Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

993 wheels powder coated or painted?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2003, 05:01 PM
maxiter
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 993 wheels powder coated or painted?

So I was goint to have some wheel repair done to take care of some superficial abrasions. Only the finish is damaged, not the aluminium wheel itself.

Are the 993TT 18" OE hollow spoke turbo style wheels powder coated (plus clear coat) or simply pained (plus clear coat)?

My dealer "thought" they were powder coated, but wasn't certain. The 1 reputable wheel repair shop says they are painted (with confidence).

So I turn to the gurus here for a real answer. Anybody know?

Thanks!
Old 10-09-2003, 05:21 PM
ksimpson
Racer

Powder coating is best if you can get it done. Painting generally looks as well, but doesn't last at the paint chips very easily. Powder coating is the same as the factory finish and is more durable.
Old 10-09-2003, 05:31 PM
maxiter
Racer

Originally posted by ksimpson
Powder coating is best if you can get it done. Painting generally looks as well, but doesn't last at the paint chips very easily. Powder coating is the same as the factory finish and is more durable.
So is the factory finish a powder coat? The one reference I found from searching the forums indicated high confidence it was a painted finish.

There's a place local to me that will do powder coat, but.... I'm cheap^H^H^H^H^H planning on replacing the wheels in the spring anyway, so I was going to just have them painted.
Old 10-09-2003, 06:02 PM
ksimpson
Racer

I think painting is fine and the cheaper option, especially if you're planning on replacing them anyway.

My understanding was that they are originally powder coated. Maybe someone else can confirm.
Old 10-09-2003, 06:11 PM
STLPCA
Addict & Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The oem wheels are painted, not powder coated.
Old 10-09-2003, 09:12 PM
ksimpson
Racer

How can you get them repainted to the same standard as factory. I had mine repainted by my OPC, but they appear to be chipping very easily.
Old 10-09-2003, 09:16 PM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Received 343 Likes on 240 Posts

Ken and Maxiter

I talked to Wheel Enhancement in California about re-doing my wheels this winter. They said that the factory finish is painted and baked. That's the procedure they use to duplicate the OEM finish.

Ken, the chipping could be caused by a paint finish improperly applied and not baked on after the finish is applied.
Old 10-09-2003, 09:27 PM
lexpilot
Racer

Lightbulb Chrome ?

If you can live without your wheels for awhile you may be able to chrome them for about the cost of powder coating.
Attached Images  
Old 10-09-2003, 09:42 PM
p_carfan
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I got a powder coating estimate from a local shop, they do a lot of industrial work and some stuff for the local hot rod clubs. I was very surprised, the bid was about $75 a wheel. I thought that was a very good price. I was thinking about doing my wheels red.........after some thought, I considered black and then I just put the idea on hold.
Old 10-09-2003, 11:39 PM
maxiter
Racer

Thanks for all the replies and info. I'll call my shop and make sure my wheels get baked.

Powder coating is certainly a good cost effective option. Might consider it in the future.

I was actually warned against chroming aluminum wheels. Something about being more subjected corrosion. I have no first hand experience with that, but the chromed wheels I have seen looked good and seemed like they were holding up fine.
Old 10-10-2003, 02:20 AM
lexpilot
Racer

The turbo twist wheels on my 1995 coupe pictured above were chromed 2 years ago. They were stock wheels that were chromed afterward. They show no signs of deterioration in any way.
I had chrome (alloy) Lexus wheels on my 99 LS 400 also. They also looked as new when I sold that car.
The cost for chroming the factory wheels was about $140 each. I believe that there generally local sources that do this throughout the USA.
Old 10-10-2003, 03:34 PM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Maxiter,

The warning that you received re chroming an aluminum alloy wheel may have been for corrosion, but what they really are talking about is hydrogen
embrittlement.

Aluminum alloys are vulnerable to cracking when exposed to conditions that inject hydrogen into the component. The chrome plating of aluminum is such a process. The addition of hydrogen into the metal can reduce the ductility and load-bearing capacity of the component, in this case the alloy wheel. Not all metals are equally subject to this condition. It is most likely to show up in high strength steels, titanium alloys and aluminum alloys.

In the aviation industry the chrome plating of propeller spinners (aluminum alloy) is banned for this reason. These have been cases where a shiny, chromed spinner has failed in flight and the failure traced back to hydrogen
embrittlement.

Admittedly an aircraft spinner is much thinner and more fragile than the robust wheels on our cars. But, this is certainly a case for painting or powder coating.
Old 10-10-2003, 05:15 PM
STLPCA
Addict & Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mike
As is frequently the case, I've learned something new from one of your posts. I had always heard that chrome plating wheels was undesirable because, apart from adding unsprung weight, it increased the likelihood of failure. I never knew why, until now. Thanks.
Old 10-10-2003, 05:31 PM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Dan,

Thanks for the kind words. Right back at you - you've been a great help in the last year and a half that I've owned my car and have answered many of my questions, both directly to me and indirectly via other posts. I appreciate all the thoughtful help you're provided.

Quick Reply: 993 wheels powder coated or painted?