Sponsored by:

1996 C4S owner at last !

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2003, 03:12 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 500 Likes on 321 Posts

Rod,

On my silver car, the Xpel film is barely visible. From fifteen feet away, you don't even notice it. From four feet, you can see the edges but it doesn't look ugly or strange. I, too, was concerned that the smooth nose of my 993 would be disturbed by the product but it has been a non-issue. It definitely makes the inevitable stone hits less devastating, and turns many a blow from a permanent chip to a mere mark. Big hits from large, sharp rocks will tear the material, though.
Old 10-09-2003, 03:32 PM
User 4621
Race Director

Received 614 Likes on 326 Posts

Originally posted by rodC4S
Thanks guys. Its got a black interior, i joined Rennlist as a member this morning and as for mods i will be primarily interested in the best tires (not really a mod) and shocks. I have read the archives on this. Always liked Bilsteins on my other cars.

I hate stone chips, but does that film not look weird ?. How thick is it ?

Tried to post a pic but the file is too big. working on it.

Never owned a 2Wd 911.
Good shocks and lowering the car are probably the best money you can spend.

To imagine what the film looks like, look at the shields you already have on your rear fenders. Now picture that on your bumper and hood.

Personally I chose not to install it, because I love the shine of a good wax job on the hood as much as anywhere else. I bought my car knowing it had a few minor chips, and decided that I would instead eventually repaint the the front, using it as an excuse to remove the bumperettes and install brake ducts.
Old 10-09-2003, 04:31 PM
Chris W. - '96 Targa
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by PeterS
I bought my car knowing it had a few minor chips, and decided that I would instead eventually repaint the the front, using it as an excuse to remove the bumperettes and install brake ducts.
I did the same, and installed the InvincaShield after I got it back from the paint shop. That way, next time around when the film is marred, I can just peel it off and reapply, paint undamaged.

-Chris
Old 10-09-2003, 05:00 PM
AGC
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats on the car Arena red is one of my favorite color. I have bought 3 cars sight unseen and have to say that it's a chance. Out of the 3 cars two were in better condition than expected and the third one well let's just say I only had the car a few months before I sold it. As for my 993TT, I bought it sight unseen through Luxury Car Network, which really is just an agen (they do not own any of the cars on their site) but did get a PPI. The car was in better condition than I expected and my car is black and you sdeel every imperfection. But the PO did take good care of the car and I must say I am very pleased with it. Good luck and enjoy. I have not used my car much lately, my wife and I just had our first child, but hopefully will begin to enjoy it soon.
Old 10-09-2003, 05:19 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,891 Likes on 2,410 Posts

rod, congrats on the C4S. sounds like a nice one. happy driving.
Old 10-09-2003, 05:25 PM
phatbut
Racer

Rod..Very Bold! Very Very Bold. I too was checking out cars from Ray as I have heard great things about his cars. But I just wanted to see it for myself. It took me 5months to get mine..but I had to drive 200miles away.

But I felt really good knowing I knew what I was getting.

Congrats..
Old 10-09-2003, 06:52 PM
jw97C2S
Racer

Rod

Congrats on the car! It seems like many people on Rennlist these days are forgoing the PPI. I really don't understand why since even a long distance PPI is pretty easy to arrange. As far as I know, RPMMotorsports almost exclusively deals in low mileage cars. If you perform an archives search, I think you'll find a Rennlister who bought one of RPMs cars and later found that it had much damage. I think a PPI even at this late date may be in your best interest. Enjoy the 993!!
Jim
Old 10-10-2003, 12:03 AM
Luis A.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 6 Posts

Rod,

Congrats! Enjoy the fatbutt.

I also made the 'mistake' of buying my yellow C4S without a PPI. Didn't feel right as I'm very fussy but I had gone over so many cars while searching for the yellow one that I felt confident I could identify any isues quickly after I received it. Like you, the PO and I contractually agreed to he taking it back should it not be as represented. The car had 5,500 verifiable miles with two identified owners/collectors. Yes, I know I know: what! 5,500 miles in 6 years, dry seals, yada yada. Well no issues and I do make sure to near-red line several times on every outing.

I highly recommend the Invinca Shield. Good price and definitely a DYI if you are patient, can follow instructions and have a good 'physical feel' for things. I put it on myself without much trouble.

Enjoy!
Old 10-10-2003, 11:27 AM
rodC4S
Advanced

Drove the car from Atlanta to Chattanooga/ Lookout Mtn yesterday on some of my favourite back roads, around 135 miles.

What a car, this thing is AWESOME. Absolutely no problems with the car. Handling is amazing, and so smooth at speed.

Now, after my initial dissapointment with the cleanliness, i had my Fav detailer do his magic and the car gleamed and really could show candle to a new car. I am really really happy with it.

I did talk with Ray about the car being dirty on arrival and he said it left his place clean. Go figure, this thing sure does attract dust though, wonder if there is a way to reduce static.

The car is going to Porsche for the wiring harness check next week, i will have them go over the car then as a PPI (post purchase inspection, scuse the pun). Let you know how i get on.

Rod
Old 10-10-2003, 02:55 PM
CarmG993
Burning Brakes

Default Hey Rod

Sent you a PM.. if you get a chance, shoot me an email.

Thanks.

Quick Reply: 1996 C4S owner at last !