Sponsored by:

Stolen 993 SoCal

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2016, 10:26 PM
red67vert
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

There is no feeling, worse than standing in the spot where your "pride and joy"
was parked, and knowing you'll probably never see it again. Back in "89, I had my nicely massaged "88 Monte SS stolen from my parking spot at the office. So my heart goes out to you, hopefully your covered, but........
Old 01-06-2016, 10:50 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

Ummm.... Eric is posting the stolen info for a friend. It wasn't his car that was nicked.
Old 01-07-2016, 01:54 AM
MarinS4
Rennlist Member

Received 169 Likes on 122 Posts

Bummer to hear about the loss. After seeing the video I modified my garage door. I was shocked at how easy it would have been for a thief to release it like that. Problem solved!
Old 01-07-2016, 06:28 AM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Other possible (easy) measures are a motion light on the front of the garage along with a motion alarm that you know about and can disarm in 5 seconds, but an unsuspecting thief won't. If it's the middle of the night and the lights go on and an alarm sounds, it may be likely they turn and run.

Dummy (or real) video camera, maybe even one with a blinking red light, is another inexpensive deterrent.
Old 01-07-2016, 06:43 AM
Holytin
Pro

Received 26 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
Ummm.... Eric is posting the stolen info for a friend. It wasn't his car that was nicked.
And...?
Old 01-07-2016, 07:26 AM
ble2011
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

Sorry for your friends loss. I had a 70 chevelle SS stolen at Six Flags when I was 18. Nothing like looking at the empty spot where you know you left it parked.
Old 01-07-2016, 04:26 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Holytin
And...?
Sorry, several instances of "sorry for your loss" means they didn't take the 30 seconds to read and comprehend the first post.
Old 01-07-2016, 05:03 PM
KNS
Three Wheelin'

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by MarinS4
Bummer to hear about the loss. After seeing the video I modified my garage door. I was shocked at how easy it would have been for a thief to release it like that. Problem solved!
I just did the garage door "mod" as well.
Old 01-07-2016, 06:33 PM
Holytin
Pro

Received 26 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
Sorry, several instances of "sorry for your loss" means they didn't take the 30 seconds to read and comprehend the first post.
Understood but a stolen 993 is still a stolen 993 regardless.
Old 01-07-2016, 11:02 PM
FLYT993
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by RonCT
When our cars were worth half what they are now, and one could easily find a replacement, we all didn't think about it that much. Ironically, I was never concerned when I had a new 997.1, GT3, or 997.2. Felt it was just a car, you can still order one, state of the art theft prevention, etc.

I know I've been lulled a bit by the relatively low maintenance, property tax, and insurance costs of my 993. Almost feels "cheap" compared with the enjoyment I get from it. So in the New Year I'll "pony up" and do a few things:
1. Increase the agreed value (easy now that Hagerty has 97-98 C2S listed).
2. No longer beef about the Immobilizer or the anti-theft lugs.
3. Park with the wheel turned, even in the garage.
4. Beef up garage door security measures, add a few more security system signs / stickers (especially where a thief would see), etc.
5. Consider a "Boot" ($52 Amazon TriMax Boot). That should make it more difficult to roll / flat bed.

#3 takes 5 seconds and #5 maybe 2 minutes before / after a drive, so not too bad.
i think these pros are jacking the cars up and putting them on "skates" (similar to a furniture dolly) and just rolling them away, onto a flatbed, U-Haul, or whatever. how do you stop THAT??? i've had two cars stolen, so i know the infuriating, violated, helpless, despondent, and blind rage one experiences when this happens.
Old 01-08-2016, 06:23 PM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Received 547 Likes on 399 Posts

Originally Posted by FLYT993
i think these pros are jacking the cars up and putting them on "skates" (similar to a furniture dolly) and just rolling them away, onto a flatbed, U-Haul, or whatever. how do you stop THAT??? i've had two cars stolen, so i know the infuriating, violated, helpless, despondent, and blind rage one experiences when this happens.
+993. Lots of good preventative measures here (the garage door video was an eye opener for me), but if the pros really want it they're going to get it whether you turn the wheel or not.

No affiliation, but I'm seriously considering installing LoJack in both my 993's. If more of us do the same, my guess is that we could all take a collective bite out of some of these crime rings. And with a reported 90% recovery rate, there's a very good chance of reclaiming your car. LoJack is limited geographically, but they have a robust presence on both coasts and can track cars in storage containers like the ones being used to ship our 993's overseas. http://www.lojack.com/Buy-LoJack-Pro...Check-Coverage

Interested to know of people's experiences good or bad with LoJack. Not cheap, but might be worth the peace of mind.
Old 01-08-2016, 09:16 PM
serval
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 26 Posts

^^^^

Here's my low cost LoJack solution in our family we end with
Sat generation phones (android and iPhones just cluttering drawers. I have wired two of them in the C2 and the Exige so they are permanently on. Both phones are strategically hidden and I check them once a month to make sure they still work. Cost is minimal as a family plan addition, and should my car ever get stolen I have very similar functionality to a LoJack for a lot cheaper. for fun I check in them when at the movies, restaurant or out shopping. Works perfectly.
Old 01-08-2016, 10:58 PM
F18drvr
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by serval
^^^^

Sat generation phones (android and iPhones just cluttering drawers. I have wired two of them in the C2 and the Exige so they are permanently on. Both phones are strategically hidden and I check them once a month to make sure they still work. Cost is minimal as a family plan addition, and should my car ever get stolen I have very similar functionality to a LoJack for a lot cheaper. for fun I check in them when at the movies, restaurant or out shopping. Works perfectly.
^^^

Care to share your technique for installation?
Old 01-08-2016, 11:44 PM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by serval
^^^^

Smart idea!
Old 01-09-2016, 09:40 AM
cfxgj
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry for the loss, I hope you get it back. I look forward to the story that ends with, "the intruders were shot in the *** with buck shot and the local police followed the trail of blood and tears to make the arrest".

Quick Reply: Stolen 993 SoCal