Sponsored by:

Exhaust choice

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2003, 09:51 PM
DCLee
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Allright, folks:

Is this about mufflers or personalities? I am sure Robin is a prince--no, make that an emir. I actually met him once at Road Atlanta and he was a swell guy. However, I only have direct experience with the Supercups--on my third set--and the experience is very positive.

The Fabspeed Cups have a very aggressive sound that I personally like. I believe that they enhance performance on my 3.8 RS, with it's slightly bigger valves and slightly hotter cams, but I can't prove it. I think the Cups and the RSRs appeal to two fundamentally different groups of buyers-- One group wants a little more noise but wishes to remain in the realm of the civilized world; the other wants a snarly, raw, and racy system (Supercups, not Maxflows) that would sound at home on the race track.

This is like a Rohrshach test-- put yourself in one category or another, buy the pipes that fit your personality profile, and be happy...

Lee in D.C. (no commerical interest, blah blah...)
Old 10-21-2003, 10:01 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Ahhhhh,....Pearls of wisdom from Lee W. in DC,.... Well said, Sir.

I tell all of my 993 customers that they should make exhaust changes based on sound (noise) perceptions, NOT on any claims of more HP. One may criticize Porsche A.G. for making a car that is arguably too quiet for many, but not for making an inefficient exhaust system. Its VERY well done.

993 exhaust improvements are found with race cars using aggressive (non-streetable) cams, and no cats. Under those circumstances, well designed headers and a good race muffler really helps.

Of course, Twin-Turbo's are a whole 'nuther animal.
Old 10-22-2003, 11:40 AM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally posted by Silver Bullet
(except when at Laguna Seca...
Kim, do you switch mufflers or can you run the baffles? My guess is the former.
Old 10-22-2003, 05:02 PM
nman413
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Kim, bastards!

I downloaded the Supercup videos today and those Supercups sure do sound nice.. Anyone have a spare set for sale or have one in the area I can listen to? I wouldnt mind trying them out..

Of course sharky still has by far the loudest exhaust I've heard so far..

Quick Reply: Exhaust choice