Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Back in semi-street trim, loving it...

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2016, 01:36 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 515 Likes on 341 Posts
Default Back in semi-street trim, loving it...

Over the past few months, I have been bringing the car to a more user friendly street legal car. It is now a street and HPDE/DE/Time Trial car with:
1. New Cobra Suzuka Pro Fit GT Kevlar drivers seat,
2. Stock passenger power seat re-installed,
3. Fire extinguisher installed on the leading edge of passenger seat
4. Lower dash cap re-installed with passenger air bag re-installed,
5. Stock door panels with HiFi speakers re-installed
6. Radio with cassette player re-installed (Where do I get a cassette?)
7. Stock package shelf with speakers re-installed
8. Spare tire popped back into the trunk, with tool kit and air compressor
9. Six (6) CD player pending install...looking for power cord
10. Sound deadening (Aircraft grade) installed, in the rear package shelf,
11. Complete re-spray (Chris Hukill at Vision Motorsports)
12. New windshield
13. Covered front with EXPEL
14. Tow hooks front & rear
15. Air Conditioning (It has always been there), and it works!!!
16. Power steering, same story.
17. 993 RS carpet kit.
18. Re-installed Gert's front protection bar
19. For California emissions testing, the stock cat and stock mufflers were installed for a day and later removed.
20. AiM MXL-2 Dash and appropriate sensors (Installed by Lance Aspesi)

Removed
1. Front half of Heigo cage removed,
2. Fire system removed (Sold)
3. Cool Shirt ice box extracted from trunk (Sold)
4. Kill switch removed (Sold)
5. Sold off GT2 front splitter swapped out for 993 RS splitters
6. Sold off GT2 Tail swapped out for 993 RS tail
7. Sold off 60" Crawford wing and uprights
8. Window net removed (Sold)
9. Got rid of three (3) sets of O-Z Allegritta so called "Racing" Wheels (They are NOT...they bend easily). Back to 996 10 spoke 17" wheels, and a set of MY 2002 996 wheels. Getting another set of 996 10 spokes soon.

Retained
1. Close ratio gears, 3rd - 6th (A Lance Aspesi project...transformed the car as we have heard before!)
2. Forged shifting forks, 1-2 & 3-4, CMS and Albins, installed by Lance Aspesi,
3. Steel synchros, 2nd - 6th, installed by Lance,
4. FD Motorsports "Platinum" shifting rod (May be NLA), installed by Darin Fister no less, a Rock Star install! In the process Darin found some linkage mechanical butchery that he corrected
5. Factory short shift kit from FD Motorsports, installed by Darin too.
6. Ruf auxillary Oil Cooler (Installed by Los Altos Bob) with on-off switch,
7. Momo Model 30 350mm diameter steering wheel, with horn, ***
8. Rothsport steering wheel Quick Disconnect
9. 993 RS side skirts
10. Fabspeed X pipe
11. Fabspeed 200 cell sport cats
12. Fabspeed Maxflow mufflers (Thanks Ilko)
13. Completre ERP rear suspension components (Thanks to Bill Verberg for his advice)
14. MCS two way suspension with N canisters (Thanks to Lex Carson for his support)
15. 993 RS Uprights
16. Camber plates
17. 993 RS 23mm front and 20mm rear sway bars
18. Tarrett Engineering adjustable drop links (Thanks Ira Reiner @ Tarrett)
19. Schroth 5/6 point harness for driver, stock for passenger seat.
20. Guard Transmission repacked LSD

*** For about a month or so, I actually went back to the 380mm in diameter stock steering wheel ..it is just too damn big, especially after I had gotten used to a 350mm in diameter steering wheel. So a quick call to Rothsport cured this ill, and Lance Aspesi (One man shop in Van Nuys) installed the wheel for me....in fact, he has done all the mechanical work on the car's return back to stock in semi-street trim. He runs a one (1) man shop, epic!

Now here is the really weird thing, I have been to a number of tracks since the conversion back to "semi-street trim". The car is still a blast to drive. Where I thought it would be loose...it sticks as well as when I had the big aero on the car. My times are off a bit, but I am getting acclimated to driving the car in this new configuration. Got my eye on that CAE shifter, I must admit.

Just felt like sharing the project....all amped up after a 50 mile road trip on 4/22/16, I know that's not far, but I was grinning the whole way. And lastly, I have had this car since 12/99....was bone stock for about 1 1/2 years, then I hit the slope. You know how that goes.
Attached Images   

Last edited by Martin S.; 04-24-2016 at 12:54 PM.
Old 04-22-2016, 02:45 AM
911LeeN
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 18 Posts

Nice, Martin; still a wolf, just now in sheep's clothing...
Old 04-22-2016, 03:08 AM
FLYT993
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 57 Posts

martin, car looks beautiful, saw the car running at CFOS in the rain and tried to catch up with you but missed you. next time ...
Old 04-22-2016, 08:40 AM
TJ993
Banned

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Got Air >? Nu Billboard P car AD

Martin -
That first photo could be a Billboard "Got Air ?"
Awesome shot!

Love the Transformation!
Always preferred the suttle sleeper look, personally.
That and knowingly underneath she is a Wolf :>)
Tons of work man! great Job !

Would like to see Pics of your newly configured baby underneath!!
Tom
Old 04-22-2016, 09:17 AM
XavierLaFlamme
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 49 Posts

Wow, Martin. You have done a ton to your car.
Some day I will follow in your footsteps.

--Michael
Old 04-22-2016, 09:18 AM
Kein_Ersatz
Rennlist Member

Received 245 Likes on 174 Posts

Good look!

Blank Cassettes on eBay and Amazon then record with new muzak! But with Fabspeed still installed and 3.6 flat-6 out back, who needs muzak!
Old 04-22-2016, 12:38 PM
Jlaa
Rennlist Member

Received 192 Likes on 124 Posts

Wow! You have been really busy!

I have kept the cassette function in my car as well and kept the cassette holder in the center console. I rarely listen to the audio system, but dug out Prince's Purple Rain on cassette for a listen on 2016-4-21. Seemingly apropos.

You can still get cassettes on Amazon. I prefer Maxell XLII metal construction quality over TDK.
Old 04-22-2016, 02:06 PM
_snowbird_
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice restoration!
Old 04-23-2016, 01:26 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Smile

Originally Posted by XavierLaFlamme
Wow, Martin. You have done a ton to your car.
Some day I will follow in your footsteps.

--Michael
Michael, you are on the right track with those leather GT3 seats! I hope they are working out for you. And great (Painless) doing business with you.
Old 04-23-2016, 01:36 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by FLYT993
martin, car looks beautiful, saw the car running at CFOS in the rain and tried to catch up with you but missed you. next time ...
CFOS was an awesome event, running 125 mph + in the rain and 6th gear no less (I confess my gears are short). I had the wipers on high, and had a car in front of me....quite a pucker moment, but the NT-01 tires kept me on the track....to a degree I couldn't believe. I want to go back to Autoclub California Speedway with SpeedVentures on June 11th and 12th. They have an Open Passing Group...I have run at Autoclub California Speedway with them before, good experience.

I was in the (Green Group?) at CFOS, passing signals required, except on the oval. I don't think I saw many of these. How about you?

I was plagued with oil problems all weekend, from two causes. #1, pilot error, I didn't put the oil filler cap on...oil everywhere, ugh! Fixed that, then my MOTEC oil pressure sensor blew (The second one no less), my wrench Lance Aspesi, gave up his Saturday, and came all the way over from Van Nuys in god awful traffic, and patched it up. Now that spill was a mess. In conclusion, I didn't get many session in those 3 days at the track, but connected with lots of old friends (Worth the price of admission)...that's why I have to go back in June.
Old 04-23-2016, 01:44 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TJ993
Martin -
That first photo could be a Billboard "Got Air ?"
Awesome shot!

Love the Transformation!
Always preferred the suttle sleeper look, personally.
That and knowingly underneath she is a Wolf :>)
Tons of work man! great Job !

Would like to see Pics of your newly configured baby underneath!!
Tom
On the air shot, taken at Buttonwillow Raceway, the 23mm front bars were set in the middle, the rears in the middle as well. I never change the fronts...the only time I run the rears full soft is AutoClub California Speedway. I also bump up the N on the passenger side rear 10 Lbs, to 185.

A bottom shot? Next time up on the rack....it's not super clean, cosmoline still there, but the X pipe and suspension are fun to look at. Got to go...muts go drive the car...it IS street legal you know
Old 04-24-2016, 11:27 AM
FLYT993
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Martin S.
I was plagued with oil problems all weekend, from two causes. #1, pilot error, I didn't put the oil filler cap on...oil everywhere, ugh!....
i was a vendor so not on the track, but spectating. i've done the non oil cap error too...driving along and then smoke pouring out the back... and the requisite panic..."OMG! my car is on F'ing fire!!!"...only to pop the lid and see the oil dripping like maple syrup everywhere. relieved it was NOT burning, but pissed at myself for forgetting. i saw your car with her tail feathers up in the garage and realized you were dealing with an issue. lance sounds like a great guy/mechanic. all the best!

Last edited by FLYT993; 04-24-2016 at 11:28 AM. Reason: typo
Old 04-24-2016, 12:29 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Default Oil Filler Cap

The CFOS experience is etched in my pea like brain. That is the first time I forgot to put the oil filler cap back on......never again. Lance and I were prepping the car for CFOS, lots of things to do. So I took on some of the chores, and in the process while checking the air filter, and removing the air box for a little more clearance, forgot to put it back on. Next disaster, MOTEC oil pressure sensor self destructs producing even more oil. This is the second time for that sensor to fail, and both times at Cali Speedway.

But in between oil issues, out on the track, what an incredible experience driving at speed out on the ROVAL in the driving rain, windshield wipers on full blast.

Thanks for supporting the event as a vendor. I hope you had a prosperous weekend. See you next year.
Old 04-24-2016, 02:57 PM
johnireland
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

This is the best Rennlist thread I've ever read. And Martin S show just how good a street legal Porsche can be. Thanks.
Old 04-24-2016, 09:23 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Default Flattered

Originally Posted by johnireland
This is the best Rennlist thread I've ever read. And Martin S show just how good a street legal Porsche can be. Thanks.
I am flattered by your kind words. One last thing, I have kept the mufflers pretty mellow, Fabspeed Maxflows, and have been fighting the urge to install FD Motorsports Stage II mufflers....but with a lot of the sound deadening removed, the car is less than quiet ....But, I can listen to FM radio, when in LA, KLOS of course.

Quick Reply: Back in semi-street trim, loving it...