993 Forum 1995-1998

Flashing immobiliser warning light while driving

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2003, 01:31 PM
graham_mitchell
Banned

Received 442 Likes on 241 Posts
Question Flashing immobiliser warning light while driving

While driving today, I noticed that the immobiliser icon of the dashboard was flashing. I have never seen this before. Concerned that my engine was about to become immobilized while in traffic, I pulled over and shut the engine off. When I restarted everything was back to normal.

Does the flashing symbol indicate anything in particular or was the flashing a fault in itself?
Old 10-01-2003, 02:22 PM
Robin 993DX
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Graham,

I did notice that light flash on me on my car when I erase and resetted all the stored error code in the DME with my laptop OBD-2 reader. But that's the only time when it did that.
Old 10-01-2003, 06:22 PM
jda407
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I've had mine flash on occasion too. Had the exact same characteristics...flashed until turned car off and on again....stopped flashing.
Very curious if anyone has solution.
Jim
Old 10-02-2003, 12:06 AM
Chipset
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How timely. I was driving to the airport yesterday and noticed the same thing. I was going to ask about it, but someone beat me to it!
Old 02-14-2007, 06:57 PM
DaveGordon
Pro

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

Hi,

Resurrecting an old thread here, but does anyone know what this means? Happened to me today..

Cheers,
Dave.
Old 02-14-2007, 07:17 PM
centerpunch
Rennlist Member

Received 270 Likes on 123 Posts

Page 18 of my '96 owner's manual says:

Warning light flashes after the ignition has been switched on:

immobilizer failure

The cause of the fault must be rectified by an authorized Porsche dealer.
Old 02-15-2007, 12:58 AM
Felix
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I had this happen when I tried an ECU that had the factory drive block disabled. When I put the original ECU back in all was fine. Seems like one condition is when the alarm system can't see what it's expecting to see from the ECU.
Old 03-21-2007, 02:56 AM
Alan993S
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question

This flashing immobiliser light while driving happened to me on the weekend as I pulled out of the parking lot. Like Graham, fearing the car would experience a lock-down in traffic, I stopped immediately and turned off the engine. I switched the immobiliser on, then off, and the problem seemed to rectify itself.

Did a search and came up with this thread. but unfortunately no solutions offered. Perhaps the immobiliser just needed to be reset(?)

cheers
Old 03-21-2007, 07:02 AM
silverporsche993
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have had it happen occasionally too. seems to get out sinc and works perfectly next time i start the car-- nothing to worry about
Old 03-21-2007, 08:46 AM
jimbo3
Rennlist Member

Received 656 Likes on 387 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan993S
This flashing immobiliser light while driving happened to me on the weekend as I pulled out of the parking lot. Like Graham, fearing the car would experience a lock-down in traffic, I stopped immediately and turned off the engine. I switched the immobiliser on, then off, and the problem seemed to rectify itself.
This might be a stupid question, but how does one switch the immobilizer on and off? I thought it goes on automatically when one pulls the key out and turns off by way of the fob.

-Jim
Old 03-21-2007, 05:13 PM
Felix
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

It's turned off when the car is unlocked with the remote. It's turned on when the car is locked with the remote. It also rearms automatically in 2 minutes or so if the car is unlocked but the driver's door isn't opened. And it rearms about 2 minutes after the ignition is switched off. Not sure if the key needs to be removed or not.
Old 03-21-2007, 05:31 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by phelix
It's turned off when the car is unlocked with the remote. It's turned on when the car is locked with the remote. It also rearms automatically in 2 minutes or so if the car is unlocked but the driver's door isn't opened. And it rearms about 2 minutes after the ignition is switched off. Not sure if the key needs to be removed or not.
...and its the stupidest alarm system in the world....its so irritating to have to hit the fob again when the car has been sitting for more than 2 minutes...I just hate the system, I think some engineer had "drive block" on the brain then he thought of this!!

But for the original thread I too have seen this and its has exactly what everyone else is saying, shutting down the car resets the condition. Activating the key fob when running does nothing. Its pretty weird all right!!

Cheers,

Mike
Old 03-21-2007, 11:27 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 79 Likes on 60 Posts

Glad I am not alone on this, it happened to me last friday, flashed after startup until I shut down, locked car, unlocked, hasn't gone on again.
Old 10-10-2008, 04:26 PM
autobonrun
Rennlist Member

Received 405 Likes on 256 Posts
Default Resurrecting an old thread.

My car pulled this stunt yesterday. While driving on a side street, the immobilizer indicator light suddenly started flashing. There was no problem continuing to drive the car home. When I started it again the flashing light was gone and so far has not returned.

The only thing I've noticed over the last month is that it can be difficult to start after I start it the first time. Right before the light started flashing, I did notice that the car did not want to start first time like it always does. It made a sound almost like the starter was slipping. When the immobilizer is engaged it doesn't make any sound at all.

Does anyone know physically what is the immobilizer? Is it software in the ECU chip, a separate chip, or a separate device? How much am I looking at if I have to replace mine?
Old 12-09-2008, 05:07 PM
s2racer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

i had this happen last night. as i was backing out, let the clutch slip a little quickly, but caught it. that's when the immobilizer light started flashing. it may have something to do if the engine thinks it's died and restarted. mine reset after i got home and restarted the car.

Quick Reply: Flashing immobiliser warning light while driving