Sponsored by:

Fix for Air Compressor Tire Inflator

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2015, 12:00 PM
HerrDoktor
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fix for Air Compressor Tire Inflator

As I'm liquidating all my 993 bits in the shop, I sold my air compressor to another Rennlister. But it doesn't work on arrival. I will refund his money of course, unless there is a quick fix which would save him the trouble of sourcing a new one.

Anyone fixed a compressor in the past? I searched this forum and the interwebs and came up with nil. I have used it before so am a little puzzled. I asked him to check the contacts are clean and that he is getting good signal out of the socket. Any other ideas?
Old 08-15-2015, 03:36 PM
P-daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 478 Likes on 283 Posts

I haven't looked in a long time but some cigarette lighter plug has a build-in fuse. Give it a look.
Old 08-17-2015, 04:14 PM
coltj
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just realized it was you who lost your 993 in the fire. So sorry for your loss.
Re. the compressor, I am trying to fix mine; I have the version shown below. I can confirm that there is no internal fuse.

Any chance that I might have seen your 993 parked outside Swan's?

Old 08-20-2015, 06:07 PM
HerrDoktor
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just peaking in from vacation. The compressor is the 12V inter-compressor version.

And since I am not sure what Swan's is, my guess is that was not my car. I have seen at least 2 other black 993s tooling around Rochester, so it may have been one of those. Condolences much appreciated.

Sounds like my compressor is a dud or became one in transit. Oh, well good thing Im not trying to run a business here...
Old 08-20-2015, 06:15 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 61 Posts

There is, absolutely, a fuse. It's in the plug itself, if I'm not mistaken, I can have a look at mine. I believe mine is also dead at this point, have not checked it for a while since I'm using another, much faster, compressor from my autocross car ($35 very well spent).
Old 08-24-2015, 10:03 AM
coltj
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

FWIW, my plug does not have a fuse and my plug/pump is original. Other variants may have a fuse.

And if I can't get the pump working I will put in a fuse. Nile is correct, there should be a fuse.

Old 08-24-2015, 02:14 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

I have to look at mine, since I never use it. It's possible they are relying on cigarette lighter fuse (that pops quite often) instead of an internal fuse. That would be both dumb and not beyond the OEM designers from what I've seen previously.
Old 08-24-2015, 09:41 PM
kjr914
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by coltj
FWIW, my plug does not have a fuse and my plug/pump is original. Other variants may have a fuse.
Thanks for that pic of the connector! I was using mine the other day and the cord just outside of the plug, and to a lesser degree the plug, was REALLY hot. The rest of the cord wasn't, nor the metal connector parts on the plug. Anyone else have this happen?

I know the pump can get warm when running, but this was the cord...I'm guessing the crimp connector in the plug is resistive and causing localized heating of the wire. Guess I'm going to open mine up too...

As well, I noticed the pump ran better when i fired the car up, rather than running off battery (about 1 volt higher with car on). This might be normal...anyone ever notice this?
Old 08-24-2015, 09:52 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

I always run mine with the engine running on autocross car. This thing eats a lot of power, mine runs at 15 Amps.

Interestingly, the tip of MF-1040 that I use gets pretty hot after 3-4 minutes of continuous running. From what I've read, the small compressors are not really designed for any type of continuous use of more than 4-5 minutes.

Quick Reply: Fix for Air Compressor Tire Inflator