Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help on 993 vs. 00 Boxster S purchase

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2003, 07:05 PM
Kevin Reilly
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One thing you posted originally would be a concern to me...you live only 3 miles from your office so you put low miles on your car?

If that is the case, I would say that a 993 is a relatively poor choice for you. In 3 miles, you barely get the oil heated up. On a long term basis, you will likely have carbon buildup problems.
Old 09-26-2003, 08:07 PM
Lenman
Track Day

thanks again, Great stuff! I think you're right about my spinning out, had to be oil on the road. Couldn't of been that numnutts thing! (right)
Added question, I've read in several places that 96-98 we're much improved and faster than 95. Also seem to keep reading that the stock suspension is only adequate (I assume in regards to track performance) and starts wearing out after 20-25k? At least shocks and such? Is this so, and should I expect to be putting money into the suspension should I buy one with 35k to 50k miles. Lastly, is that concept of short drives and carbon buildup a real concern. I do only drive back and forth a few miles a day and rarely leave town? Thanks again for all the help. As I mentioned, I'll get my first 993 ride monday and have already tested the BoxS. Appreciate it, I can feel the passion among you Porsche dudes, you love these things, don't you! Very cool!
Old 09-26-2003, 08:21 PM
88clbsport
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

Wow, your story sounds a lot like mine....flipping cars, taxes, never satisfied etc.
I too have owned both, although my boxster was one of the first ones to hit NA (PCNA rep car I got when moving from NY to LA)

Without being negative towards the boxster, I will just say the 993 should win hands down. Why not a 993 cab? You can get one for high 30's and there is nothing wrong with a '95. I picked up a '95 from a rennlister a few months ago for a friend and she loves it....she also came from a boxtster!

993 is the real deal, boxster is a great car, but NO comparison! Forget the depreciation, you don't hold on to them long enough!!
Old 09-26-2003, 10:04 PM
BobbyB
Addict
Rennlist Member

All I can say is that you are comparing two totally different cars. I know you are probably tired of people saying "drive them both then you decide," but they are right.

Engine sound: The Boxster has a turbine like whine at the lower rpm's then a progressive growl. I happen to love the sound of it's turbine whine which adds to my pleasure of just driving it down the street. Any excuse to hear that sound. When you start the 993 you know it isn't the Boxster (so my neighbors say) People hear you coming, then they turn around and see you. It's more of a mechanical sound, not as refined, more visceral - it's intoxicating. I have the motor sound option and the growl, when reached is much deeper than the Boxster - just my personal taste, I enjoy both and love to hear the sound - I favor the Boxster just a little more in this area.

Punching it - Woo hoo, The Boxster gains speed progressively-it just goes and before you know it, your there, 80, 90 mph. The 993 screams and launches propels you and BAM, your there. Time warp. Here I prefer the 993.

Styling - I look at the 993 C4S everyday and think it's the best looking Porsche ever, but then when I see the Boxster parked and look at it, I think, simply gorgeous. Can't decide which one I like best. The classic lines and wide body of a C4S or the more modern and sleek lines of the Boxster

Twisties, Both handle these well. I think the Boxster is an easier drive, maybe not as rewarding. After a long cruise in the Boxster, I think how nice it was, top down, big grin. After a long drive in the 993, I think, wow, that's a sports car.

Interior - The Boxster is more modern with better ergonomics - the 993 is classic but dated. The big difference is that when I drive the Boxster I tend to pay more attention to the interior (dash design, layout). When I drive the 993, I seem to pay more attention to the gages for real information, temp, and tach.

Ride quality; Both cars have 18's but the Boxster has a smoother and more controlled ride, not soft just smoother. The 993 rides like what you would think a sports car would ride like.

Go for an extended drive, you will have to decide - I did. That's why I brought the 993. But it is also the reason I still have my Boxster

All of the above are just my opinions, yrmv
Old 09-27-2003, 12:46 AM
LeeR
Racer

No wrong answer here. Drive both and decide. For me, the Boxster is more fun for driving around town. The faster and harder you drive, the more the scale shifts to the 993. If I could have only one, I'd take the Boxster, but please don't tell any of my 993 friends. Luckily I can have both. The Boxster is my daily driver, and like you, I have a short ride to work. On the rare occassions I take the Turbo to work, I take a circuitous route to make sure the engine gets fully warmed up, but I have the TT which probably takes longer to heat up then the NA. You can't lose with either one.
Old 09-27-2003, 05:57 PM
Berkley
Burning Brakes

Interesting question and one I am pondering as I write.....

First, I have had a new '01 and '02 Boxster S and a '00 C4 996 Millennium and a '98 993 CS, respectively, at the same time.....different cars.....for a daily driver with no small kid issues, I like the Boxster S with 18'wheels, digital sound, PSM. litronics and heated seats.....for a keeper, it is the 993....no comment on the 996 unless it is in warranty.

I have a right of first refusual on a one owner '98 993 CS with 16,000 miles, good options and color.....also.looking at a '03 Boxster S with 1500 miles....money is the same, around 50k or below

I never had an issue with the other Boxsters.....can not say the same for the old 993....forget the pre-2002 996 models INMHO

I only drove my '03 Mercedes ML500 6000 miles in 12 months, which I will keep, so I may go with a Boxster S.....lot of fun to drive......by the way I bought both Boxsters new .....below invoice....didn't lose any real money on sale

Good Luck !
Old 09-27-2003, 07:27 PM
autobahnNY
Pro

Two different cars. Just drive both and decide..very simple. As for as sound...the Boxster S has a descent sound in stock form,too tame or refined for me.With intake or intake and exhaust it sounds intoxicating! Its a deep ,raw sound...very Porsche like.The "S", 3.2L is detuned so simple bolt-ons(ECU,intake and headers) will give u Dyno proven hp for some more "get up."
Old 09-27-2003, 07:37 PM
autobahnNY
Pro

Thats 30 hp.
Old 09-27-2003, 08:23 PM
Speedraser
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Regarding the '95 vs. '96+ 993 question:

The '96 993 introduced Varioram, which raised hp from 270 to 282 (SAE) or 272 to 285 (DIN). However, the original road tests show that the Varioram cars are NOT faster than '95s (in fact, the quickest 993 acceleration figures I've seen were from C&D's '95 tests). The Varioram's advantage is at low and middle revs, where it is torquier. IMO, the difference is noticeable, but not very significant.

Other issues to consider: the '95s are easier to chip, and do not suffer from carbon build-up related Check Engine Light issues. The wiring harness recall should not be an issue -- either it's been done, or it can be done free of charge (applies to '95s and most '96s).

FWIW, I bought my '95 993 in 2000 after test-driving the Boxster and Boxster S. The Boxster is a great car, but the 993 just made me want it more.

Happy hunting.
Old 09-29-2003, 04:03 PM
Lenman
Track Day

Just got back into town. Thanks to everyone for a trove of great info. Last couple of items if you guys would be so kind....
1). Seems at least one poster, maybe a porsche mechanic, said that the carbon build up issues are the same in the 95 vs, 96-98 cars, it's just that the software detects it differently. Another poster said my short 3 mile drive to work will ultimately give me carbon build up problems. Soooooo, is this something specific to these particular motors? Maybe because they're getting a lot of performance from a smaller displacement (relative) engines they need to be driven aggressively (higher rpm) to keep em running clean? Or do I need to lengthen my drive each way to a certain # of miles to see that this isn't an issue? (not a big problem, the longer way has twisties!)

2) What is the basic difference between c2 and c2S. Was the S available in a 95 model? I don't see the S mentioned in the ad's I've seen, but I could be wrong.

3)Is there a test I should have done to see what the current carbon build up situation is on a potential purchase? I'm test driving a 95 w 30k miles later today. 1 owner, a woman who says she's always babied it. If she drove it very lightly, might this problem already be festering.

3), re the Boxster S vs. 993 question, is it fair to say the majority of boxster buyers/drivers are daily driver types who don't push the car hard too often, and more of the 993 buyers are the type that'll be pushing their cars more regularly? Only guessing, as those of you on this board are totally passionate and the Boxster board is a little more ho-hum and satisfied w their cars as stock? I'm generalizing of course, it's just that I posted the same original post on both boards and got 20 responses here in love w the 993 vs 1 response in the same time on the boxster board. Most of you guys have pic's of your cars on a track, telling me you're REALLY into these things!

4) lastly, someone said that the Boxster in effect was a de tuned engine that can grow my 30 HP w basic mods, whereas the 993 is more maxed out at the start. How much to get that 30 hp, and does that narrow the diff substantially performance wise?

5) Is the Charcoal black color any easier to keep clean and does it show less swirls and such than regular black? Substantial diff?
Thanks again to all, very helpful. I'm sure after my test drive today it'll be pretty easy to decide. I much appreciate all the help. Len
Old 09-29-2003, 04:32 PM
User 4621
Race Director

Received 614 Likes on 326 Posts

Originally posted by Lenman

1). Seems at least one poster, maybe a porsche mechanic, said that the carbon build up issues are the same in the 95 vs, 96-98 cars, it's just that the software detects it differently. Another poster said my short 3 mile drive to work will ultimately give me carbon build up problems. Soooooo, is this something specific to these particular motors?

Yes, yes, and yes.

2) What is the basic difference between c2 and c2S. Was the S available in a 95 model? I don't see the S mentioned in the ad's I've seen, but I could be wrong.

First year of C2S was '97. Basic difference is a slightly wider rear end.

3)Is there a test I should have done to see what the current carbon build up situation is on a potential purchase? I'm test driving a 95 w 30k miles later today. 1 owner, a woman who says she's always babied it. If she drove it very lightly, might this problem already be festering.

Probably not. Beware 993's that have been "babied." Few things are worse for this car.

3), re the Boxster S vs. 993 question, is it fair to say the majority of boxster buyers/drivers are daily driver types who don't push the car hard too often, and more of the 993 buyers are the type that'll be pushing their cars more regularly? Only guessing, as those of you on this board are totally passionate and the Boxster board is a little more ho-hum and satisfied w their cars as stock? I'm generalizing of course, it's just that I posted the same original post on both boards and got 20 responses here in love w the 993 vs 1 response in the same time on the boxster board. Most of you guys have pic's of your cars on a track, telling me you're REALLY into these things!

Beats me. Who cares though? Pick a car and drive it the way you want, why follow the herd?

4) lastly, someone said that the Boxster in effect was a de tuned engine that can grow my 30 HP w basic mods, whereas the 993 is more maxed out at the start. How much to get that 30 hp, and does that narrow the diff substantially performance wise?

True about the 993, not sure about the Boxster. By performance do you mean mashing the throttle at stoplights? I doubt either car is good for that.

5) Is the Charcoal black color any easier to keep clean and does it show less swirls and such than regular black? Substantial diff?

No, although that just an impression since I don't own that color.
Old 09-29-2003, 05:32 PM
SkipSauls
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

A few of things to consider:

- The 993s have been around longer, making things like mods more likely.

- Similarly, most 993s are now out-of-warranty, so modifying them, taking them to the track, and so on is perhaps a bit easier to stomach.

- The Boxster forum on rennlist seems to have fairly low amounts of traffic, which may explain the lack of responses. Try Porsche Pete's Boxster Board for a wider audience.

- There are plenty of folks who drive their Boxsters very hard and on the track. All of my Porsches have to earn their keep with track sessions and spirited canyon blasts! Porsches were meant to be driven, not pampered, and the Boxster is certainly no exception.

I don't believe that it's as easy to get another 30 HP out of the Boxster S as some seem to think. Plenty have tried with exhausts systems, intakes, chips, and so on, and no one has yet to prove that they can get more than a few HP out of the things. The only real way to get lots of HP is to move to a 3.4 or 3.6, neither of which is a trivial or cheap route. Buy an intake and exhaust to get better sound, but don't expect more than a few HP, and you might actually lose a bit. This isn't much different from the 993, where a 3.8 kit is the only way to get much HP without installing a supercharger or transplanting a TT.

A Boxster S is a pretty good match for a 993 in terms of performance, on the track if not in a stoplight drag-race. In our local DEs the Boxster S's with suspension and tire upgrades will regularly do as well or better than similarly prepared 993s. A 993 may have more ultimate potential given the available (and expensive) upgrades, but the Boxster S will hold its own in DE-ready trim. I'd also bet that most drivers could jump into a Boxster S and drive it faster than a 993, as it really is the better-balanced car.

Not if the cars that I've seen in this color are anything to go on. I'm not convinced that there are really any low-maintenance colors, although silver and some of those "champagne" colors may come close in certain climates.

Charcoal black metallic is a good looking color, and keep in mind that the average passerby won't notice those marks that you will see when you are washing and polishing it. Unless you're into the concours scene, if the car looks good from 5 or so feet, don't sweat it.
Old 09-29-2003, 05:42 PM
autobahnNY
Pro

Hey Lenman,sent ya an email.
Old 09-29-2003, 05:45 PM
autobahnNY
Pro

Skip there are plenty of people who have dyno sheets with 30 hp increase on a "S"
Old 09-29-2003, 05:50 PM
autobahnNY
Pro

996 powered Boxster VS Boxster S with TTP headers,ECU,intake,no cats

Quick Reply: Help on 993 vs. 00 Boxster S purchase