993 Forum 1995-1998

Tow Hooks/TieDown Mountings

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2002, 06:25 PM
QuikStuf993
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Tow Hooks/TieDown Mountings

On the board, recently, someone had posted a link to a manf site that had some really keen tow hooks and tie down mounts for 911's and 993. I stupidly did not bookmark this site.

Anyone want to pony up the website or related link?

Thanks in advance

QuikStuf
95 993 C4 Time Trialer and AutoX
74 911 3.2 Club Racer
Old 01-09-2002, 06:31 PM
Robin 993DX
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Not sure if this is what you are referring to, but here is the link.

Trailer tie down hooks

Old 01-09-2002, 06:41 PM
E. J. - 993 Alumni
Drifting

Hey Robin,

Forgive my ignorance, but does it make sense to put a lot of pressure on these particular mounting points on the suspension? I am asking about the relative strength of the parts that these hooks actually bolt to.

I have seen too many tie rods bent by over-zealous roll back operators at the track and would hate to think the same could happen here. Of course the a arms are stronger than the tie rods...

E. J.
Old 01-09-2002, 06:43 PM
Jean-Marc
Racer

Red face

Robin,
I just installed this on my Cup Car (bought from Gordon) and I am reasonably worried about the clearance between the actual red part and the suspension part. It really seems that there is very little clearance. Do you have any experience with this? I'm running at Road Atlanta Saturday and Sunday .
JM
Old 01-09-2002, 06:51 PM
Robin 993DX
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
EJ and Jean Marc,

You guys will need to ask Gordon himself.

I am just helping Gordon selling these products that they designed and manufactured through the shopping cart on my web site.

If you read the note on the bottom of that page you will see that I said that I have no affiliation with this product. And no I have not used this product, since I don't have a trailer.

With that said, just so you know, I have 100% faith and trust with this product from Gordon at Autometrics.
Old 01-09-2002, 08:20 PM
Hank Cohn
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Guys:

I think my 993 was one of the first cars to have these hooks installed. I used them for 2 years with no problems. The tow straps are not pulling them away from the car, but diagonally across the car. There is nothing to bend or break and it is a lot better than sliding a tow strap through the wheels and pulling from the outtermost point.

Just my $.02

Hank
Old 01-10-2002, 10:28 AM
coryf
Rennlist Member

Received 138 Likes on 69 Posts
In the rear, the tow hooks are mounted to one of the strongest suspension components, the sub frame. If attached correctly they will do not harm to the chassis. This is much better than attaching the straps to the wheels where the control arms, toe links, ect.. can flex and possibly bend causing a change in the alignment. The front are attached directly to an already existing factory tie down point that is used on the cars when they are shipped from Germany. If that point is good enough for Porsche, it is good enough for us We have used these hooks on our own RSR and several customer cars including Hank's and have had no problems. If anyone has any more questions or concerns please feel free to contact any of us at Autometrics Motorsports.
thanks for the long read.
Cory
Old 01-10-2002, 10:41 AM
E. J. - 993 Alumni
Drifting

Hey Cory, nice to hear from you. Tell your dad I said Hi.

Thanx for the follow up. Just wanted to be sure. As a side note, do you still make the rear tow hook that bolts to the engine block or something in the back?

Thanx again. Congrats on a great couple of years. Some of us actually follow your and your teams progress pretty closely.

E. J.

Oh yea - thanx to you too Hank.
Old 01-10-2002, 12:36 PM
SSilver
AutoX

Thanks, Robin....Autometrics were the folks I was looking for. I have several friends who have used the tow hooks and the tie downs and all are pleased with them.

I'll be ordering mine up here shortly!!!
Old 01-10-2002, 11:47 PM
Jean-Marc
Racer

Originally posted by coryf:
<STRONG>In the rear, the tow hooks are mounted to one of the strongest suspension components, the sub frame. If attached correctly they will do not harm to the chassis. This is much better than attaching the straps to the wheels where the control arms, toe links, ect.. can flex and possibly bend causing a change in the alignment. The front are attached directly to an already existing factory tie down point that is used on the cars when they are shipped from Germany. If that point is good enough for Porsche, it is good enough for us We have used these hooks on our own RSR and several customer cars including Hank's and have had no problems. If anyone has any more questions or concerns please feel free to contact any of us at Autometrics Motorsports.
thanks for the long read.
Cory</STRONG>
Hey Cory,
Good to read from you. I just dropped the car for Saturday's track day at Road Atlanta (sorry I couldn't make yours tomorrow) and the hooks are now 3" away from any suspension part so I feel much much better!!!
Take care
JM

Quick Reply: Tow Hooks/TieDown Mountings