Sponsored by:

Stolen 993 SoCal

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2016, 02:33 PM
KNS
Three Wheelin'

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by 911F1
The thieves most likely stole his garage signal/code when the garage was opened and closed. I don't like randoms in my neighborhood looking in my garage when I have it open. They can tell a shady cousin what I have in inside. Not much we can do to hide them. Our garages aren't fort knox. Good insurance coverage is the only thing piece of mind we have. I think the stolen cars go over seas to markets that never originally had these cars when new.
I hate people looking in my garage when its open. I've had tools stolen from my garage many years ago so perhaps I'm a little paranoid. If I don't need to have the garage open then the door stays closed. If the P car is relatively clean then I throw a sheet over it so it just looks like "some car" in there.
Old 01-05-2016, 03:25 PM
doublecabmel
Three Wheelin'

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

man, these threads really make my blood boil. I live in So Cal and I am extremely cautious with my rare air Porsches and VWs. I really would like to setup a sting operation with one of my cars and exercise my 2nd amendment right to make the world safer for our cars. In fact, I'm sure there are many others who would love to be part of taking down one of these bastards. Problem being, is I live in CA and would most likely be thrown in jail and having the key thrown away while I get sued by the thief.
Old 01-05-2016, 03:32 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,091 Posts

No, they did not steal a code. The area this guy lives is a super quiet suburb, a nice area, looks like an attached garage on the front of the house. Typical sort of orange county house/town home. Thieves grabbed the emergency release with a coat hanger, slid the garage door open, grabbed the porsche. I can bet the car was towed or driven off in a matter of seconds with minimal noise. Clearly it was targeted. And given LA has one of the biggest ports in the world very likely on a ship somewhere or being cut up for parts.

How to prevent?
block off / tie up emergency release
ensure you have a tight seal on top of door, black out windows in garage
lock the door with a bolt
alarm on the door

Bottom line is if a thief wants it, a thief is going to get it.
Old 01-05-2016, 03:42 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by doublecabmel
I really would like to setup a sting operation with one of my cars and exercise my 2nd amendment right to make the world safer for our cars.
You've been watching too many movies, Clint.
Old 01-05-2016, 04:43 PM
KNS
Three Wheelin'

I hope it is recovered but....

Keep your eyes open for "993 parts for sale". There was a rash of air cooled 911 thefts in Phoenix a couple of years ago, they caught the guy and he went to prison for grand theft. He was selling used Porsche parts on Pelican and here on Rennlist.
Old 01-05-2016, 05:53 PM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by KNS
I hope it is recovered but....

Keep your eyes open for "993 parts for sale". There was a rash of air cooled 911 thefts in Phoenix a couple of years ago, they caught the guy and he went to prison for grand theft. He was selling used Porsche parts on Pelican and here on Rennlist.
Kurt,
Do you happen to remember his screen name?
Old 01-05-2016, 06:25 PM
KNS
Three Wheelin'

^^

He sold parts under various names:

Bluemotors
Classico911
Rs911s
Jupiter930
lcl1492
Dennis911
Mobile 1

I hope nobody here bought parts from the above. Again, this was a couple of years ago.
Old 01-05-2016, 06:53 PM
911F1
Rennlist Member

Received 321 Likes on 196 Posts

On the other side of the pond a 993 was just stolen as well. This is becoming a bit crazy.

http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=108735

Edit: They recovered it with a tracker. Sometimes they return!
Old 01-05-2016, 08:04 PM
luft
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default 993 stolen

i do not believe stolen cars can be exported as US Customs are determent looking at the paperwork and check them physical before export is approved for sure. Sadly its the parts they after and cutting / slicing them as its nothing for them.
The low lifes did not work hard for it as we do. Please hang them, prison is to liberal and to short.
Old 01-05-2016, 08:09 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,091 Posts

Originally Posted by luft
i do not believe stolen cars can be exported as US Customs are determent looking at the paperwork and check them physical before export is approved for sure. Sadly its the parts they after and cutting / slicing them as its nothing for them.
The low lifes did not work hard for it as we do. Please hang them, prison is to liberal and to short.
trust me they get exported AND cut up. not every container gets physically inspected. people get paid off... where there is a will there is a way.
Old 01-05-2016, 08:18 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by mcipseric
After emailing with the owner of the stolen car, learned that the thieves, used the wire hanger method.

Also, if you have widows in your garage doors, do something to obscure viewing into your garage.
Did this to my garage as soon as I learned of the remedy years ago.

Originally Posted by 993Mpls
I have opaque contact paper over some of my garage windows. For the windows above my workbench, where sometimes I want more natural light, I found some plexiglass, cut it to size so that it can lean against the window, and then scuffed it up good with an orbital sander. Can't see in from the outside when it's in place, and easy to move when I want to.
Excellent idea. I have cheap, plastic blinds on my windows.

Originally Posted by OverBoosted28
Don't have pics available, but a really easy "hurdle" is to get a big padlock, drill correct diameter hole for ease of use, and put it in one of the channels of your roll up door. Just above one of the wheels. It's not an absolute, but will prevent door from being rolled up w/o using enough force to break the wheel out of its hinge on door. It would require a lot of force, which in turn is a lot of noise. They will most likely move on, instead of molesting the door and bring attention to themselves. Even a "U" shaped bolt (exhaust clamp style) would be better than nothing.
Another great idea. I often throw the garage latch (that needs to be hammered into place), but a big padlock makes a lot more sense. I've been thinking of this lock (http://www.onguardlock.com/store/beast-padlock-8101) to secure my pressure washer and think it would also dissuade a lot of thieves who might want to try and lift my garage door.
Old 01-05-2016, 08:59 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

These stories always bum me out. Seems an inordinate amount of this happens in SoCal. Lots of scumbaggery around and a lot of really nice cars to pick from. 911f1 is right. Could have been any soulless POS saying that they saw a really nice porsh. Heck...Been to cars and coffee lately?

Sorry for your loss. She was a beauty.
Old 01-05-2016, 11:04 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

Well this sucks, and they certainly were ballsy in that neighborhood.

As to agreed valuation, there is no excuse not to have it. it was easy before Hagerty did anything about posting values. I've raised mine twice in the last couple of years. No questions asked.
Old 01-06-2016, 12:12 AM
windydog
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Sorry for you loss. At the expense of someone elses grief i have learned something new.

IMHO, CA is way to easy on thief. My buddies mom is a high ranking LAPD and because of recent changes in the law, we are all screwed.

I will not miss CA one bit when i move out.

Japan is looking mighty nice.
Old 01-06-2016, 05:48 PM
PelicanParts.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 34 Likes on 19 Posts

Would like to share on our community to help spread the word. Any contact info that we can share to the community? We will keep our eyes open for postings on our forum as well.
888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST

Quick Reply: Stolen 993 SoCal