Sponsored by:

Exhaust choice

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2003, 11:19 AM
jorisg
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust choice

Hi guys, Just as a newbie with 993's wanted to ask for some advice. I am absolutely in love with my newly aquired 993, driving it is at lease as good as having ...... The only thing that I miss is a little exhaust music, the car is so quiet especially when driving at lower rpm that I find myself opening up the windows in a desperate but not successful attempt to hear that I am really driving a Porsche.

No I tried searching the board for threads on this topic, but I did not find any comparison between different possibilities of upgrading the exhaust on the 993. I found some threads talking about the motor sport sound package, and I assume that this is on official option from Porsche. Other threads mention RSR's. And I am sure there must be more after market options (Cargraphic, FVD, Roock) but could not find anything about them.

Can anybody be so kind as to give some advice on what kind of exhaust would improve the sound of my 993. It is not so much extra gain in hp that I am after (although it is of course always nice) but I would like to have a little bit of extra exhaust sound, with out disturbing our complete village of course.

Many thanks
Old 10-20-2003, 11:46 AM
993Widebody
Racer

The most popular options in the order of least loud to loudest are:

1) Robin Sun RSR
2) Fabspeed Maxflow
3) Fabspeed Supercups

There are other options, such as Mille Miglia, Techart, etc... but these are by far the most popular. If you do a search you will find tons of posts on these mufflers as the muffler topic is one of the most frequent topics posted on this board.
Old 10-20-2003, 12:01 PM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Exhaust choice

Originally posted by jorisg
No I tried searching the board for threads on this topic, but I did not find any comparison between different possibilities of upgrading the exhaust on the 993. I found some threads talking about the motor sport sound package, and I assume that this is on official option from Porsche. Other threads mention RSR's. And I am sure there must be more after market options (Cargraphic, FVD, Roock) but could not find anything about them.
If it is sound that you are attempting to improve, look no further than the RSR system. Robin takes the well engineered factory mufflers and modifies them for better sound without any side effects. Most other [aftermarket] mufflers tend to improve horsepower by up to 1/2 HP at higher rpm's at the expense of considerable loss of valuable low-end torque. Also, don't be fooled by some aftermarket exhaust claims of quality. They are generally no match for the factory pieces.
Old 10-20-2003, 12:05 PM
winsome
Instructor

Lightbulb exhaust

I am currently using the cargraphic exhaust and am very happy with it. It gives you back the "bass" which have been missing all along. Its about medium level, the volume is unlike those japanese racer, certainly much more classy than that. Quality is very good and the brand is very well known in Germany.

Winsome
Old 10-20-2003, 12:20 PM
Evan
Burning Brakes

I second Viken's response. I have Robin's RSR Mufflers on my car it they sound...grrrrrrrrrrrrreat! They give the engine a nice "growl".

I actually had a question on the "drilled" out air box. Is there a need for any internal screen behind the holes? Or are they open right to the air filter? Will the filter catch everything that may go through the holes? Not that I suspect any debris to get in there, but wasn't sure?

Evan.
Old 10-20-2003, 12:37 PM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Received 340 Likes on 238 Posts

Evan,

There is no internal screen behind the factory Motorsound (drilled) airbox. Nor, as you reasoned, is there a need for a screen.
Old 10-20-2003, 12:43 PM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally posted by Evan
I actually had a question on the "drilled" out air box. Is there a need for any internal screen behind the holes? Or are they open right to the air filter? Will the filter catch everything that may go through the holes? Not that I suspect any debris to get in there, but wasn't sure?
Evan, there is no screen. However, if you drill holes of no bigger than the factory cover's, you should not be collecting too much more dust than what goes through the snorkel. Personally, I would rather just buy the factory M159 filter cover than drill holes. It's inexpensive, effective and clean.
Old 10-20-2003, 12:46 PM
DKP 97 C2 Coupe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 11 Posts

Evan,

IMHO, the best street combination of distinctive but "mature" sound is Robin's RSR's with the Motorsound airbox. There are obviously considerably louder combinations available but for me and the lady the above is just right for having fun with the audio that the car produces without being seen as some kind of frustrated racer by the neighbors. Robins's product is absolutely top-shelf as is his customer service: I have no regrets with any aspect of dealing with him or his RSR's. Cheers
Old 10-20-2003, 12:53 PM
Evan
Burning Brakes

Viken,

I am not sure I follow you. I saw the picture on EJ's DIY showing the location of the holes to be drilled, but aren't sure what you mean about "no bigger than the factory cover"? Is the cover the lid you would drill into or the M159 Filter cover? BTW, is that cover only seen on the motorsound lid. I haven't heard about this cover yet. Dealer item? How and were does it install? How does it take the place of drilling holes? And by the snorkel, I am assuming the is the tube that plugs into the front of the entire air filter housing? Isn't this snorkel part of the clutch system? Or am I way off base here?

Thanks for the lesson!

Evan.
Old 10-20-2003, 01:00 PM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Evan,

I was talking about the holes themselves. I suggest that you either dril similar size holes on a standard cover or buy the factory M159 cover. Dealer item or can be found at some Rennlist sponsors.

http://www.carnewal-europe.com/cpx_p93016.htm

Old 10-20-2003, 01:09 PM
Evan
Burning Brakes

Viken,

Understood. I just confused myself. I have seen this on Gert's site already.

Evan.
Old 10-20-2003, 01:15 PM
911Jeff
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 39 Posts

I'd like to add to the Praise for the RSR muffler. I've had this system on my car (96 cab) for several years. The sound is "just right", deep and strong, but not annoyingly loud. The engine also appears to rev more freely. I've recommened this to friends with 993s, and they are very satisfied.
Old 10-20-2003, 01:26 PM
jorisg
Instructor

thanks guys for the advice, but just one more question, what about the motorsound exhaust option that Porsche offers. Will this not also improve the sound/tone of the exhaust?

thanks
Old 10-20-2003, 01:32 PM
hn
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

The RSR can be sensitve with the RPM. If you don't keep you rpm at or above 3k, it can be loud inside the cabin. Using motorsound airbox or drilling holes on the stock's unit helps quite a bit. 96' box cover (or maybe later model) comes with holes pattern.
Old 10-20-2003, 01:33 PM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally posted by jorisg
... what about the motorsound exhaust option that Porsche offers. Will this not also improve the sound/tone of the exhaust?
The factory M159 motor sounds option consisted of different mufflers, the airbox cover and chrome tips. The aftermarket option does not include the mufflers and the airbox cover alone does very little. I suggest you start with the RSR's first. Chances are you'd be happy with those alone.

Quick Reply: Exhaust choice