Sponsored by:

Oil Filler Tube Leak

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2016, 09:31 PM
sandsman
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Filler Tube Leak

After cleaning my ISV which was completely clogged I had a sudden oil leak in my 993 C2. It's localized (looking in to the engine bay) to the near right hand side around the oil filler tube area - it looks like the base from the pic I took. It produced a fair amount of smoke and smell until I had to stop and tow the car. Is there a connection. It's dark right now but is there a connection I should be looking for? Help!!! And could the increase in pressure from a cleaner ISV cause this leak?
Old 03-11-2016, 10:39 PM
Linnm
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any chance you filled the crankcase to overfilled status?
Old 03-11-2016, 11:04 PM
BobbyT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts

If you go to this link, scroll down one page, select your model/year, and drill down to main group 1, sub group 04, illustration 104-01, you can see the oil filler and related parts. As Linnm pointed out above, a leak in this area is often due to overfilling--the oil level is up to one of the joints in the filler that may not be sealing well, and just runs out.

You may also want to check the accordion extension in the filler tube. These are often cracked, and let oil run out when it is being added.

http://www.porsche.com/usa/accessori...artscatalogue/
Old 06-14-2018, 11:54 AM
BLT
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

My extension is cracked per the dealer mechanic about 18 months ago. Lately I see a few oil drips in the garage right below that area, so I assume that's what it is.

Is it hard to replace? I can do basic mechanical stuff no problem until the space gets too tight or special tools (or tiny hands) are needed.

Thanks

BT
Originally Posted by BobbyT
If you go to this link, scroll down one page, select your model/year, and drill down to main group 1, sub group 04, illustration 104-01, you can see the oil filler and related parts. As Linnm pointed out above, a leak in this area is often due to overfilling--the oil level is up to one of the joints in the filler that may not be sealing well, and just runs out.
You may also want to check the accordion extension in the filler tube. These are often cracked, and let oil run out when it is being added.

http://www.porsche.com/usa/accessori...artscatalogue/
Old 06-14-2018, 02:17 PM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by BLT
[left]My extension is cracked per the dealer mechanic about 18 months ago. Lately I see a few oil drips in the garage right below that area, so I assume that's what it is.

Is it hard to replace? I can do basic mechanical stuff no problem until the space gets too tight or special tools (or tiny hands) are needed.

Thanks

BT
Brian,
It's actually easy to replace, as it simply presses into the filler tube. However replacement is certainly not necessary, nor recommended on a part that can decompose into your oil tank; where most don't realize this until it is too late and already started to, or has completely crumbled into the oil tank.
Along with an extra quart of oil, and assorted tools and belts, I also carry a funnel.

HTH
Old 06-14-2018, 05:48 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,509 Likes on 1,065 Posts

These things decompose. If your car still has one pull it out and throw it away and use a funnel going forward.
When you remove the extension be sure it leaves no plastic debris behind. If it does you will need to clean up the debris and change your oil.

When filling the oil:
  • Measure the fill with a hot engine while running.
  • Only fill to the bottom 1/3 of the fill range on the dip stick
  • Make note on the oil fill gauge where it sits for future comparative reference.
  • If you put 10 quarts in you are probably overfilling the engine.
  • No need to disconnect any oil lines or pipes during an oil change, only replace the filters.

Overfilling can make a mess inside the intake and may contribute to clogged air injector ports in the emissions secondary air injector system. For some, it also leaves the impression of excessive oil usage potentially resulting in the faulty conclusion of the need for a top end rebuild due to consumption.
Old 06-14-2018, 08:00 PM
BLT
Instructor

Thanks for the responses.

I think I get it now, but still not sure if/how the extension could be causing my small oil drip.

BT

Originally Posted by pp000830
These things decompose. If your car still has one pull it out and throw it away and use a funnel going forward.
When you remove the extension be sure it leaves no plastic debris behind. If it does you will need to clean up the debris and change your oil.

When filling the oil:
  • Measure the fill with a hot engine while running.
  • Only fill to the bottom 1/3 of the fill range on the dip stick
  • Make note on the oil fill gauge where it sits for future comparative reference.
  • If you put 10 quarts in you are probably overfilling the engine.
  • No need to disconnect any oil lines or pipes during an oil change, only replace the filters.

Overfilling can make a mess inside the intake and may contribute to clogged air injector ports in the emissions secondary air injector system. For some, it also leaves the impression of excessive oil usage potentially resulting in the faulty conclusion of the need for a top end rebuild due to consumption.
Old 06-14-2018, 09:23 PM
TheBen
Drifting

Received 127 Likes on 95 Posts

What's the part #?
Old 06-15-2018, 01:33 PM
BLT
Instructor

Originally Posted by TheBen
What's the part #?
I'm not sure. If it's called the "bellows" as in the Porsche oil system diagram, then it's 993 207 363 50.

BT
Old 06-15-2018, 01:39 PM
BLT
Instructor

Thanks everyone! I'll get going on a solution based on responses.

Last edited by BLT; 06-15-2018 at 01:48 PM. Reason: Was originally going to close the thread but I can't figure out how to do that.

Quick Reply: Oil Filler Tube Leak