Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying RUF 993 (long), Any Advices? (3 pics)

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2003, 01:52 AM
CP
Race Director

Received 334 Likes on 239 Posts
Default Buying RUF 993 (long), Any Advices? (3 pics)

Hi,

Info. on this car from the owner. Any thoughts on this? Pics to follow shortly. Thanks.

CP

RUF 993 BTR-2
Car is a 1995 U.S. spec. C2, black/black. RUF BTR (class B, single Turbo RUF) conversion performed in August 2000. All work by the RUF Company in Germany. Since the conversion, the car has traveled about 25,000 miles.

ENGINE
When RUF did the BTR conversion, the engine was taken out, torn down and completely rebuilt according to their specifications. Warn parts, including all bearings, were replaced. The connecting rods were replaced with titanium ones for strength and reliability and are free-revving, resulting in less weight and less stress on the block. Maximum boost = 1 bar. Car has a second oil cooler at front left tower brace. Motronics ECU, high-flow injectors, special RUF free-flow metal cat exhaust, RUF intake plenum and K&N filter, RUF wiring harness.

Motor produces 426 HP with a single turbo as in the 965 turbo. Torque is 435 ft. lbs (590 NM). Compression is reduced to 8.4:1. Car weights less than 3,000 lbs with some light-weight components. (flywheel, seats, wheels, etc.) That’s an incredible 7 lbs/hp. Virtually no turbo lag, this is the genius of RUF cars. 0-60 time about 3.7 seconds, top speed between 192 and 196 MPH (RUF spec. is 308 km/hr, 192 mph.)

TRANSMISSION
RUF 6 speed transmission with longer 5th and 6th gears for higher top speed. Lightweight flywheel, heavy duty RS clutch, and a heavy duty pressure plate to handle the immense torque. Rear wheel drive, automatic Brake Differential, (ABD) ABS and limited slip differential. Short shifter, and RUF steering rack.

SUSPENSION & BODY WORK
RUF-lowered (30mm) suspension with RUF springs and Bilstein shocks. RUF sway bars, new front end RS bushings, tie-rod ends, ball joints and A-arms. 993 RS side skirts and front corner spoilers with Tech-Art grill insert. Turbo-S rear spoiler. Polished RUF exhaust pipes with RUF inscriptions.

BRAKES, WHEELS AND TIRES
RUF Turbo brakes (322 mm), stainless steel brake lines, RUF logo calipers.
RUF 18" light-weight racing wheels by OZ, painted body color (metallic black), center caps with RUF logo in gold. Anodized aluminum wheel spacers (5mm). Like new Bridgestone S-03 Pole position tires: 235-40/ZR 18 front and 265-35ZR/18 rear. 285-35ZR/18 can be used also. Rear fenders flared slightly to accommodate the wider tires.

ADDITIONAL GOODIES
The car has a 14" 3-spoke Atiwa sport steering wheel. Recaro (A-8) water buffalo hide seats. These seats are available in Europe in the GT2 and GT3 as a Porsche option, but not available in the States. Removable 4-point Schroth racing belts. RUF Aluminum pedals. Tear-drop shaped carbon-fiber sport mirrors, aerodynamic A-pillar inserts to reduce air drag. Deluxe Blaupunkt CD Radio, 10 speakers. Sunroof, A/C, stainless steel threshold plates. Taller top gears, aero body work, light-weight components, and narrow-body style result in higher top-speed than spec.

One original owner, accident, ding and dent free, US title and certificate of origin. Serviced by RUF, 30,000 miles service just performed
Old 10-02-2003, 01:55 AM
Suwipin
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

CP,

Here are your pics:

Old 10-02-2003, 01:57 AM
CP
Race Director

Pin,

Mucho thanks.

CP
Old 10-02-2003, 02:37 AM
Jim
Addict
Rennlist Member

Mucho buy it! Replace the "gold" parts, put on some bigger rear tires, lower it some more and drive the wheels off of it. (You also may want to re-gear it for American roads, as it is set up for the Autobahn...)
Old 10-02-2003, 02:43 AM
Suwipin
Three Wheelin'

CP, you're very welcome.

Btw I'm in total agreement with Jim

So does that mean we'll get to see this RUF car in our next BAR drive, CP?
Old 10-02-2003, 03:09 AM
CP
Race Director

Jim,

I believe the 'gold' parts came as a RUF package. The outside RUF logos (front, and rear), dash bezels, counsel plates, and RUF floor mat logos all came in the same color.

Pin,
This is subject to PPI still. When is the next BAR drive?

CP
Old 10-02-2003, 03:16 AM
Phil
Phlat Black Guru
Rennlist
Lifetime Member
- Times 2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice, I really like the black on black on black look!
Why regear for the usa roads? I am pretty sure most, or at least a few of us "usa" guys regear for euro roads????
Old 10-02-2003, 09:30 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Nice!

I don't like the gold parts either but since they came with that RUF package originally, I'd keep them as is.

I wouldn't re-gear either. This thing has enough "tilt" with the gears it has now and who knows, little trip to Arizona where they have these open road things and you might find the 6th gear really useful!
Old 10-02-2003, 10:53 AM
OPTIMO
Instructor

Holy crap that's a beautiful car.
Old 10-02-2003, 12:59 PM
CP
Race Director

When I first saw the gold bezels, I thought it was a little gaudy. I ask the owner and he explained the Ruf color package. I also realize that black-on-black is very 'uniform' color-wise. It is also quite common. This is a unique car, and this gold touch adds to it's uniqueness. It actually is growing on me now, especailly realizing that the color is co-ordinated on different parts of the car.

As for the gearing. While I do not race (street or track) but I gather most races will be over with if I run out of fourth gear in a RUF. Thus taller 5th and 6th gear won't hurt much. In addition, with two oil coolers and titanium innerds and one-bar boost, this car is ready for higher boost and thus more power. In that case, the taller top gears will mean evev higher top speed, which is fine by me.

I'm not thinking of modding the car. With my local traffic, I can't use the 426 hp as is. This is a weekend car for the country/twisty roads, so more hp does not add up to more fun. But in case someone else wants more, it's ready for it.

Thanks for your kind words thus far.

CP
Old 10-02-2003, 01:08 PM
CP
Race Director

Kim,

When the car gets here, I gather I'd see you, Mooty, Pin, in other words, my fearless leaders, sometimes.

CP
Old 10-02-2003, 01:16 PM
ApexL8
Burning Brakes

Any more pictures of those seats available?
Old 10-02-2003, 01:45 PM
CP
Race Director

Chuck,

I have regular photos, but not digital images. Sorry for now. When the car gets here, I'll post an album with all the revelent shots.

The seat is black plastic shell with black buffalo hide fronts. The seat back has the Recaro logo with the 'A-8" model on it. There are eyelets for the four-point belts. Very pronounced shoulder bolsters. My friend (used to race Porsches) helped my test-drive the car, and said the seats are exactly what this car should have.

CP
Old 10-02-2003, 06:03 PM
GTR 993
Burning Brakes

I love that car..........need I say more. If you get tired of it please email me. I am in the market for a similar car. Good Luck you lucky sob lol
Old 10-02-2003, 07:23 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,631 Likes on 2,314 Posts

cp, when car here?
can't wait to see it.
we can do the drive again like we did last time.

Quick Reply: Buying RUF 993 (long), Any Advices? (3 pics)