Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust choice

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2003, 09:36 PM
Android356
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is there a link to see the results of the test?
Old 10-20-2003, 09:36 PM
hn
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally posted by DJ
You are exactly right. We did some scientific testing back to back with stock motor sound mufflers and maxflows on two identical cars. Both cars lost low end power with the maxipads.
DJ, on the motor sound, could the air box also be the reason or just the muffler? or combination of both?

thx
Old 10-20-2003, 09:40 PM
DJ
Haiku Grasshoppa
Rennlist Member
Can I Drove Your Car?

Originally posted by Android356
Is there a link to see the results of the test?

No.

You'll just have to take my word for it. I carry a lot of weight around here. In fact, I carry a lot of weight everywhere I go. I just don't like to throw it around.
Old 10-20-2003, 09:44 PM
DJ
Haiku Grasshoppa
Rennlist Member
Can I Drove Your Car?

Originally posted by hn
DJ, on the motor sound, could the air box also be the reason or just the muffler? or combination of both?

thx
hn,

I don't think so, as both cars were identically equipped.
Old 10-20-2003, 11:36 PM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 65 Likes on 27 Posts

I will second the cheers for the RSR's. Great product by a fine fine gentleman. My cabrio sounds just right for the town. Quality is awesome and my RSR's are still shiny after a year. A guy I met with maxflows complained heavily about the known resonance problem, he heard my RSR's and he was beating himself for getting the maxflows...His first point of order was to get rid of them and order Robin's special..
I also have the Fabspeed Supercups on my race car. I got to give it to JF, they do sound wonderfull for what they are (track use) , my only grouch is the pompus claims on his website. Very cheezy, used car salesman approach IMHO. I bought the supercups used, thank God for Rennlisters that advised to screw extra screws not to loose the baffles, well almost I did on the last race... Also they have turned blue in just a few events from the heat, like I said I really like them for the race car but looking at Fabspeeds website and all the pompus proclaims, there is nothing there that tells you that the beautifull shiny supercups will loose their baffles if you do not drill extra holes and they will turn blue in a couple of events... Talking about truth in advertisment...
I do not intend this to be another rerun of an old rennlist episode of Fabspeed but these are my true experiences and sometimes you do need to vent a little
Old 10-20-2003, 11:38 PM
gslaberge
Advanced

I have also been thinking of exhaust upgrade and am seriously thinking of the Ruf exhaust from Weissach in Vancouver http://www.weissach.ca/. They feature a bypass valve that actuates from the spoiler circuit to open pipes.

Looks really cool to me but pricey.

I only found one thread in the archive that mentions this:

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ht=ruf+muffler
Old 10-21-2003, 12:17 AM
DC from Cape Cod
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 32 Posts

I'd like to see some test results as well. I can't tell the difference between stock and Fabspeeds in terms of performance difference and I've installed them on two different cars. I seriously doubt ANYONE could tell the difference based on a few HP.

There is a definite dislike by many of Fabspeed on this forum and I think of lot of it is personally directed towards the owner. I wonder how different the product reviews would be if this dislike did not exist.

Anyways - Robin's exhaust is awesome and I've never heard a single negative review. Furthermore - he is a great guy and completely honorable. The RSR's are not much louder than stock so if you are looking for a more aggressive sound you might want to listen to some others as well for comparison purposes.
Old 10-21-2003, 12:48 AM
GratefulJED
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've done most of them - Robin's, Joe's supercups (sold both sets of supercups that I have had) - the ones I run with and absolutley love were made by Porsche for the cup car. Combined with the solid cup engine mounts, the car drives and sounds awesome. Can't wait for the PSS-9, 3.8, and clutch & tranny upgrade -
Old 10-21-2003, 06:14 AM
jorisg
Instructor

Thanks guys, looks like I will at first try the RSR option through Cornewall. If it is not to my liking I can always send them back! So seems like a win win situation! After that the motorsound airbox cover to finish things of.

Thanks for all the good advise

Old 10-21-2003, 06:16 PM
993Widebody
Racer

Originally posted by DC from Cape Cod
There is a definite dislike by many of Fabspeed on this forum and I think of lot of it is personally directed towards the owner. I wonder how different the product reviews would be if this dislike did not exist.

Anyways - Robin's exhaust is awesome and I've never heard a single negative review. Furthermore - he is a great guy and completely honorable. The RSR's are not much louder than stock so if you are looking for a more aggressive sound you might want to listen to some others as well for comparison purposes.
I agree with both of DC's points here. The maxflows are really ideal for someone who wants a substantial difference in sound over stock without going too far. I don't believe that they lose any HP (despite what DJ is saying about all his weight) as I have dyno'd my old targa with and without them (switching back to stock). From what I remember the fabspeed's did gain 2 hp and 1 or 2 lbs of torque. If we are talking supercups, I do believe they will lose some low end torque but they make up for it in high end HP. Also, the quality of the mufflers are very high. Most negative reviews of the maxflows here are based on the dislike of Fabspeed's owner, Joe Fabiani. Of course, this is my opinion.

In terms of Robin's RSRs. I agree that Robin is a first rate guy and his mufflers are great. They simply were too quiet for me and not much of a difference over stock. Again, my opinion. I suggest you try and ride in someone's car that already has the mufflers installed since this is all too subjective to write about.
Old 10-21-2003, 08:17 PM
DC from Cape Cod
Addict
Rennlist Member

Has anyone every seen a before & after dyno?

I've gladly give up 2HP to gain the sound I get with the Supercups.
Old 10-21-2003, 08:25 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

This is some info taken directly from Fabspeed's website.

"Bill E. 1996 993 Coupe 6spd

I am having some engine work done to my car and had a few numbers run before starting the work. The two tests I have done so far were a baseline of just the stock engine, no mods whatsoever, and a stock 993 engine with just the Fabspeed supercup exhuast added. My car is a 96 993. Here are the results:

Stock: Peak HP at 6,100 rpm: 282 hp
Peak Torque at 5,300 rpm: 261

With Fabspeed Supercup Exhaust:

Peak HP at 6,100 rpm: 295 hp
Peak Torque at 5,300 rpm: 270

These test were done on an ENGINE DYNO so they are as accurate as they get.
+13 HP on a stock 993
+9 FT LB's of Torque "
Old 10-21-2003, 09:23 PM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 464 Likes on 259 Posts

I replaced my Motorsound cans with a set of Robin's (non Motorsound) RSR cans in my 97 Cabriolet, and in all honesty didn't notice much difference in engine exhaust sound. Robin's a great person to deal with, does top drawer work and was very upfront with the minimal sound enhancement I'd experience prior to buying from him.
Engine sound, especially our 993 engine sound, is an extremely subjective and personal assessment.
Old 10-21-2003, 09:26 PM
993Widebody
Racer

I did actually have a before and after with my 993 Targa using Maxflows. Like I said, I had a minimal increase. This was over three years ago and I had posted my results at the time.

I also had a piggyback engine re-map installed and did a before and after with the maxflows installed, and showed another 11hp increase, and I believe another 15 ft-lbs of torque. I could probably dig up the dyno sheets somewhere, but why? I would think you all could believe me on this.

Also, Bill's findings are with the supercups, and I consider that to be a very substantial gain.
Old 10-21-2003, 09:29 PM
DC from Cape Cod
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rob - I never doubted the data. My request was to see how the shape of the curve(s) changed.

I took the car out today for a spin and I still am surprised at how nice they sound.

Quick Reply: Exhaust choice