993 Forum 1995-1998

Porsche classic radio with Nav

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2016, 10:13 AM
dannycf
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Porsche classic radio with Nav

I'm considering purchasing a Porsche Classic radio with nav. for my 18k mile 993 coupe and would love to hear reviews from anyone who has one both positive and negative. Thanks!
Old 07-02-2016, 10:46 AM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 207 Likes on 133 Posts

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...sic-radio.html
Old 07-02-2016, 12:58 PM
bobbyp
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 97 Posts

18k miles on a 20+ year old car?
Doesn't seem like you travel far enough to need navigation. Do you have a really bad sense of direction?
Old 07-02-2016, 01:00 PM
golfnutintib
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by bobbyp
18k miles on a 20+ year old car?
Doesn't seem like you travel far enough to need navigation. Do you have a really bad sense of direction?
driven around the block once a week

nav needed to venture out 3 block radius

Old 07-02-2016, 05:23 PM
dannycf
Instructor

Actually I just purchased the car and am interested in the upgrade for it's superior audio capability. I don't really have too many cassettes anymore. Was that an attempt at being clever?
I was hoping to hear from people who had an interest in being helpful.
Old 07-02-2016, 05:54 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 97 Posts

Old 07-02-2016, 06:24 PM
golfnutintib
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

we are just having a little chuckle -- lighten up noob

first response with link shd provide u with all the info you need, did u click it?

one good rule of thumb on this board is to search before starting a new thread and asking anew ... esp. if you are new with a car that has been out there for a while (or longer), most questions you would have are likely to have been asked and answered many times over

welcome, and congrats on your new ride... enjoy
Old 07-03-2016, 03:04 AM
928S4DUBAI
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Love my classic, not using the nav in Dubai though, will be useful when the car goes back to Europe. iPhone / wifi connection is great, easy install (if you open the glovebox whilst sliding the unit in) Very happy user.
Chris
Old 07-03-2016, 03:06 AM
928S4DUBAI
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

another pic
Old 07-03-2016, 03:59 AM
20C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 187 Likes on 78 Posts

to the OP, congrats to the car! there isn't a better system out there that beats the factory look with modern technological features. to me, i must admit the ''correct look'' is more important than sound. the best sound isn't coming from the speakers anyway. nav or not it's the cleanest look money can buy. i say go for it.
Old 07-03-2016, 08:05 AM
Endoman
Pro

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

Personally I prefer Beckers though I realize in the USA the maps are a problem. I have a Becker Cascade in the 993 and a Porsche Classic in the 944. Radiowise, phone,ancilliary music are not much different. The nav systems on both are clunky. The cascade has voice activation and we can use the later BMW maps (with a bit of software tinkering). The touch screen on the Classic is dangerous to use on the move as is trying to look at the map. Imho the Becker looks better is better made and cost me 1/3 of the price of the Classic. I was disappointed with the look of the Classic in the 993 but it increases the value of the 944 100%.
Old 07-04-2016, 02:07 AM
will007
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 30 Posts

Just installed one in my "New" 1996 Targa (2 months in) and I highly recommend it.

1. Looks
a. by now you've heard from everyone on how it looks stock -- it really does

2. GPS, Nav., Bluetooth (Phone and music streaming)
a. works great
b. I did the wiring for the GPS antenna (put it on the drivers side dash -- as it is hidden by the instrument panel). Need to loosen the Top Dash and run the wires under the lower dash until the door post and then up -- takes a bit of work to hide the wires.
c. Microphone -- installed just above the sun visor. Hid the wires in the A pillar.
d. All work as expected

3. UI
a. overall very intuitive and easy to set up. Like the touchscreen, although sometimes using the ***** is quicker and easier.
b. Go to the sound settings and reduce the volume for the radio and up the volume for the Bluetooth (+12 -- max).

Hopefully the original wiring is intact and you don't have to rewire it (mine was hacked, so I had to get it back to OEM first). If you are DIYing it, and the wires are hacked, I have some extra harness items I can send your way..

4. Sound
a. you will find that your speakers will need an upgrade -- they are just too old.
b. depending on how loud you want it, the radio is more that sufficient to power the speakers. I've got the hi-fi setup and right now using Tore's wiring harness that bypasses the AMP (not working) and with crossovers the system works great. I can tell the speakers need replacing -- which is my next project.

Good luck!

Last edited by will007; 07-04-2016 at 02:10 AM. Reason: added some clarity to a couple points.
Old 07-05-2016, 11:36 AM
dannycf
Instructor

Thanks to all who replied. I think that I'll go for it!
Old 07-05-2016, 03:32 PM
schnell
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts
Default I'll think you'll be pleased.

We bought one from the Porsche booth at the Jay Peak Parade, and installed it this past weekend. Really nice design, lots of options to configure (turned off the spoken speed limit warning!). I'll be posting pics of how I mounted the GPS antenna under the dash pad.
Old 08-13-2016, 10:51 PM
Macs993
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I recently installed PCRN in my 95 993 and love it. It is like having a new car. My car had the original hifi option with the amp under the passenger seat. It sounds great. I have been a hifi aficionado my whole life with home McIntosh and B&W and a personal home studio. The Nokia hifi amp is fine and your stock speakers are fine unless you have had some damage from moisture etc. The key to getting great sound from it is what signal you feed into it. All car radio is crap and streaming bluetooth is low fi. Put your music on the mini SD card in a high bit rate MP3 like 256 or 320. Much higher is not going to make much difference, I experimented. And remember this is a noisy air cooled sports car that you probably like to drive with the sunroof and windows open. It is not a Bentley. The PCRN is more than adequate for great car sound. The Nav is kind of quirky but I am getting used to it.

Quick Reply: Porsche classic radio with Nav