Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flashing immobiliser warning light while driving

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2008, 07:54 PM
Pan58
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have had this also happen seems to work correctly after you shut the car off and turn it back on again
Old 12-09-2008, 08:42 PM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

Received 458 Likes on 286 Posts

I believe the IMMOBILIZER is housed in a unit under the driver's seat with a metal plate over it. Many threads on this system will explain that it's tied into so many devices on the car that it's virtually impossible to defeat unless you want to strip your car and go to something like MOTEC. The flashing indicator may be trying to warn of a faulty ground in one of the monitored systems. I experienced a similar problem when I removed my radio and stupidly grounded the green signal wire to the DIN chassis when I should've left it isolated. The IMMOBILIZER was trying to tell me that someone had stolen the radio! Has ne1 checked to see if their ECU throws a code?
Old 01-31-2009, 09:26 PM
slapshot
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Well, now I join the club! That is some scary fun! 3/4s of the way up lovely Topanga canyon to pick up my daughter from horse riding school, the light starts blinking. Rather than worry about it shutting down on me while driving, I was worried about the exact opposite - that if I did shut it down way up in the canyon, then my next step would be thumbing a ride back down the canyon to get in a mobile signal worthy area (nothing in the canyon) and calling a flatbed. So . . . I went to my daughter's riding center and had to leave the car running while I went to find her. Let's just say, dozens of horses, ongoing classes, and a multitude of instructors did not for a second appreciate the Supercups in idle while I scoured acres frantically trying to find my little girl, all the while praying the car would not die. Imagine . . . racer boy thinks he's so cool, he has to let his obnoxious Porsche run so "everyone" can hear him. Uggg. . . very humbling indeed, let me tell you.

The only good thing is after I backed it into the garage, expecting to have to call that flatbed, after a click and a click of the FOB, the flashing stopped and the car works fine. So, a happy ending. Does not instill much confidence however, especially as nobody has been able to determine the cause.
Old 01-31-2009, 09:58 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 70 Likes on 58 Posts

I do not think there have been any reports of this actually stopping the car in mid stride, or failing to start the car after it has been turned off. That being said, it makes sense that, if you are way out in the boonies, that you be cautious until you can get to a good place to shut it down. Other rennlisters sometimes do the opposite of you, where they shut down the car right away and restart to clear the light...

Cheers,

Mike
Old 03-11-2011, 02:51 PM
vincer77
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Drove my car last night and after starting up, I noticed the immobilizer warning light on the dash was blinking. Looked in the owners manual and the flashing light indicates a problem that the dealer needs to correct - great.

Not wanting to get stuck somewhere, I stopped and restarted the car in the garage, and the light was no longer flashing. So I decided to drive it without incident.

Found this thread after doing a search. Since the topic does not appear to have been discussed recently, thought it would be valuable to bump for the noobs.
Old 03-11-2011, 03:39 PM
J.B.H.
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine did the same thing...Hmmm...might have something to do with the Mayan Calendar
Old 03-11-2011, 03:45 PM
deadhead1960
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's a reminder to move your clock ahead one hour this weekend
Old 03-11-2011, 03:55 PM
J.B.H.
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by deadhead1960
Old 03-11-2011, 07:04 PM
vincer77
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by deadhead1960
Gotta love that German engineering!
Old 12-18-2017, 02:23 PM
CG901
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 3 Posts

My immobilizer light always blinks when I drive. I was told the only solution is to remove the light bulb. The DME was flashed by Todd at Protomotive and I was told this is the only way to eliminate the warning light.
Old 12-18-2017, 06:39 PM
Carlos993
Rennlist Member

Received 371 Likes on 101 Posts

Same here. All my cars with flashed ECUs and immobiliser disable through ecu always flash the dash warning light, unless the bulb is removed. No actual issues while driving, however.
Old 12-21-2017, 05:51 AM
Railmaster.
Three Wheelin'

Received 108 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike J
...and its the stupidest alarm system in the world....its so irritating to have to hit the fob again when the car has been sitting for more than 2 minutes...I just hate the system, I think some engineer had "drive block" on the brain then he thought of this!!

But for the original thread I too have seen this and its has exactly what everyone else is saying, shutting down the car resets the condition. Activating the key fob when running does nothing. Its pretty weird all right!!

Cheers,

Mike
That's just ONE of the reasons that makes the 1994 993s the best! Just a plain key, no hassle!
Old 12-21-2017, 10:30 AM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,503 Likes on 1,063 Posts

My experience with cars where the electrical system presents lots of opportunities to introduce electrical noise into embedded computer controlled devices is sometimes an errant light on a non-engine related system is best to not get too concerned. I had a VW once that required an occasional battery disconnection / reconnection of the battery to resolve.
Old 12-21-2017, 06:28 PM
becker - 97'C4S
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default I had it & my problem was the battery

In my case it'd come on/off here&there for a few days, this happened a bit over a year ago
I did have the light going low on the remote so that was my fault

Of course one cold day I go and it wouldn't unlock and the little red light would barely come on. Of course everybody was busy
and I had to go somewhere in a couple of hours, there was a Giant some blocks down they didn't have it, half a block there was
a gas station they didn't have it either, somebody really helpful at the gas station took me to the closest Home Depot
another few more blocks and they had the battery, so I just walked back as walking is very good, just called I may be late
swapped the battery and it was all good never had the light on the dash to come on again over a year now, but I do
keep a spare handy just in case. I did have a spare but it was on the globe compartment

Cheers

Becker

Quick Reply: Flashing immobiliser warning light while driving