Looking to purchase 993

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2015, 11:42 AM
mos60n
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Looking to purchase 993

Hi everyone,
wondering if any of you can give me some advice on what to look for when assessing a potential 993. I plan on getting a PPI with a leakdown/compression test as well, but I'm curious if there's anything else that I should be asking or looking for that the PPI wouldn't necessarily tease out.

I plan on using the car as a DD,so it doesn't have to be perfect, just clean and honest. Thanks.
Old 10-08-2015, 01:21 PM
Leander
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Check out his 993 Buyers Guide:
http://www.jackals-forge.com/lotus/
Old 10-08-2015, 01:31 PM
six gun
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mos60n
Hi everyone,
wondering if any of you can give me some advice on what to look for when assessing a potential 993. I plan on getting a PPI with a leakdown/compression test as well, but I'm curious if there's anything else that I should be asking or looking for that the PPI wouldn't necessarily tease out.

I plan on using the car as a DD,so it doesn't have to be perfect, just clean and honest. Thanks.
If you are serious, join us here (pay your $17.00 dues) that give you access to the our search engine, There is not much that has been written that you will not find here.
Old 10-08-2015, 06:00 PM
TJ993
Banned

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts
Default membership

exactly
good people
knowledge = Access to Data
Great Do It Yourself Info
Oppurtunity to Exchange emails with Real time Sellers
Money well spent
TJ

This is a great Place!

Originally Posted by six gun
If you are serious, join us here (pay your $17.00 dues) that give you access to the our search engine, There is not much that has been written that you will not find here.
Old 10-09-2015, 01:14 PM
Ron
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hi everyone,

The model year options and color and the mileage would be helpful
Old 10-09-2015, 02:37 PM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Latest 2 or 3 smog check data sheets if applicable, could probably provide a basic overall health or potentially ensuing issues with the engine.
Old 10-09-2015, 07:49 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 544 Likes on 411 Posts

what are you looking for? options, colour, price etc? I have a 95 green c2 high miles great for dd gonna put up for sale soon.
Old 10-09-2015, 09:38 PM
mos60n
Rennlist Member

Thanks guys. Appreciate the advice. I wasn't looking for any particular year or mileage; just a clean 993 coupe in either silver, white or blue variant.

I actually may have found one that may suit me in New Hampshire.
Car is 1995 with less than 50k miles. Per the owner car hasn't seen snow and little rain. Carfax checks out ok - passed emissions in 2012, 2013 but no further inspections since. Service records from last 12 years or so available.

Anyone know of a good place for PPI near Nashua? I did a search and found a few places:

Precision Imports in Manchester
Exotech in Plaistow
Blair Talbot Motors in Dover, but I think this may be too far

Any thoughts?

I started my search for an older more classic porsche last year; paid the dues to become a RL member, but because of some unexpected more urgent home renovation costs, the search for my porsche was suspended till now. So I'm hoping to join the club soon! Thanks again.
Old 10-10-2015, 01:58 AM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Received 563 Likes on 411 Posts

Thanks guys. Appreciate the advice. I wasn't looking for any particular year or mileage; just a clean 993 coupe in either silver, white or blue variant.

Car is 1995 with less than 50k miles. Per the owner car hasn't seen snow and little rain. Carfax checks out ok - passed emissions in 2012, 2013 but no further inspections since. Service records from last 12 years or so available.

Anyone know of a good place for PPI near Nashua? I did a search and found a few places:

Exotech in Plaistow

Any thoughts?

I started my search for an older more classic porsche last year; paid the dues to become a RL member, but because of some unexpected more urgent home renovation costs, the search for my porsche was suspended till now. So I'm hoping to join the club soon! Thanks again.
I can't comment on Exotech or Blair, but do not use Precision Imports. They're a jack of all trades, but no master of our 993's. They missed several critical items when doing the PPI on my C4 that were easily detectable, and they over-filled the oil. You want to go to someone who really knows our 993's, and what to look for.

I can't recommend anyone up in NH, but would highly recommend Jerry Pellegrino at European Performance Engineering in Natick, MA if you can get the car there. Good luck, and if you need someone to visually inspect the car for you PM me - happy to help.
Old 10-10-2015, 08:51 AM
fatmike
Three Wheelin'

Received 442 Likes on 275 Posts

Good advise from Foxman - take the car to EPE in Natick, MA.

And, if you buy the car then have them do whatever work you will get done while your at it.

/
Old 10-10-2015, 12:35 PM
six gun
Rennlist Member

Stuttgart North east in Danvers Mass. is also an option, and a bit closer.

http://www.stuttgartnortheast.com/
Old 10-10-2015, 03:18 PM
XavierLaFlamme
Rennlist Member

Received 117 Likes on 52 Posts

OBD1 on the 95 so that is a good thing.
--Michael

Exotech in Plaistow

Any thoughts?

Old 10-11-2015, 07:42 PM
mos60n
Rennlist Member

Thanks again for the advice. Regarding car buying decorum, is it customary to make an offer after the PPI results or does one need to offer the buyer a refundable deposit of some sort to essentially hold the car pending the PPI results? It seems in current market conditions cars are snapped up pretty quickly. I'm sure someone with a lot of experience may be able to spot a good deal and a good and honest car when they see one, but when someone like myself with limited experience steps up to the plate, how should I go about the process? Just want to ensure that I can move quickly and not waste time and possibly lose out on a nice opportunity.

Please pardon the newbie question.
Old 10-11-2015, 07:48 PM
mos60n
Rennlist Member

Sorry I forgot to post: on the flip side, what sort of etiquette can I expect from the seller? I'm sure there's a wide spectrum of types of sellers out there, but just wondering is it usually first one to the door with cash wins or what? I have cash on hand, I just need time to do my due diligence and learn more about the car. Thanks.
Old 10-11-2015, 08:02 PM
Drisump
Racer

I believe what is normal is to agree in principal to price before PPI based on what you as layman can see and feel. During the PPI, when certain deficiencies (undisclosed or unknown to the seller) identified, it is up to the seller and buyer to reach a realistic settlement based on the PPI.

Quick Reply: Looking to purchase 993