Sponsored by:

Headlight woes

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2015, 03:36 AM
oldman40
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Headlight woes

Did the simple diy of changing my headlight lenses, no problem, easy peasy, right? Had the litronic ballast and ignitor replaced by mechanic about a year ago fyi with no issues.

Except that when I put them back in, lights are not working!

Tried a few times to reseat the lights, but no improvement. Seems to slide in pretty effortlessly, and locks down with just the usual slight resistance as you turn the lever down. What the heck did I do wrong?

Any help appreciated! Thanks.
Old 12-28-2015, 05:31 AM
quacktoduck
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Are the headlights fully seated back into the fenders? Could be an internal connection under the cover.
Old 12-28-2015, 06:29 AM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 415 Likes on 233 Posts

The headlight harness connector inside the fender is rather loosely captured in a plastic bracket. If this connector is not aligned properly, the headlight will push it rearward rather than mating. Take a look and you'll see that it has play within its bracket.

Andreas
Old 12-28-2015, 10:14 AM
Kein_Ersatz
Rennlist Member

Received 252 Likes on 177 Posts

To see if you making the connection or not, could try putting a sliver of tape across the center of the headlight plug end and see if it is punctured/scuffed or not when you put it in and then pull it out. Intact tape would mean you are missing the connection.
Old 12-28-2015, 11:09 AM
P-daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 466 Likes on 279 Posts

Pull the wheel and fender liner to see if you have a good connection once headlight bucket is fully seated.
Old 12-28-2015, 12:07 PM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Received 547 Likes on 399 Posts

Originally Posted by oldman40

Except that when I put them back in, lights are not working!

Any help appreciated! Thanks.
Are you saying BOTH headlights aren't functioning? Is it possible that you reversed the headlights??
Old 12-28-2015, 01:56 PM
oldman40
Rennlist Member

Thank everyone, great suggestions! Somehow the connector isn't seating properly despite the smooth insertion of each light module. I tried pushing really hard once the headlight was fully seated, and it is working now.

Concerned that it isn't still fully mated, so I think I'll try pulling the fender/ wheel guards and take a closer look.
Old 12-28-2015, 02:33 PM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Received 340 Likes on 238 Posts

Thank everyone, great suggestions! Somehow the connector isn't seating properly despite the smooth insertion of each light module. I tried pushing really hard once the headlight was fully seated, and it is working now.

Concerned that it isn't still fully mated, so I think I'll try pulling the fender/ wheel guards and take a closer look.
I would also suggest using some plastic safe contact cleaner and soaking the connector then hit with a little compressed air. Contacts are pretty dainty.
Old 12-28-2015, 03:22 PM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

This happened to me a few months ago. I had to remove the fender liner and help get the connector aligned from that side, and everything worked fine. I wasn't impressed with the design that would allow a misalignment in a location that is so difficult to access.
Old 12-28-2015, 03:46 PM
oldman40
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by keninirvine
This happened to me a few months ago. I had to remove the fender liner and help get the connector aligned from that side, and everything worked fine. I wasn't impressed with the design that would allow a misalignment in a location that is so difficult to access.
I agree with you, major pia. I was in wonder and awe of how well designed the lens/lamp module was. not so much for the electric plug!
Old 12-29-2015, 03:25 PM
silvewrc2s
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I agree with you, major pia. I was in wonder and awe of how well designed the lens/lamp module was. not so much for the electric plug!
yup, so easy to slide in and out, not so to connect
Old 12-29-2015, 03:38 PM
mesprit87
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Adding a little silicone grease or something similar on the connector seal will help a lot.
I ran into that problem with my beetle which is a cheap (very cheap!) Imitation of the 993 design. Lubricating it a bit, you don't need a lot, after a good clean up will definitely help.

Quick Reply: Headlight woes