Sponsored by:

Just purchased a 993

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2003, 08:54 AM
jorisg
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just purchased a 993

Hi guys, just purchased a 1994 993 in the not so common color Amaranth Violet. AS you can understand I am over the moon with it, well will be since I will pick her up this coming Saturday!!

ANyway, I have just been reading the thread about carbon build-up and was am a little concerned, also about how to drive the car. My previous car 87 3.2 cab was doing little under 3000 rpm so I was most of the time driving it about this mark. however when test driving my newly purchased 993 I noticed so much torque beneath 3000 that I was assuming it could also be driven under 3000rpm (of course not in sixth gear).

THe question is can some of you please give me some advice on what is the recommended rpm range for normal driving conditions?

MAny thanks

Joris
Old 10-10-2003, 09:09 AM
Christer
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The car is designed to be driven at a variety of rpms. Using low revs exclusively is not correct, and you might as well not get a fast car if you only use 30% of the power.

I regularly (well at least on most drives) redline or thereabouts (only after oil is completely warmed up of course) and it has 90000 miles.

Just drive the damn thing like you stole it - it can take it!
Old 10-10-2003, 09:16 AM
stedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

BTW - the carbon buildup issue only affects OBDII, no? At least as far as the CEL goes... So, unless I misunderstood some of the previous posts (which is certainly possible!), I think you are OK - or as OK as any other pre OBD-II Porsche!

Drive it.
Old 10-10-2003, 09:24 AM
jorisg
Instructor

THanks guys,

Don't get me wrong, I do not own a Porsche for years and year to drive them below 3000 rpm, but with the older ones I was always trying to keep rev's above 3000, driving then slowly through villages and stuff always felt a little ridiculous (2nd gear 3.500 a lot of noise) just hoped that with the 993 I could also drive sometimes at lower rev's.

But if I understand you correctly low rev driving is not a problem unless you truely enjoy yourself, and the car, immediately after that !!

Sorry just had to show the car!

Joris
Old 10-10-2003, 01:06 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Joris,

What a great color! Your car looks wonderful. Listen to the above advice about driving at varying RPMs, and occassionally romp it to full redline. Good for the car, and fun to boot!

Where are you located? Join the Rennlist and make new friends!
Old 10-10-2003, 01:41 PM
graham_mitchell
Banned

Received 443 Likes on 242 Posts

Imho, 2500+ is ok for this car for coasting along, but when fully warmed up, I think it's a good idea to rev it to 6000 at least once a drive. It really does seem to keep the engine running better!
Old 10-10-2003, 03:13 PM
Pete in DC
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 27 Posts

There are two things I can't stand in this world. People with 993s in colors I covet, and the Dutch....*

Nicely done, Joris...let the purple reign begin!

* apologies to Michael Caine...
Old 10-10-2003, 04:01 PM
SLVR
Pro

Joris - That is a gorgeous color!!! I love that color but they are extremely rare. I have seen only one ever in this color in DC (couple of months ago). Really COOL!!!

Are you going to spoil it with one of those huge yellow guillotines that double as license plates??

Pete - .....what was that with the Dutch...? ;-)

Joris - can you PM me who is your trusted mechanic? I see the green plate, therefore I surmize there was an "official" shop involved in your purchase .... Mine's going to land there soon and I need a little wrenching done. TIA

Quick Reply: Just purchased a 993