Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front uprights - RS or GT2 Evo?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2003, 04:41 AM
JohnM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Front uprights - RS or GT2 Evo?

The GT2 Evo uprights get honourable mentions as a cure for bump steer on lowered cars, but the RS uprights (993.341.157.81 & 993.341.158.81) have approx 30mm lower attachment points for the tie-rods, so is it best from a geometry point of view to use RS uprights or GT2 Evo uprights on a car at RS ride height?

RS would seem the obvious answer, I know, but I recall a post from some while back that said even the GT2 Evo uprights still had some bump steer characteristic, and actually need a spacer to get bump steer near zero, but I don't know the ride height for which that comment applied - GT2 Evo rode pretty low!

Anyone know which upright would give best geometry (with the "motorsport"/RS tie rods, of course).
Old 10-10-2003, 06:41 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 524 Likes on 346 Posts

What are "RS track control arms"...please enlighten me!

Gert sells the Evo uprights...I always thought they were the same uprights found on the 993RS cars...it seems this is not the case.

Since the RS was made as a street car first, race car second, I would think the RS uprights would be the way to go.
Old 10-10-2003, 07:19 AM
JohnM
Racer

Hi Martin,

Track Control arms are what PET calls the suspension A-arms, which have stiffer rubber bushing for the RS. I've seen Gert's bump steer package, and was going to get hold of it but then started wondering why the parts are always referred to as GT2 Evo components - suggesting they are not the same as the RS parts. If someone could advise the differences that would be great!
Old 10-10-2003, 07:45 AM
maurice97C2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by Martin S.
What are "RS track control arms"...please enlighten me!
Its just Porsche's nomenclature in PET - normally known as A-arms, wishbones ... RS ones have less compliant bushes to contribute that degree of extra life / feel.

Have you done front and rear, John? I've collected a front left to date .... just a few more years ...

Cheers, Maurice
Old 10-10-2003, 08:34 AM
JohnM
Racer

Hi Maurice,

Yes, I've done all 4 corners - including one of Bert's £100 FL parts (looks like the Porsche Centre down his way ordered up half a dozen FL RS A-arms by mistake then got rid of them cheaply to Bert ).
Old 10-10-2003, 11:13 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 100 Likes on 51 Posts

From the people I have spoke to about the EVO front uprights, they all have gave the two thumbs-up about the improvement from reducing front bumpsteer on a lowered car. They even gave the same reviews for a non-lowered, USA ride height.

They are on my list to do..
Old 10-10-2003, 02:19 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 524 Likes on 346 Posts

RS Tie Rod ends and the Evo uprights are on my wish list, along with a PMS LSD, and maybe even a G50/32 tranny....Santa Klaus, Father Christmas, I do hope you are reading Rennlist!!!!
Old 10-10-2003, 02:46 PM
maurice97C2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by chris walrod
From the people I have spoke to about the EVO front uprights, they all have gave the two thumbs-up about the improvement from reducing front bumpsteer on a lowered car. They even gave the same reviews for a non-lowered, USA ride height.

They are on my list to do..
Chris, that doesn't really add up - the whole idea of changing the uprights to reduce bump steer on lowered cars is to optimise the arc of travel of the tie rod - ideally, at static ride height, the tie rod should be near horizontal, so that bump and rebound produce slight toe in (depending on the arc of travel of the control arm, of course).

Cheers, Maurice
Old 10-10-2003, 05:23 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 100 Likes on 51 Posts

The goal of bumpsteer adjustments is to eliminate any toe change from bump to droop of the suspension assy.

On open wheel cars, bumpsteer is eliminated by raising or lowering the toe links as needed. This was simply done with tophats pressed into the rod-end.

On the rear of the 993, toe change is designed into the geometry in efforts to stabilize the inherent oversteering qualities of previous generations of the 911. Of coarse so how I understand this type of rear suspension to act when loaded.

Quick Reply: Front uprights - RS or GT2 Evo?