Tiptronic and gearing question

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2016, 04:12 PM
SHAG
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tiptronic and gearing question

Hey all,

I am looking to add a 993 to my stable but have a few questions before I become active in my search. First off, due to a disability I cannot drive a manual transmission so I can only go with a tiptronic. Right now I am used to the 991 PDK transmission so I am a little spoiled.

Is there a way to change the gearing of the 993 C2 to make it feel more like what I am used to in a GT3 in PDK-S mode?

Can I add paddles like the ones in the new 911s and then have the transmission shift at redline or earlier if I use the paddle?

I purchased a 964 a year ago but was really disappointed with how it drove and felt in general so I sold it shortly after and don't want the same to happen with this one. I am not afraid to do some mods that will hurt resale a little.

Thanks,
Sean
Old 03-05-2016, 04:16 PM
SHAG
Racer

I also want to add that this will be a car that will see as much track as it will road time.
Old 03-05-2016, 05:28 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

There are no re-gearing or shift options for the Tiptronic; you simply live with what they are.
Old 03-05-2016, 05:59 PM
hoggel
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by ****
I also want to add that this will be a car that will see as much track as it will road time.
Do you know that the 993 tiptronic has four ratios? It's a marginal track car, essentially two useable ratios on the track.

If you drive the tiptronic in manual mode it will shift up automatically at just less than redline. No paddles but later 993 tiptronics have shift buttons on the steering wheel.
Old 03-05-2016, 06:11 PM
SHAG
Racer

Originally Posted by hoggel
Do you know that the 993 tiptronic has four ratios? It's a marginal track car, essentially two useable ratios on the track. If you drive the tiptronic in manual mode it will shift up automatically at just less than redline. No paddles but later 993 tiptronics have shift buttons on the steering wheel.
Honestly... Despite reading these forums for hours and hours, I don't know sh*t. I know I love the 993 look, sound, and cozy interior. I want a 993 that isn't slow like 964 was. I want a project where I can add suspension, brakes, and remove dead weight. I just can't stand going slow.
Old 03-05-2016, 06:41 PM
johnireland
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

You will in all probability be unhappy in the 993 tiptronic. If you must have one, get the latest version they made, with the shift buttons on the steering wheel...and it is a 4 speed transmission with fewer internal maps for performance driving. However you will not be getting instant activation by just hitting the buttons the way you can with PDK and also with the 996 5 speed version of the tiptronic S (very early ones did not access instantly either but had to be put into manual mode).

At the same time, you can lighten weight and give it suspension mods and that will certainly help it on the track, but it won't be as responsive (and therefore quick) as a manual trans. There is a paddle steering wheel made by an aftermarket company but I don't recommend it. I saw it on a 993 in Canada that I wasa considering. I drive a tiptronic S 996 and I have come to like the buttons better than the paddles because I can go up and down the gears with either hand and that gives me more flexibility in the twisties.

If you did do a track version of your car, keep everything you take off so that someone else can put it back on if you sell the car.

Lastly...for what you are describing, the 993 tip is not the model to play with. Get a beater 996, fix the IMS bearing, strip the interior, and have a very very good track car that will go like a track car with the 5 speed tiptronic. I love the look of the 993 too...but even a dog beater is going to cost twice as much as a 996 in very good condition. For the price of the 993 you could have a track ready 996 plus a complete spare engine sitting in the garage. And you'd go faster.
Old 03-05-2016, 10:02 PM
RL Technical Advisor

JMHO.....

I would not own any M96/M97 engined car for a multitude of reasons; the IMS bearing is just the tip of the iceberg.

Go find a 996TT Tip car. Those have excellent powertrains that are very durable. You'll not have any lack of power (more is available if you need it with a re-map).

Do a suspension upgrade that's commensurate with what you want to do with the car and you will be very pleased with this package.

These offer the best bang-for-the-buck while they are undervalued. One day soon, these will no longer be cheap to acquire.
Old 03-06-2016, 09:14 AM
SHAG
Racer

Thanks for the replies guys. I understand that there are tons on cars I can buy to beat up on track. My main reason for the 993 is because I want a 993. I can track my RS if I really need to get out there.
Old 03-06-2016, 09:37 AM
SHAG
Racer

Could I just keep it in auto mode and reprogram it not to shift until redline?
Old 03-06-2016, 01:54 PM
johnireland
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

If you didn't like the 964 tip you won't like the 993 tip.
Old 03-06-2016, 05:59 PM
RL Technical Advisor

Originally Posted by ****
Could I just keep it in auto mode and reprogram it not to shift until redline?
I am unaware of anyone who can reprogram the 993 Tip.

One can so 996 ones, but the 993 version is different.

Quick Reply: Tiptronic and gearing question