993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Porsche Magazine

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2002 | 08:51 AM
Doc Vorce

Post New Porsche Magazine

GT MAGAZINE (subtitled "Purely Porsche") is a new periodical devoted to Porsches of all sorts. The first issue (December 2001) is currently available at major book retailers.
Old 01-07-2002 | 12:40 PM
Kevin Reilly
Pro

I picked it up to read over the holidays. Very nice, high quality magazine, and a good effort for the opening issue. $9.99 at Barnes & Noble.

No 993 information in the first issue, though. But I had a copy of "911 & Porsche World" with its 993 buyers guide article to satisfy me in that regard.
Old 01-08-2002 | 12:54 AM
Dave Crellin
Racer

I picked up the second issue on my way back from holiday in the UK. I found it a bit overpoweringly positive - you'd think there was nothing wrong with any P-Car, inc 914, 924, etc.

Having said that, the articles about the Ruf R turbo convertible and the TechArt make the heart yearn....
Old 01-08-2002 | 04:31 AM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Talking

Dear Dave,
If you read the magazine very carefully you may see who is "really" behind it. This magazine is like Christophorus. Its job it to take market share away from 911 and Porsche World. The words "Independent" are somewhat loosely used. Far too expensive as well,
Ciao,
Adrian
911C4
Old 01-08-2002 | 04:57 AM
brandon
Instructor

I've never read (nor seen) Christophorus - what's the opinion of it & where to get it? I get "Panorama", buy "Excellence", and thumb through "911 & Porsche World", how does it compare?

Regards
Old 01-08-2002 | 05:50 AM
MarkC
Instructor

I've got both the first and second issues.
Adrian's spot on, it takes a rose tinted view of the Porsche world. The look and feel is higher quality than World (thicker cover and glued spine) but the articles have yet to have any "edge". More lifestyle than real life.
If you don't get Christophorous, and I don't 'cos I haven't bought a new car and don't use an OPC, it's a another angle on things Porsche so I intend to stick with for a while.
Old 01-08-2002 | 07:26 AM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Talking

Dear Flash,
Christophorus is the offical Porsche magazine. Comes in English or German. It is truly a Porsche propaganda magazine. However once past this area it is a good magazine if you live in Europe. The articles can be excellent, the tyre testing invaluable and the travel items excellent.
Cost me 30 Euros per year. 5 Euros each magazine.
In the USA it would have less use I agree but if you want to know what is really going on within PAG and around the world it is quite a useful magazine. They are quite honest in their write ups on themselves,
Ciao,
Adrian
911C4
Old 01-08-2002 | 10:58 AM
Jim Sullivan
Instructor

Christophorus is definitely propaganda. But that's OK sometimes. After all, they're preaching to the choir so to speak, the print quality and pics are great, and generally I can't get enough about these cars. My only complaint is that Christophorus must use a computer based interpreter program because the English version often reads very wooden or "robotic" for lack of a better term.

If I were ranking mags, I'd start with Excellence and Panorama in a dead tie for first, followed by Porsche World, then Christophorus since I haven't yet had my hands on GT Magazine.
Old 01-08-2002 | 11:38 AM
Snoops
Advanced

I've read GT magazine and found it to be just like EVO magazine. Full of beautiful pictures but not much detailed information. I also read 991 and Porsche world and I find it quite an interesting read even though I can read the mag within 10 minutes of buying it.

What we need is a mag called 911 World. A magazine dedicated the 911. With real detailed information about each and every 911 variation, with each issue concentrsting on a particular model i.e one month 993 another 993 C2S another C4S.
How the car compares with other production cars when launched. Compare different mod chips, air filters, exhausts etc etc....

Oh and a free 911 poster with every issue.
Old 01-08-2002 | 12:16 PM
MarkC
Instructor

Nah, they should pay us to read it!

Snoops,

You're way out of line re EVO. EVO is easily the best magazine available in the UK for the driving enthusiast. The articles are beautifully written as well as beautifully photographed.
They may sometimes be a little light on technical side but as the emphasis is on the driving experience rather than the technology that underpins it I think they can be forgiven.
AND they love Porsches especially 911's, despite taking a load of flak via the letters page for their Porsche favouritism!
Old 01-08-2002 | 02:15 PM
brandon
Instructor

Snoops - let's go one better, a 993 only mag! Yeah, that's the ticket. With about a 400 pages an issue, that comes out weekly, glossy pages, and free to 993 owners, and maybe yearly calendar as well
Old 01-09-2002 | 10:15 AM
Riccardo
Burning Brakes

I was recently in NY for a few days and, having heard here on Rennlist about Excellence, tried to look for it in a number of newsagents, bookshops and magazine shops. I even found 911 World, but no Excellence! Seems darn hard to get hold of and all the salespeople I spoke to looked at me with a blank expression when I asked them if they had "Excellence".

Then, on my arrival to my destination (Brazil) I accidentally saw it and, of course bought it straight away (albeit an October issue, in December). Must say I was thoroughly unimpressed. There were almost no articles and it seemed to have more adverts than anything else. Have I missed something here?

Quick Reply: New Porsche Magazine