Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

i got the midnight blue blahs

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2016, 02:22 AM
gt3'er
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Not likely, but since you have a '96, any chance your leather is Provence Blue, not Midnight Blue?
Old 05-14-2016, 02:46 AM
oldman40
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by nine9six
Maybe contact them again and send a photo. Wrong sample, possibly?
that's what i thought, so i hence the 2nd opinion. both were the same.

Originally Posted by makemann
I have the same problem with my Midnight Blue leather. Since I live near Classic 9, I took my new center armrest there and the two samples Bob had were not even close to being the right color. The armrest was a new old stock part, so the leather was not faded. He suggested that I leave the arm rest and he would try to find a supplier who manufactures a match.

Here are the two samples on the armrest for comparison:
yep, i have the same exact samples from both classic9 and gaah. i'm in the same boat as you--everyone thinks i've got the color wrong or the leather is faded and changed from original--uh, NO!

i'm porsche OCD like the rest of you, thank you very much. i've confirmed the midnight blue with the original window sticker, interior color code on the bonnet sticker, and the numerous examples of midnight blue 993 interiors online.

please do let me know if bob finds a suitable match!

i appreciate the great recommendations and comments! if any one out there has a solution, please pass on, thanks!
Old 05-14-2016, 10:50 AM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 207 Likes on 133 Posts

I saw an interior that was redone in Can Can red from Classic 9. Looked more like salmon color to me....
Old 05-14-2016, 01:27 PM
gt3'er
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Sorry, I did not mean to imply you don't know your stuff - I saw the Provence Blue on the PET, so threw it out there. I have no idea what hue that is, so may not even be close.

Sounds like you might need to request that the quotation include the cost of dyeing to match your existing seat/interior color.
Old 05-14-2016, 11:46 PM
oldman40
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gt3'er
Sorry, I did not mean to imply you don't know your stuff - I saw the Provence Blue on the PET, so threw it out there. I have no idea what hue that is, so may not even be close.

Sounds like you might need to request that the quotation include the cost of dyeing to match your existing seat/interior color.
no offense taken at all! just wanted to confirm that i'm card-carrying OCD like everyone else on this board. i agree with you gt3'er, seems like my best option is to take it into my local interior experts, and see what they think about a color match, thanks!
Old 05-16-2016, 11:39 PM
makemann
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I wrote GAHH customer service over the weekend and they requested I send them a thumbnail sample of my seat and they will try to find a match. I'll keep you updated.
Old 05-17-2016, 12:56 AM
oldman40
Rennlist Member

I wrote GAHH customer service over the weekend and they requested I send them a thumbnail sample of my seat and they will try to find a match. I'll keep you updated.
i'm all ears makemann!
Old 05-17-2016, 04:55 PM
P-track
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Midnight Blue interior is a nightmare to get new leather for. I tried many shops in Europe including a Porsche Classic centre, they ordered a sample from the factory and it was not even close.

Eventually I ordered a midnight blue leather dye, best match so far....
Old 05-17-2016, 11:48 PM
IainM
Rennlist Member

Received 300 Likes on 231 Posts

I'm no artist but I'm not colorblind and those swatches are not blue. What does the vendor say about that? Did they fade in shipping? Were they blue when they left the store?

My guess would be that there's a finish applied to the leather after they're sewn that makes it midnight blue. Dye, sealant, protectant dunno what they call it but those swatches are not blue.
Old 06-08-2016, 03:14 PM
helmet993
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Maybe try Metropol Blue? I think that was a 996 color but is worth a try.
Old 06-08-2016, 05:31 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 79 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by BobbyT
http://www.autosintl.net/ in Escondido, CA is outstanding. They do a lot of concours work, and did a perfect job on my seats.
+1

I used them years ago, very nice piece. contact them, they will send you a sample.
Old 12-21-2016, 01:05 PM
makemann
Racer

Default The search for a match continues...

Originally Posted by P-track
Midnight Blue interior is a nightmare to get new leather for. I tried many shops in Europe including a Porsche Classic centre, they ordered a sample from the factory and it was not even close.

Eventually I ordered a midnight blue leather dye, best match so far....
From where did you order your leather dye? I still do not have a close match to H24 Midnight Blue.
Old 12-21-2016, 02:48 PM
Opo
Nordschleife Master

Received 207 Likes on 76 Posts

Midnight blue
Old 12-21-2016, 05:36 PM
makemann
Racer

Originally Posted by Opo
Midnight blue
Hey Rudy, are you showing that you've been able to match your OEM part with a leather dye kit? If so, what kit did you use?

Or that you purchased a leather shift boot that matches? If so, where did you get it?

I'm looking for a leather dye kit that will match H24 Midnight Blue for my '97 C2.

Thanks.
Max

Last edited by makemann; 03-15-2017 at 08:53 PM.
Old 12-22-2016, 08:49 PM
Opo
Nordschleife Master

Received 207 Likes on 76 Posts

Hey Rudy, are you showing that you've been able to match your OEM part with a leather dye kit? If so, what kit did you use?

Or that you purchased a leather shift boot that matches? If so, where did you get it?

I'm looking for a leather dye kit that will match H24 Midnight Blue for my '97 C2.

Thanks.
Max
max , I was trying to show the original OEM color of midnight blue , 9 months ago I was looking for a black aluminum shifter and I couldn't find one anywhere , contacted Gert's , looked on eBay and finally the dealer told me that where only 2 left in germany in midnight blue , so I figured It would be easy to dye midnight blue to black .
i purchased this 2 and while waiting for them from germany I found one in black in good condition from a RL member , so now I have 2 midnight blue shifters in storage ..

Quick Reply: i got the midnight blue blahs