Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2003, 07:25 PM
MadMarkie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Resale value and modifications

Hi,

I am looking at a silver '96 C2 which already has Big Reds and an RS lightweight flywheel, as well as 18" Technology wheels from the factory. For the mileage, the asking price seems a bit high, presumably due to these features and the excellent condition of the car (PPI found minor issues only). It has been written here previously... "modifications don't increase resale value"... just wondering if I should feel OK about paying more for mods which I would have done myself anyway. I am disappointed a little at not getting to do it myself (slippery slope?... where did I put my Telemark skis ), but this car is several thousand $s closer to where I want to go...

TIA, Mark.
Old 06-10-2003, 07:30 PM
Randy M
Drifting

Received 724 Likes on 334 Posts
It purely depends on the buyer. My car had the PSS-9's and the RS bars when I bought it. The car had added value to me as I was going to put these parts on anyway. To someone else who wanted a stock car there would be no value in these upgrades. In my mind I thought about the expense of the parts and the labor that I would have incurred by having these parts put on so it just depends on who is looking at the car.
Old 06-10-2003, 07:52 PM
ZCAT3
Three Wheelin'

Mark - to say that categorically mods do NOT add value would be wrong. It really depends on the mods and the buyer. If you find a car that has mods you want to make anyway then it may be worth more to you. In general, I think performance mods add more value than cosmetic mods (as this is a very subjective area). I think the general rule for all of us that mod our cars is that if we ever do sell we cannot expect to get back all of what we put in. But, as an example, Kim's 3.8 track car which he has just completed modifying in a big way, is certainly worth a lot more today than when he bought it as a stock 3.6.
Old 06-10-2003, 09:02 PM
PhoenixS4
Intermediate

If the mods are something that you absolutely would have done once you got a stock car then they are a personal plus for you, but for goodness sakes do not tell the seller that. Point out the car has been corrupted and what it will cost to get it back to stock as a bargaining chip. In any event, unless it is some "cannot get anymore" item, used parts - including mods - are almost always worth one half of their retail price (and installation should be ignored), so in your own head, think of half the value of the Big Reds etc. as your benefit.
Old 06-10-2003, 09:07 PM
Kevin Reilly
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd just add that in my opinion, none of the options you mentioned (brakes, wheels, LWF) should be worth anything on a used car. I have 2 out of the 3, and I sure wouldn't expect to receive anything for them. Good luck. Thanks
Old 06-10-2003, 09:11 PM
Vinny '98 3.8 C2S
Racer

I think only the big reds would add any value to resale, and then not much. If anything the LWF would probably hurt selling it because of the touchier clutch feel, and it implies that the car's been driven harder. It limits the buying audience. BTW, I have the LWF in my car and like it, but I wouldn't pay anything for it in a used car.
Old 06-10-2003, 09:15 PM
Jim Thomas
Instructor

I think any mods hurt the value of a car. In the back of my mind I always wonder if they damaged or created any problems while they were doing the modifications.

Also if you have a factory car you can get it fixed. If you have a moded you my have to return it to stock just to solve another problem. A gemballa car sat at the local dealer for months awaiting a sorted ECU.

If I wanted a moded car I would start with a factory car.

Just my .02
Old 06-11-2003, 05:55 PM
MadMarkie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks for all the replies... I have negotiated a price which is agreeable to both parties, and should be picking the car up on Friday! My girlfriend was right... I only made it three weeks without a Porsche... now if I can only sleep tonight and tomorrow....

Thanks again, Mark.
MadMarkie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks for all the replies... I have negotiated a price which is agreeable to both parties, and should be picking the car up on Friday! My girlfriend was right... I only made it three weeks without a Porsche... now if I can only sleep tonight and tomorrow....

Thanks again, Mark.
MadMarkie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks again, Mark.
Old 06-12-2003, 04:48 AM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts
Hi Mark;

Congratulations on your new upcoming ride,......

I'd concur that "beauty is in the eyes of the beholder" and any chances of cost recovery depend on what any potential buyer is looking for.

As Randy said, he was predisposed to make those changes anyway and to find them already done was a premium, and thus negotiable. I will also mention that the value of any modifications depend on exactly what they are and in many cases, who performed & installed them. Not everyone or every shop is competant in this regard,.....

IMHO, those Big Red TT brakes are a premium item and I'd consider that very worthwhile. The LWF is a neutral, and only the hollow-spoke version of the Technology wheels would have any chance of cost recovery.

Quick Reply: Resale value and modifications