Red Carrera RS from Vancouver, WA

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2003, 11:31 AM
DoubleNutz
USMarine
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 38 Posts
Unhappy Red Carrera RS from Vancouver, WA

You and I were pulled over by a dirty cop on Saturday morning in Portland, Oregon just outside of Lombard exit on I5 and written a truck load of bogus tickets!!!

Are you on this list?

If you are we need to talk...I have contacted my attorney already.

Email me privately at-- patedwards@patedwards.net

The rear of your 911 looked like this but said- "Carrera RS"

Last edited by DoubleNutz; 09-21-2003 at 10:38 PM.
Old 09-21-2003, 02:19 PM
Randy M
Drifting

Received 724 Likes on 334 Posts

Could I ask what happened? Portland cop?
Old 09-21-2003, 04:30 PM
noony
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You have 993 RS's in America?
Old 09-21-2003, 04:50 PM
PDX Tim
Instructor

Sorry to hear about your experience. Can you give us some details, so we can avoid getting nailed.

Was it a 993 RS or a 964 RS? If it was a 964 RS, I think I know the guys name.
Old 09-21-2003, 10:41 PM
DoubleNutz
USMarine
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by Randy M
Could I ask what happened? Portland cop?
Its Saturday morning,I am on my way into the office. I pass a a beautiful Red Carrera RS going south on I5 into Portland. I get kinda log jammed behind a Honda doing about 45mph in a 55 in the far left lane and a small truck in the middle. I can't really go anywhere. The Red Carrera RS comes on my tail at a pretty fast clip of speed and launches out to the far right lane and passes the truck in the middle lane ...he is gone! I am still in the far right behind the Honda when the truck in the middle lane moves over to the right and gives me an opening to go around the creeping Honda. I am probabaly approaching about 50mph in speed when I see a bubble gum machine jumbling in my rear view mirror and coming up the middle lane fast.

I take a sigh of relief and say to myself "OMG he is after the RS",, which by the way is about a quarter to t a half mile down the road by now. So the cop closes behind me and the darts down the road in the left lane after the RS. Still in the middle lane proceeding now at about 55mph I begin to close on what was this cop tailing this RS closely in the middle lane,,,hand out the window,,,pointing back at me,,,"PULLOVER!"

WHAT!!!!

I pull over on to the right shoulder and by now another cruiser pulls up and the cop gets out fron the car behind me and walks to my window- I ask "Officer why am I being pulled over?" He says- "Well, this guy up here has one of you on radar", about this time the other officer is approaching the conversation as I was saying- "well its not me I was stuck in a pack of traffic back there" and the other cop (who alledgedly tagged- one of us with radar) says- "Well, how fast do you THINK you were going?" I said- Officer I was stuck in traffic back there behind a 45 mph Honda so the best I could have been doing was 50 when we passed you. He "huffs" and stumbles his donut laden waistline away. They asked us to remain in the car. I pull out a pen and start writing down on the back of an envelope everything while it is sill clear in my mind.

10 minutes later he comes back - tickets in hand for the Red Carrera RS and I. I am figuring well the best this guy can write me for is no license plate on the front of my car. He reaches into my passenger window and hands me one ticket with THREE CITATIONS-

1- CARELESS DRIVING $237
2- SPEED RACING $421
3-SPEEDING (VBR) 97/55 $421

I completely flip out and said- "You've gotta be kidding me SPEED RACING???? 97 in a 55??? What the hell is this???" I said- Officer that Red Porsche passed me while I was in traffic how do you arrive at SPEED Racing if he passed me while I was in traffic and additionally do you really have me on radar going 97 MPH?"

He says- Well you were behind him so you had to be going that fast.

I said- BUT HE PASSED ME GOT DAMMIT! I was stuck in traffic and if I was going that fast then why isn't the Honda and the truck here with us? Additionally even if he did blast by me doing 97mph if would be physically IMPOSSIBLE for me to be going the same speed at the same time he PASSED me while you were nailing him on RADAR! Are you sure you've got me on RADAR doing 97MPH?

He now says- YES, I got you both. I said- "wait a minute first you ask me , how fast do I think I am going? then you tell me I was doing 97 in a 55 at the same time I am stuck behind a Honda and truck doing 45-55, Which is it officer?"

So he changes his story a THIRD time and says- "Well you were following him so you must have been speeding and if you want to talk about this any further you can do it in court!"

BOGUS, LYING, POS, Portland City Cop! He figured while he was on his way to pick-up the Red Carrera RS he would bag both Porsche's regardless if we were innocent- he got two for the price of one with 3 tickets each!

If we were speed racing as he alledges,,,why did he have to race another quarter to half mile down the road to nab the RS?

I was truly "below the speed limit" when the cop alledgedly nailed the RS going around me (personally I don't think the RS was going that fast ...he was fast but when he passed the cop he was well below 97 and we certainly were NOT racing with each other) in this crooked cops eyes we are guilty by association!

Last edited by DoubleNutz; 09-22-2003 at 12:50 AM.
Old 09-22-2003, 12:19 AM
PDX Tim
Instructor

:grr

I'm angry after reading that story. You said it "guilty by association". If the red Porsche was going 97 then the blue one must have been going 97 also. Nice detective work officer, you Jackass!. :grr Portland's finest! Why not pull over the Honda and the truck that also got passed. Oh, they didn't have Porsche badges on their hoods. Portland police has been criticized for racial profiling. Now they are targeting minority marques on the freeway. This is an outrage! Call the mayor! Call the ACLU! Equal rights for Porsches!

I really think you will get out of this. The officer's story will not hold up in court, but you still have to take time out of your life to go to court, pay your lawyer etc.

Did you notice if the RS had OR or WA plates?
Old 09-22-2003, 12:40 AM
DoubleNutz
USMarine
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by PDX Tim
Did you notice if the RS had OR or WA plates?
Yes, I have his plate number, but did not want to post it publically, it is a Washington plate the first three digits are "356" .

Yes, I am pretty pissed. I have never had a speeding ticket, this is my first. (I have been pulled over before but the cops could not prove my speed so i have been let go I...in the past) So this one really irks me because I actually was not even speeding so I got a "no thrill ticket"!

I think it is no coincidence that Portland is in deep financial "do-do" so they recently raised the cost of speeding violations by 40% and now they have cops on a hunt for cars that look fast and pulling over innocent people and writing them tickets! Pretty crappy to be in Portland, Oregon these days.

Oh as it stands racial profiling maybe he also noticed that I was a black guy driving a Porsche...minority in a Porsche??? Must have been a big let down for him when he discovered I was not a Portland TrailBlazer!
Old 09-22-2003, 12:41 AM
Randy M
Drifting

Doublenutz that is a really bad story. Maybe rennlist should have a list for traffic lawyers. Imo there is a fine line between a cop and a criminal. Whenever I get pulled over I show the utmost respect because they have the authority to haul your butt in for anything. You never know how creative they can be in regard to charges and I don't trust cops one bit. I'm pessimistic but with the authority they wield I'm afraid that many cops are corrupt. Good luck with your case. This town needs an overhaul.
Old 09-22-2003, 01:05 AM
DoubleNutz
USMarine
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by Randy M
Maybe rennlist should have a list for traffic lawyers.

In Oregon my friends at the Ron Tonkin Gran Turismo Ferrari recommend

Charles Dankers 503-222-6102 who by the way, is a also a Porsche driver.

In Washington (and I wish she also practiced in Oregon, alas , she does not)

Jeanne Mucklestone 206-623-3330. She is a legend!
Old 09-22-2003, 01:08 AM
Suwipin
Three Wheelin'

this is mooty.
i hate cops and CHP's.
not just for tickets, but for many other hypocritical things these "authorities" who are paid by OUR hard eraned tax money is screwing with us.

and if there are rennlister who are cops/CHP'S, i am sorry if i offended you. but in the 20 years i live in this country, i have NOT seen one of these "authorities" i respect. NONE.
Old 09-22-2003, 01:16 AM
Randy M
Drifting

Doublenutz, Thanks for the info. His number is going in my address book.
Old 09-22-2003, 01:38 AM
PDX Tim
Instructor

Pat,

You have a PM.
Old 09-22-2003, 09:11 PM
RSAErick
Burning Brakes

Received 42 Likes on 1 Post

Originally posted by PDX Tim
...Was it a 993 RS or a 964 RS? If it was a 964 RS, I think I know the guys name.
I'm fairly certain that it is neither. I've met a nice guy with a red "Carrera RS" at Oregon PCA DE's at PIR. The chances of seeing an actual 964 Carrera RS in the states is VERY unlikely. His car is actually an older (late 80's?) 911. He was in an accident at a PIR DE (turn 11 ), then had the bodywork updated to 964-vintage (complete with "Carrera RS" badge). It think that the work was done at Steve Weiners shop.

I would contact the Oregon PCA. They may be able to provide contact information for him.

It's infuriating to read stories like this. As someone who has been unfairly singled out by Police officers more than once for driving a Porsche, I have NO respect whatsoever for this type of Police behavior. Remember, power corrupts. And we've given Police plenty of power to wield.

Anyway, I'm confident that you'll see your way out of this ridiculous mess. Best of luck.
Erick

Last edited by RSAErick; 09-22-2003 at 09:28 PM.
Old 09-22-2003, 09:31 PM
billh1963
Rennlist Member

Received 337 Likes on 189 Posts

I can sympathize...your story sounds familiar. My first speeding ticket was at age 25 driving my girlfriend's (later wife #1) Pontiac Formula. Without getting into boring details the cops writes me a bogus speeding ticket. I go to court, cop lies, I call him a liar, and it goes down here from there. Ever since then my respect for the typical traffic cop is minimal.

It's sad to say but the profession doesn't pay enough to attract the best and brightest. There are exceptions but most are there for the power trips (look at the number of cops arrested for excessive force, rape, domestic violence, etc.) or for the easy money (look at how many cops live in upscale neighborhoods...some are legitimate but the majority are fishy).

Sorry for the venting...I know we're only hearing the one side here but I've heard and seen enough to know it's not atypical.

Good luck on your fight!
Old 09-22-2003, 10:54 PM
midwest
Instructor

Turn 11 at PIR? The last turn is 9 I thought.

Quick Reply: Red Carrera RS from Vancouver, WA