Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

1997 993 Cab $100k ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2015, 06:07 PM
timothymoffat
Rennlist Member

Received 999 Likes on 442 Posts

David Mohlman is selling the car. Seller of many interesting Porsches over the years. No idea who or where he is, just get updates on what he's currently selling.

With an ultra-low mileage example such as this, the speedometer switch may or may not play a significant role in the car's value depending on documentation. Having the original metric version, reading the correct mileage at time of documented switch, could negate any loss in value.

It also seems that many cabs head back to Europe where they didn't have the same popularity as in the US when new. Low mileage, unique colour combinations, and desirable options, of which this car has all, make some cars VERY attractive.
Old 11-11-2015, 06:11 PM
RodKnock
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by E30M3
Noob question but would you be able to elaborate on how the value was hurt by this?
Assuming the speedo was replaced (from Canadian to US), then the claim of under 10,000 miles is dubious, unless there's clear documentation of both the before and after.The CarFax may shed some light.

Edit: Oops. I see Timothy already answered the question.
Old 03-19-2016, 05:13 PM
Green & Silver
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GTman
I have an opportunity to purchase a 1997 993 cab from a collection with less than 10k miles, Turquoise blue/black (Turquoise blue is nonmetallic and slightly darker than Rivera blue), nicely optioned with sport seats, 6 speed manual, heated seats, xenon lights, 18in. technology wheels, hifi sound.

The car is in "as new" condition as would be expected for a car always garaged with less than 10k miles. 100 percent factory stock and cared for with all books and records.

If this was a 1997 993 turbo it might fetch $200,000 in today's fevered market, given the unique color and low miles. Thus, I am thinking $100,000 for a cab may reflect the market.

Any thoughts and input would be highly appreciated as I contemplate this purchase.

Thanks
This is one of those exercises where input means nothing; wired funds do!
Old 03-20-2016, 03:40 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by u7t2p7
GTman...hope this helps you make an informed decision.

1. Are you aware that even though tiptronics cost more than 6 speeds and there were fewer of them, they command a much lower price. Kind of goes against your hypothesis as to why cabs should be priced higher than coupes.

2. Four factors drive value; condition, miles, body style and colors/options. Any low mileage, concours condition 993 in a rare and desirable color will command a higher price than a higher mileage driver in a common color of the same body style. What you don't seem to realize (possibly due to low post count here) is that "apples to apples" coupes sell to a premium over cabriolets. It's been documented ad nauseum here, through completed listings analysis and with virtually every major re-seller of air cooled Porsches.

3. At $100k, this Porsche, based on what you've posted is fairly priced, albeit at the high end of the spectrum. As for future appreciation, who knows. Between sales tax, insurance, storage costs and the "cost" of the money, you'll probably will have invested $110,000+. If the economy is strong and collectibles are viewed as a hedge, you might make a few dollars. If not, you might break even or even lose a bit.

4. Why your 993TT thoughts are misguided. 2-3 years ago the pricing differential between turbos and normally aspirated 993's narrowed considerably. Regardless of production figures, the market recognized this and quickly drove the price higher. Don't look in the rear view mirror when thinking about future appreciation. Rarity doesn't always equate to value.

My recommendation: Buy the damn car and drive it. Life is too short. Find an alternative "investment" to maximize your capital. Even if you do drive it 3-5k miles per year for 5 years, it will still be worth 80% of what it would be if you didn't drive it at all.
Lot's of great insights here, especially about driving the dam thing.
One thing is certain: the 993 has appreciated significantly over the past few years. What isn't certain is how it will perform over the next few years. As a general rule if I had to go to the internet to get input as to the merits of my investment, I'd expect that I would be rapidly eroding my net worth.

Quick Reply: 1997 993 Cab $100k ?