Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do with your 993 today

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2018, 06:14 PM
myflat6
Drifting

Received 192 Likes on 123 Posts

I finally got around to replacing the stone guards on my car. Turned into a bigger job than I planned for but I am thrilled about how it all came out. I used a blow dryer to remove the old guards. It was not as difficult as I expected but it does take some time, so I got a comfortable seat and played some tunes and it was a nice bonding experience with my car - haha. The trick is to apply some heat but not too much. When you apply too much heat, the guards begin to tear into small pieces and the glue is left behind. Luckily I figured this out pretty quickly and was able to remove both sides with very little of the glue left behind. Now the unexpected part. Once I removed the stone guards, I was amazed to see how much brighter the Glacier White was beneath the guards compared to the rest of the paint. My car still wears it's original paint, and it always looked spectacular to me and others. Glacier white is very bright, but I couldn't believe how many shades brighter it should have been. So, I got myself the Griot's car polishing kit and decided to do paint correction for the first time in my life. I started with a clay bar, then correcting polish and finally their best of show wax - using their 6" RO polisher. This was a long and exhausting process. I took my time because I had never done this before and was paranoid that I would burn through or damage the clear coat. I worked on and off for two weeks to get the contaminants out of the paint, but the finished product is amazing. I was able to get the rest of my car's paint to match much more closely to the virgin paint color under the guards and now my car is blindingly white. My car was factory delivered with color matched wheels so this really made a difference helping brighten the white. Back to the stone guards. I decided to replace them with the original Porsche guards. As some of you already know, for a few of the colors Porsche actually used color matched guards instead of clear - Glacier White is one of those colors. They were expensive and are thinner than those from FD and others, but I wanted the factory look. Installing the guards took more time and effort than I expected due to getting air bubbles out, but I followed the instructions I found on Rennlist for the slip spray and alcohol solutions and it worked great. I managed to put a micro tear when I was rubbing out the air bubbles but only I will notice it due to location. The OEM guards are thin!
Here are some photos. The first photo is what the car looked like with the guard removed. Look at the clear color differences! The next photo shows the area after the paint correction so you can see the contaminants were removed and the paint is now crazy bright and is now more closely matched around the car. The final photo is just showing off
Attached Images    

Last edited by myflat6; 01-13-2018 at 06:35 PM.
Old 01-13-2018, 10:36 PM
samurai_k
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 124 Posts

Went for a short afternoon drive with my kids on PCH to Pescadero to break in my new rear suspension and steering.

Old 01-13-2018, 11:17 PM
Tlaloc75
Three Wheelin'

Received 147 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by samurai_k
Went for a short afternoon drive with my kids on PCH to Pescadero to break in my new rear suspension and steering.

How did it drive?
Old 01-14-2018, 01:13 AM
samurai_k
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 124 Posts

Great! It is now about a few hundred miles post the install and the harshness and vibration has softened into a smoother ride. Today was a highway cruise up and down hills so the best part was going through the gears and making the motor come to life with the RS motor mounts, SSK/Golden Rod, and Fister 3s. They complement each other so well. Loved it and my daughters in the back jump seats did too!
Old 01-21-2018, 10:19 PM
806N4NN0
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Took advantage of the warmer weather to apply a decal to the rear spoiler wall.

Forum member hooked me up.

Old 01-22-2018, 12:57 AM
jj99c2
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Put on a few new mods:
  • 996 3 Spoke Wheel that I had recovered in Alcantara / red stitching by Dallas Custom Wheels - Great upgrade for me, I really like the feel of the wheel.
  • Function First Shifter - Surprised how big an upgrade this was as it really improved shift feel (I already had a goldenrod installed)
  • RS Motor Mounts - I did not sense any additional vibration, but it did improve the 1-2 shift under full throttle
All the mods were easy installs thanks to the great instructions posted on RL!

Old 01-22-2018, 07:51 AM
tuto993
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by myflat6
I finally got around to replacing the stone guards on my car. Turned into a bigger job than I planned for but I am thrilled about how it all came out. I used a blow dryer to remove the old guards. It was not as difficult as I expected but it does take some time, so I got a comfortable seat and played some tunes and it was a nice bonding experience with my car - haha. The trick is to apply some heat but not too much. When you apply too much heat, the guards begin to tear into small pieces and the glue is left behind. Luckily I figured this out pretty quickly and was able to remove both sides with very little of the glue left behind. Now the unexpected part. Once I removed the stone guards, I was amazed to see how much brighter the Glacier White was beneath the guards compared to the rest of the paint. My car still wears it's original paint, and it always looked spectacular to me and others. Glacier white is very bright, but I couldn't believe how many shades brighter it should have been. So, I got myself the Griot's car polishing kit and decided to do paint correction for the first time in my life. I started with a clay bar, then correcting polish and finally their best of show wax - using their 6" RO polisher. This was a long and exhausting process. I took my time because I had never done this before and was paranoid that I would burn through or damage the clear coat. I worked on and off for two weeks to get the contaminants out of the paint, but the finished product is amazing. I was able to get the rest of my car's paint to match much more closely to the virgin paint color under the guards and now my car is blindingly white. My car was factory delivered with color matched wheels so this really made a difference helping brighten the white. Back to the stone guards. I decided to replace them with the original Porsche guards. As some of you already know, for a few of the colors Porsche actually used color matched guards instead of clear - Glacier White is one of those colors. They were expensive and are thinner than those from FD and others, but I wanted the factory look. Installing the guards took more time and effort than I expected due to getting air bubbles out, but I followed the instructions I found on Rennlist for the slip spray and alcohol solutions and it worked great. I managed to put a micro tear when I was rubbing out the air bubbles but only I will notice it due to location. The OEM guards are thin!
Here are some photos. The first photo is what the car looked like with the guard removed. Look at the clear color differences! The next photo shows the area after the paint correction so you can see the contaminants were removed and the paint is now crazy bright and is now more closely matched around the car. The final photo is just showing off
I'm not a fan of white sports car... your car is one of the most beautiful 993's I've seen. I think it's the wheels. Don't ever change them!
Enjoy.
Old 01-22-2018, 09:53 AM
Gbos1
Rennlist Member

Received 774 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by myflat6
God those wheels must be hard to keep clean! Looks awesome!
Old 01-27-2018, 11:32 AM
polaris 993 sport
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Lunch

lunch and a very fast drive in winter.
desi always gets a nice run all year..yes even winter in Sweden!
Old 01-27-2018, 11:36 AM
polaris 993 sport
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Ice and snow

the other week I went out in a stom and as pulled over by the cops.
snowing and very icy.....
The officer thought I must be drunk to take out a nice vintage Porsche.
Explained it has been the norm for Desi for over eight years.
he was impressed and confused. Need I say more!
This never happened in Hawaii!
Old 01-27-2018, 11:49 AM
Tlaloc75
Three Wheelin'

Received 147 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by polaris 993 sport
the other week I went out in a stom and as pulled over by the cops.
snowing and very icy.....
The officer thought I must be drunk to take out a nice vintage Porsche.
Explained it has been the norm for Desi for over eight years.
he was impressed and confused. Need I say more!
This never happened in Hawaii!
Any pics? 993s look cool in the snow.
Old 01-28-2018, 06:53 PM
GBX
Rennlist Member

Received 269 Likes on 125 Posts

Took advantage of the “nicer” weather and took her for a spin. Had to replace my DME relay to get it started but man do I love this car!!!

best advise ever for a 993/964, keep a spare DME relay in the car at all times!!!
Old 01-29-2018, 06:01 AM
eloyex
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Beautiful !!!!! Always love yellow 911's ..................
Old 01-29-2018, 06:14 AM
eloyex
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

much nicer radio !! looks legit now !!!!!
Old 01-30-2018, 10:50 PM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 964 Likes on 588 Posts

Planned its summer trip today- registered for the Parade- must have waited a little too long as almost all the rooms at tan-tara were already gone...

Went to the Parade at tan-tara back in '83 with my then new 944... taking the 993 with my son this time. (My wife was pregnant with him at the previous tan-tara Parade!!)

Other than the humidity, it should be a fun time...

Quick Reply: What did you do with your 993 today