AM
Speedraser
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Dan,

I couldn't have said it better myself.
Old 10-24-2003, 02:11 AM
hddude
Racer

Default Passing on the shoulder...a great idea

Several years ago I was stuck in a traffic jam on my motorcycle entering the 101 freeway in Ventura, CA. A couple young guys in a new, white Mustang convertible with the top dropped did the "shoulder merge." It was a slick move designed to **** off everyone ahead of them in line and it was working well. As I am watching and cursing them I notice they are getting mighty near an overpass/bridge ahead of them which had virtually no shoulder. Oh well, they didn't need the right side of that convertible. Unfortunately they also dragged the left side of their car down the length of the car next to them on the left. The guy in front of me turned around and we shared thumbs ups. I have often wondered how the discussion went with their insurance adjuster.
Old 10-24-2003, 03:19 AM
User 4621
Race Director

Received 614 Likes on 326 Posts

Sorry, but I hope you don't expect any sympathy here, that was an obnoxious and dangerous move that reflects badly on all of us. It's a shame you didn't get the ticket you deserved. Where's that Dr. Lincoln sock puppet when you need it?
Old 10-24-2003, 08:34 AM
Miraculix
Pro

But why do you guys drive P-cars anyway?
I'm not familiar with what a "passing on a shoulder is" but, guys! Really?
If you wanted to cruize around in 5mph you might want to consider buying a miata and drive around with the top down.
I'm not saying I drive like hell because I have a Porsche but the truth is, they are made for driving fast, very fast and to turn hard, really hard
Old 10-24-2003, 09:39 AM
Sailswish
Instructor

No front plate also cures baldness, impotence and occasional flareups of shingles.
Old 10-24-2003, 10:13 AM
Carrera Mike
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Angry

Darn it I just got the $48 front bracket and mounted the tag

The gate guards here at Norfolk Base keep giving me a hard time in the morning(after a lecture about VA law, they do let me in though 'cause they said the car looks nice. One guard even said, "I actually just want to hold you up so I could look at your car longer"
Old 10-24-2003, 10:28 AM
duc916
Instructor

I would have to agree with Miraculix on how a porsche should be driven, but you have missed the setting for such a application. Drive your porsche like a racecar on a race track, not on public streets. I am getting pretty tired of the " I was going 135 mph , but it was on a deserted street" , my *** it was deserted. It is a public road and anyone in any type of vehicle should follow the rules, thus making it safe for all the other people on the road with you. I have to ask Randy, what was so important that you had to save a few seconds by breaking a traffic law. I am willing to bet you could have done just fine getting to your final destination without passing on the shoulder. It all comes down to one thing: If you think you drive fast on the street because you corner "hard" and break a 100 mph you have totally missed the boat. I suggest you go to a couple of autocrosses so you can learn car control, then head to a few driver ed events. This will allow you to fully understand how to drive a car, and give you a better appreciation when driving on the street. Please do your driving on the street in your porsche no different than if you are driving a ford festiva.

Dan
1996 993
Old 10-24-2003, 10:45 AM
graham_mitchell
Banned

Received 442 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally posted by dan keenan
I am getting pretty tired of the " I was going 135 mph , but it was on a deserted street" , my *** it was deserted.
Dan, I agree fully with your points in a city environment, and I tend to stick to the road rules and speed limits more than most drivers. I agree with the points about every P-driver being an embassador for the brand. Jerks in Porsches make all Porsche owners suffer.

However, I respectfully disagree that all public roads are unsafe for driving faster than the speed limit. I know a few good country roads which you can drive up and down all day and barely see another car. The roads wind through fields without any trees to impede your view you can see any cars, cyclists, cars or even elks(!) from a mile off and slow down long before you get to them. At this time of year the countryside is absolutely beautiful too
Old 10-24-2003, 11:15 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by Miraculix
But why do you guys drive P-cars anyway?
I'm not familiar with what a "passing on a shoulder is" but, guys! Really?
If you wanted to cruize around in 5mph you might want to consider buying a miata and drive around with the top down.
I'm not saying I drive like hell because I have a Porsche but the truth is, they are made for driving fast, very fast and to turn hard, really hard
Passing on the shoulder is driving on the breakdown lane, a part of the road that was never meant to carry traffic. If your car has a mechanical problem, this is the area where you pull off. It is not another lane of traffic.
Old 10-24-2003, 08:24 PM
S3
Instructor

Be careful! There are enough horror stories and pictures on the web already. Don't contribute more by trying to save seconds. Be careful and enjoy the p-car experience without endangering yourself and others.

Quick Reply: No front license plate saved me