Sponsored by:

1996 C4S owner at last !

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2003, 01:14 AM
rodC4S
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1996 C4S owner at last !

Received delivery of a 13,400 mile 96 Arena Red C4S Today, sight unseen, on condition that i could refuse delivery iw the car was not as expected.

Bought it from RPM Motorsports (Ray Joseph). Paid less than he was asking but not quite the price i had in mind.

Read the following with the fact in mind that I am a fussy B***tard and i am comparing this car with new ones.

So Far i am very happy with the car. I give Ray 9 out of 10 for expectations set versus reality. The biggest dissapointment was that the car was pretty dirty on the outside, all finger prints, some tree sap or something and loads of dust and water streaks. I know it sat in his warehouse/showroom for at least six months and that is what it looked like. Tommorrow it goes to my favourite detail shop who really know what they are doing and i am sure it will come back like new. If it had come out the trailer clean i would have given him 9.5 out of 10.

In fairness to Ray however, he didnt have much time to get it clean since he got the funds Monday and shipped it Tue afternoon and some of the marks and dirt are from shipping, but i did pay extra to have it shipped enclosed so it should have been clean. Still, first impressions count.

The paint on the car is almost perfect, considering it has 13400 miles. I found one minor stone chip/mark on the rear wheel arch (easily fixed) that was not worth sending the car back over, but it wasnt mentioned though. Anything else is so small it will be gone with a professional buff and some coats of wax.

The interior is as advertised - totally perfect, super clean, unmarked. 10 out of 10.

Mechanically the car seems perfect, everything works, it drives awesome, Rear tires near new, fronts 75% good. Pirelli.

I will report more as i get to know the car.

In the mean time, all i need to do is get used to the 4WD and learn to drive this beauty properly.

I will post pics as soon as i have some good ones small enough to send.

Love the car
Old 10-09-2003, 06:43 AM
Chris W. - '96 Targa
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats on the new wheels! Arena Red is a great color! Hopefully you don't have any surprises with the mechanicals. Was a PPI done before the purchase? How long do you have to be able to send back in case something unexpected pops up?

-Chris
Old 10-09-2003, 09:16 AM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Received 343 Likes on 240 Posts

Rod,

Congrats. Arena Red is a sweeeeeeet color. For the (inevitable) stone chips, pick up a touch-up kit at your Porsche dealer. I've tried all the other methods and this is still the best match.

The kit you want is #911-095-933-2084-R. The kit has a bottle of color and a bottle of clear for your car.
Old 10-09-2003, 09:20 AM
Chris W. - '96 Targa
Addict
Rennlist Member

And if the front end is currently free of stone chips, invest in Invincashield or StonGard or similar.

-Chris
Old 10-09-2003, 11:14 AM
rodC4S
Advanced

No stone chips on this one ! Thanks for the tip on the porsch kit. Dont know what Ivincashield or Stongard is though, tell me more.

Thanks
Old 10-09-2003, 11:26 AM
Chris W. - '96 Targa
Addict
Rennlist Member

clear film that is applied to front-end. Same basic material as the factory stone guard film in front of the rear wheels. The aftermarket film is made by 3M. Invinca-Shield and StonGard are two popular distributors.

My car has Invinca-Shield film on the front bumper, headlight surrounds, lower 1/3 of the hood, and side mirrors. Invinca-Shield was great to work with. (no affiliation with them other than a happy customer)

Check the archives for more; you'll find lots of info.

-Chris
Old 10-09-2003, 11:29 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 102 Likes on 52 Posts

Congrats on the purchase! Also congrats on purchasing sight unseen! Gutsy move....

Post some pics asap! I like Arena Red
Old 10-09-2003, 11:30 AM
jw97C2S
Racer

Chris W. - '96 Targa said "Was a PPI done before the purchase?"

Was wondering that myself Chris.

Jim
Old 10-09-2003, 11:43 AM
rodC4S
Advanced

Guys, i will admit it, No PPI. You guys may think i am crazy but i have never bought any car with a PPI. I go by the condition of the car, Mileage, and the most important think of all, TEST DRIVE. driving a car tells all.

Read some of the horror stories on post PPI discovery and you will see they are nice but not the be all and end all

The way i figure is, how much can be wrong with a 13000 mile car ?

I will probably get slammed for the above statements, please take it easy.

Yes it was risky but RPM promised to take the car back if i was not satisfied, and i drove it before i paid the delivery guy.

I also figure, RPM has a reputation to keep in this small Porsche world. If they stiff you you can be sure the whole world will know, so i figure it was worth the risk.

Looks like it paid off.
Old 10-09-2003, 01:13 PM
KeithR3
Pro

Arena Red is an awful ugly color...that I love!
Old 10-09-2003, 01:14 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Three areas to check:
1). Leaky steering rack. Very common, especially on cars that are garage queens.
2). Leaky clutch slave cylinder. Not a big deal
3). Corroded aux fan resistor boards. Not too big a deal.

Congrats on your purchase. Arena red always makes me smile. Simply georgous. Please get rid of that avatar and put up a real picture of your car. Join Rennlist. Start changing stuff.
Old 10-09-2003, 01:49 PM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Received 343 Likes on 240 Posts

Rod,

Ditto on the InvincaShield. Great product for the nose, hood and rear fender piece replacement if they are beat up at all.

What color is your interior?
Old 10-09-2003, 02:11 PM
User 4621
Race Director

Received 614 Likes on 326 Posts

Congrats on a great looking car.

Let me slap you now for not getting a PPI done. There, now don't do it again. Of course it's not foolproof, but it is a very important part of a purchase, because it can find issues not possible to notice visually or on a test drive, issues the PO may not even been aware of.

What can go wrong on a 13K mile car? As much as can go wrong with a 93K mile car, perhaps more, as sitting unused can cause all sorts of problems too.

I also bought my Arena Red '96 C4S sight unseen, and lucked out with a good one. So far, not a dime spent on the car other than mods and the usual stuff, no warning lights or problems, knock on wood. For pics of my car click on the link in my sig. It's OK for a daily driver/ track day joy ride.

Who shipped your car, so we can avoid them? Mine arrived spotless, under a cover in an enclosed carrier.

It seems like minor paint chips are a big issue for you. These cars are notorious for chips, so I also recommend you get the InvincaShield. Inevitably, the first stone that kicks up will chip your paint 1/4" above the shield. Don't worry, this is normal.

You mentioned getting used to the AWD. Have you previously owned a 2WD 993? I ask because unless you plan on tracking or autocrossing the car, there isn't really anything to get used to, it's pretty transparent. It's a Coke-Pepsi kind of thing, and dialing out any undesirable habits in either one are pretty easy.

Unless you have a strong preference already, do a search on waxes, a passionate subject for many of us, split pretty cleanly between the Zaino and P21S/Zymol factions.

Best of luck, you will love this car!
Old 10-09-2003, 02:22 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 500 Likes on 321 Posts

Congrats and welcome to the board. Pretty nuts to not get a PPI but I hope it all goes well for you.

Last edited by Mark in Baltimore; 10-09-2003 at 03:01 PM.
Old 10-09-2003, 02:25 PM
rodC4S
Advanced

Thanks guys. Its got a black interior, i joined Rennlist as a member this morning and as for mods i will be primarily interested in the best tires (not really a mod) and shocks. I have read the archives on this. Always liked Bilsteins on my other cars.

I hate stone chips, but does that film not look weird ?. How thick is it ?

Tried to post a pic but the file is too big. working on it.

Never owned a 2Wd 911.

Quick Reply: 1996 C4S owner at last !