Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally posted by Jim Morton
John:

Danny, Kim:

Yes, I went to the ERP kine toe arms as well as I also opted for the ERP main toe arm as well. Between the ERP arms and the good alignment, the car is better than ever.

Regards
Jim, do you have any more info on these suspension bits? Pics? Links to view these 'links', so to speak?
Old 11-04-2003, 11:10 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Hi Chris:

Might I step in here and help answer this? I supplied the ERP bits for Jim and Kim's Yellow Zonker,......

The ERP arms consist of a billet anodized tube with a spherical bearing on each end.

These are installed to replace both the factory toe control links and kinematic control arms and provide a FAR great range of toe adjustment on both, as well as replacing the rubber bushings that contribute to unecessary toe changes under hard cornering loads. The OEM pieces do not possess a wide enough range of adjustment when you want to really set these cars up to their potential.

I'm sure Jim will step in here and tell his impressions of the changes they made.

Kim's Yellow Zonker got the "Full Monty" with ERP monoballs at all front & rear suspension pivots, at the rear subframe mounts, EVO front uprights, and a special ERP front tie rod for bump steer correction. The difference is simply astounding.
Old 11-04-2003, 11:28 PM
Jim Morton
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Chirs:

As Steve mentioned in his reply, the arms use spherical rod ends in lieu of the sealed tie rod end and rubber bushing. This interested me as I felt the rubber bush on the one end of the toe arms added un-needed rubber islolation and unwanted toe movement on the rear suspension. To put it simply, one would not put rubbber on the front suspension tie rods and expect the steering to feel precise...

Anyway, this is the best picture I have of the setup.

http://www.morton-engr.com/993-stuff/jpg/erp-2links.jpg

Driving with this mod is just great. I have found no down side to these links other than the possible upkeep on the non-sealed/booted sphericals. With each mod I have done to the rear end, I have not had any downside to the ride quality or harshness, but have gained a huge amount of stability of the rear end while in high speed sweepers and decreasing radius turns. I use this car and lond distance rallies and am typically driving the car for 10 -12 hours a day. With each of the rear end upgrades, the car just gets more and more fun to drive !

One thing to note. The Porsche Kine Toe tool may not work with these arms and the links are not uniformly flat on top like the stock arms. This is why I likes the Autometrics tool...

Enjoy the photo.
Old 11-05-2003, 01:41 AM
JC in NY
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the kinematic toe spec is the difference in the inclination angle of the parallel control arms. The difference of these measurements must be within a certain nmber of "units", side to side. If you know what a "unit" is, a digital protractor will suffice to measure all angles. No magic.

Quick Reply: Rear toe arm R&R questions.