Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help on 993 vs. 00 Boxster S purchase

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2003, 06:23 PM
Lenman
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

AutobahnNY, you're exposing me as a newbie. Can't find the email you sent. Do I look in private messages? Can you forward your thought to me at bluestar@silcom.com? Appreciate it, Len Lot's of great stuff!
Old 09-29-2003, 06:29 PM
Lenman
Track Day

AutobahnNY, you're exposing me as a newbie. Can't find the email you sent. Do I look in private messages? Can you forward your thought to me at bluestar@silcom.com? Appreciate it, Len Lot's of great stuff!
Old 09-29-2003, 06:56 PM
fbfisher
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

For many on this board, owning a 993 is the realization of a long term dream. I don't ever see the Boxster falling into that category.

You don't seem to stay too interested in a car for too long anyway. Seems to me this thread has held your attention longer than any car has.
Old 09-29-2003, 07:57 PM
Lenman
Track Day

OUCH! Well the truth does hurt sometimes! Reality is that I'm a commission only mortgage broker with a high monthly nut to crack. There have been slow times that made selling a pricey car an easy way to increase liquidity. Then good times where I"m flush and can buy whatever. With a $60k car I feel guilty driving 6 miles a day and with a $20k car I want to upgrade. I"m hoping the next purchase will end this foolish spiral of wasted taxes and such and for once am trying to really do my homework. This thread has been very valuable and I appreciate it. Good barb too! =)
Old 09-29-2003, 09:33 PM
NetManiac
Addict
Rennlist Member

For many on this board, owning a 993 is the realization of a long term dream. I don't ever see the Boxster falling into that category.
I dunno Fred. I always thought my first Porsche would have been a 914-6. Maybe I figured a 911 was just too much to hope for, but either way that was my dream. So I could see a Boxster being someone's dream car. But I'm sure that population will be quite a bit smaller than those who dream of a 911.
Old 09-29-2003, 09:38 PM
Rolo
Rhymes With Polo
Rennlist Member

Received 1,082 Likes on 641 Posts

I really don't understand the thead. Afterall...Its a BOXSTER! I mean come on. Yes its a nice car. No doubt. But its a chick car. A womans Porsche.
Old 09-30-2003, 03:39 AM
fbfisher
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I am biased. 993 cab is my dream car (though a TT...) and I have posted my nightmare Boxster loaner story (see, feel, do the search - to borrow a phrase) so consider the source. But I'll take the compliment anyway, all in good fun and humor.

PS - I just did a spell check and Boxster is not found! What does that tell you?
Old 09-30-2003, 07:41 AM
BobbyB
Addict
Rennlist Member

I guess it's telling you that the spell check has not been updated?

On the serious side - you have to drive both of these cars and both in their element to really decide. I went on a spirited all day run with some other Boxster people known as the ESBB and the car performed as anyone would expect a Porsche to perform on 2 lane twisty roads where you could reach illegal speeds. The roads had the usual twists, turns and changes in elevation. In other words, this car brought out the permagrin for the day.

At lunch one of the Boxster guys who used to have a 993 tt said that on this type of road, it was much easier to drive his Boxster fast and that he believes that the Boxster has a better overall balance.

After this drive - I was very relaxed, excited but a totally different elation than when I've completed a spirited run in the 993. One I feel is a car you work at when driving and you are rewarded. The other, you just jump in and enjoy it. YRMV.

If you want a quick response from Boxster owners, try posting on the PPBB.com
Old 09-30-2003, 11:20 AM
fluid15
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally posted by fbfisher
I second that opinion. There certainly are a lot of people that admire the Boxster - including many with 20+ yrs of Porsche ownership experience - but it's hard to compare them because I don't believe they're in the same category, even if some of the prices are. Different cars for different markets / purpose.

I can't count the number of people who compliment and rant/rave about my 993 - the shape, the sound, the passenger experience, etc. If I'm talking about Porsches at the office and mention that another guy has a Boxster, there usually isn't the same interest and they continue about the 993. It moves people. For a reason.

I'm not taking away from the Boxster's credibility/capability. We each have our opinion and mine is that the 993 is my choice for desirable car. For me, that also means as a daily driver.

Last edited by fluid15; 09-30-2003 at 04:56 PM.
Old 09-30-2003, 03:43 PM
autobahnNY
Pro

No matter what you say the Boxster S is a dynamic performer that has plenty of potential to be better. Where not talking about the standard model, the "S",there is a difference. Handling wise..c'mon, its one of the best handling cars out now, hands down...with good power to go with it. Anyone who goes to the track knows the Boxster S is a great track car.Rolo,a chic car? Please, I know where your head is...ignorance is bliss.Yes,the car appeals to the masses, including some women. How could you blame them, its a sweet looking car which performs as good as your 993, face it. There are many more Boxsters out there than 993.I don't care, that doesn't take away the fact its still an awesome car, with its own distinct charater. Some characteristics that you don't see in a 993 cause they're different. To some of us exclusiveness is foremost, everything else is secondary. Notice I didn't knock the 993 once, great car. Oh I'm on the 993 forum, I forgot you can't voice your opinion if you don't favor the 993. No disrespect to the sensible 993 owners.
Old 09-30-2003, 04:31 PM
Fishey
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Boxster is a women's car made for people who don't know how to drive
"it has brains even if the driver doesn't"- Jermemy Clarkson.

Don't Get me wrong. I love the boxster and I talked my sister into buying one when she graduates from collage. I know alot of people find both cars to be "drivers" cars but when it comes to a TRUE "drivers" car for challanges the 993 takes more skill to drive quickly. If you are untalented driver like myself the 944 or boxster would be a better choice. (for everyday driving its not going to make a diffrence). I know my fathers 993 is faster then my 944 but because of driver skill I am unable to take advantage of the 993's braking and aceleration around an autoX. I guess take the boxster if you think you are a good driver and the 993 if you know you are a good driver.
Old 09-30-2003, 04:58 PM
Greg D.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 279 Likes on 139 Posts

It's turning into boxster bashing now... It's silly as the boxster is both a very capable handling car and a gorgeous automobile - a lot prettier than the 996 if you ask me! It's a victim of its own success and of the fact porsche flooded the market with them. If the boxster had come out with a 300 hp engine, sold for $100K and be called a 550, we'd be lusting after one...

I had one, sold it to get a 993. Why? I wanted the 993's engine and classic lines, the sound, the feel, the back seats, the roof, the kick *** butt... But my loveof the 993 does not make me blind either, I guarantee you that pound for pound the Boxster is a better handling car than the 993 - if a little vicious in the rain, it was simply neutered at birth by Porsche's marketing strategists... Drop a 3.4 996 engine into it and see it dissapear in the distance... The Z3 was a hairdresser car, the Boxster isn't...

Just my 0.02 !
Old 09-30-2003, 05:12 PM
Fishey
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

No the boxster is a hairdresser's car as its still a droptop...
z3 makes you feel like you are 20ft tall with the low side cut doors, the 993 makes you feel like you are 10 years old because you sit so damn low in it (i just love it).
Old 09-30-2003, 05:15 PM
Rolo
Rhymes With Polo
Rennlist Member

Received 1,082 Likes on 641 Posts

Originally posted by fluid15
I second that opinion. There certainly are a lot of people that admire the Boxster - including many with 20+ yrs of Porsche ownership experience - but it's hard to compare them because I don't believe they're in the same category, even if some of the prices are. Different cars for different markets / purpose.

I can't count the number of people who compliment and rant/rave about my 993 - the shape, the sound, the passenger experience, etc. If I'm talking about Porsches at the office and mention that another guy has a Boxster, there usually isn't the same interest and they continue about the 993. It moves people. For a reason.

I'm not taking away from the Boxster's credibility/capability. We each have our opinion and mine is that the 993 is my choice for desirable car. For me, that also means as a daily driver.

Sorry if I offended you. But its my opinion. Like I said in an earlier post. My assistant says by buddies car is CUTE, and mine is sporty and sexy?

I really thing the Boxster is a very nice car. I even posted how much I liked it after driving my friends Boxster S. But it honestly doesn't have much appeal to me. If I wanted a cab, I'd have to look at a 993.
Old 09-30-2003, 05:26 PM
NetManiac
Addict
Rennlist Member

Boxster is a women's car made for people who don't know how to drive
"it has brains even if the driver doesn't"- Jermemy Clarkson.
Is that the same Jeremy Clarkson who said of the Boxster S?

The driver and the prissy sissy understudy looks might suggest otherwise but this, trust me, is a proper, proper sports car, as light as Kylie’s pants and as delicate as what’s in them.
So which is it?

Quick Reply: Help on 993 vs. 00 Boxster S purchase