Sponsored by:

1997 993 Carrera 4S

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2016, 07:35 PM
ModQuench
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 5 Posts
Default 1997 993 Carrera 4S

Recently purchased a 1997 Carrera 4S from longtime rennlist and PCA member Dick Beers. He was kind enough to take a phone call after purchase and impart his many years, 18 to be precise, of wisdom with the car. As I purchased the car site unseen from Forman Motorworks in Arizona, I arranged for a PPI. I was thrilled in several phone calls with the PPI mechanic, and quickly learned the car was in excellent shape. He said he would try to talk me out of buying the car, but said the car was so well taken care of, and he was absolutely right.

I took possession of the car last month, but was traveling for work in Asia. I had my local wrench remove the Turbo S rear Aerokit and install the original Carrera S deck lid, notched to accommodate for the TPC supercharger pulley.

I spent a couple hours the other evening reading through the 3 inch binder filled with all of Dick's detailed documentation, invoices, receipts, etc. Each and every service was extremely well documented, the binder even includes the original sticker and sales invoice from 1998 all in excellent shape. It also included all the local charity concours events that Dick attended with his score sheets. It's been incredible to see the history of this car, and I am very much looking forward to continue taking care of it and enjoying it for many years to come.

Since receiving the car, I did a couple of minor aesthetic things:

1. Removed and filled in front bumperettes and respray for the Euro look.
2. Reinstalled original deck lid, sold the Turbo S Aerokit on Rennlist.
3. Removed the front bumper turbo S lip, now just a stock turbo front bumper, sold on Rennslist as well.
4. Installed an advanced keys ignition system with keyless entry and push button start ignition in the car. Comes with some smaller than credit card size key cards that sit in your pocket and some proximity sensors that lock and unlock the car when you're at close distance.

Looking forward to getting to know local PCA members down here in South Florida.

Best,
Elie
Old 02-14-2016, 07:42 PM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,269 Likes on 585 Posts

Welcome Elie - I am new here too, just having purchased, like you did "sight unseen", an enthusiast owned, documented, sorted out, 1998 C2S. I've not even personally seen the car yet but feel 100% confident the car is what it is. The PPI looks awesome and the now previous owner, PCAer Bert Leemberg, like Dick Beers, is an awesome guy. I look forward to meeting him and spending some hours getting the debrief. It' so ike the passing of a torch, a legacy from one PCA member to the next generation. The value of this experience? Priceless.
Enjoy. Pics please.
P

Last edited by Zeus993; 02-15-2016 at 11:54 AM.
Old 02-14-2016, 10:25 PM
993c4_Toronto
Burning Brakes

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Welcome!

I'd like to learn more about item number 4...where is that from?
Old 02-14-2016, 11:25 PM
myflat6
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 123 Posts

Welcome! I have the same car and absolutely love it. There are a lot of great people on Rennlist.
Old 02-15-2016, 11:09 AM
ModQuench
Instructor

Originally Posted by Zeus993
Welcome Elie - I am new here too, just having purchased, like you did "sight unseen", an enthusiast owned, documented, sorted out, 1998 C2S. I've not even personally seen the car yet but feel 100% confident the car is what it is. The PPI looks awesome and the now previous owner, PCAer Bert Leemberg, like Dick Beers, is an awesome guy. I look forward to meeting him and spending some hours getting the debrief. It like the passing of torch, a legacy from one PCA member to the next generation. The value of this experience? Priceless.
Enjoy. Pics please.
P
Glad to hear I"m not alone in the sight unseen purchase process. You must be thrilled for your new addition's impending arrival. I haven't yet taken any pics of the car since purchase, but I'm enclosing some pics of the car as it looked during purchase with bumperettes and prior to removing the turbo S rear aerokit and front spoiler. I have just one shot of the car sleeping peacefully in the garage the other night and one rolling screen shot from a quick iphone video my brother took from his car.

Best,
Elie
Attached Images        
Old 02-15-2016, 11:53 AM
ModQuench
Instructor

Originally Posted by 993c4_Toronto
Welcome!

I'd like to learn more about item number 4...where is that from?
Steven,

The Advanced Keys system is made by a company out of Canada I believe. I ordered it online, and had it installed locally in South Florida by a company called Prestige Cars in Delray Beach, FL. They do a ton of electronic stuff for dealer cars, etc. They had a lot of experience with remote start systems, but had never installed one of these push button ignition systems. I'm thrilled with the results, they did impeccable work.

My goal was not to drill any holes in the dash, so if I ever had to or wanted to revert back to original ignition system it would be reversible. The push button now resides in the home of the original turn key ignition using the original backing plate as a surround.

It essentially operates just as the comfort access system in previous BMWs I've owned with hands-free keyless entry, allowing you to never remove the key card from your pocket. You just walk up to the car, it unlocks, you get in, and you push and hold the start button for a couple seconds until the car starts.

It includes two antenna/proximity sensors that lock and unlock the doors, and key cards that must be on your person in your pocket to allow the push button ignition to start. When you're done, you hold the push button ignition and the car shuts down after about 3 seconds. You walk away and the car locks and arms the alarm all on its own. It ties into the car's OEM alarm system, lights, horn, doors, etc. Security wise, I felt it was incredibly safe as it retains the OEM porsche alarm and it also uses RFID tech as well as rolling-code encryption.

The company was great with answering the phone as well with questions the guys had during install.

Best,
Elie
Attached Images   
Old 02-15-2016, 11:59 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Wow. crazy cool add-on. Very very clean look on the dash (but it's Canadian so what would you expect, right?)

Love that you are taking the car back to original form. I think that's where they looks best and will retain value.
Old 02-15-2016, 12:34 PM
993c4_Toronto
Burning Brakes

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

First time I have seen this key system referred to in Rennlist. What an elegant upgrade. About the same price as replacing a fib from my quick scan of their site.

Thanks for the details. Looks great in your car.
Old 02-15-2016, 12:55 PM
akrca4
Pro

Received 138 Likes on 64 Posts

How does this work with immobilizer?
Old 02-15-2016, 11:00 PM
ModQuench
Instructor

Originally Posted by akrca4
How does this work with immobilizer?
Immobilizer is bypassed, and must be, as the new key cards became the new system. The old keys are now in storage, where they belong. It feels incredibly secure with the redundancy of the RFID and rolling code encryption.

I drove a 993 locally in South Florida, and felt the immobilizer and fobs felt antiquated. From my perspective, this just gives the car that little extra push into modern comfort to allow you to enjoy all the rest of the simple and beautiful elegance inside the car.
Old 02-15-2016, 11:11 PM
gavonder
Rennlist Member

Received 124 Likes on 104 Posts

Very cool. I also bought mine sight unseen from Florida to Connecticut. Great car. Good luck with it.
Old 02-16-2016, 10:09 PM
red67vert
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Intrigued by the idea of passive entry, and pushbutton start in a 993.
Any Detroit members following this thread, can you think of an electronics shop that you would trust to install it?
Old 02-16-2016, 10:16 PM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by red67vert
Intrigued by the idea of passive entry, and pushbutton start in a 993.
Any Detroit members following this thread, can you think of an electronics shop that you would trust to install it?
I was intrigued too. Here's the URL.

http://www.advancedkeys.com/Prod_AK105B.html

The 993 fobs are pretty "old school" and as much as I like preserving the vintage character of the car, this new system looks good.
Old 02-16-2016, 11:01 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 415 Likes on 233 Posts

Welcome to the 993 fold! That key system is quite intriguing.

Andreas
Old 02-16-2016, 11:16 PM
kb
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is exciting. Wondering how this system will compliment ToreB's excellent keyless entry system. I'd be interested in getting the advanced keys system if the techies on Rennlist figure how interface between those two would work out. How are steering wheel lock and stalled engine restart issues addressed?

Last edited by kb; 02-17-2016 at 12:55 AM.

Quick Reply: 1997 993 Carrera 4S