Oil Return Tubes Replaced

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2015, 01:43 PM
KNS
Three Wheelin'

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by BobbyT
Rockit,
Another way to think about this is that the tube overlap should be oriented like the shingles on a roof, so the liquid flows over rather than into the joint. Installed as they are in your first picture, hot oil will flow down the larger tube and pool against the seal until the volume is sufficient to flow into the smaller tube, and on into the engine. If the tubes are installed with the smaller end in the heads, then the oil will flow directly into the larger tube, with no chance to pool up against the seal--less chance for leakage overall.
That's it in a nutshell...
Old 08-25-2015, 04:19 PM
jdoc1949
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

I have just purchased a 95 cab with 110,000 miles and it has leaks all over the place not sure where.
1. Did you wash down first to find out where and what was leaking
2 What other seals did you replace
3 I plan on doing plugs is there anything else I should do
4 I will be removing back bumper to do some work on it
5 I will be replacing the exhaust with a Fabspeed package
So I should have a little more room to work
all suggestion will be greatly appreciated
john
Old 08-25-2015, 04:50 PM
Rockit
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jdoc1949
I have just purchased a 95 cab with 110,000 miles and it has leaks all over the place not sure where.
1. Did you wash down first to find out where and what was leaking
No I used a lift and could clearly see the leaks.
2 What other seals did you replace
Valve covers & gaskets, rear main seal, oil tubes, main oil return line to engine, timing cover gromets. It's much easier to remove the engine and do everything.
3 I plan on doing plugs is there anything else I should do
Look at the service history to tell you what's needed. I did plugs, wires, cap and rotors and also changed the belt in the distributor.
4 I will be removing back bumper to do some work on it
5 I will be replacing the exhaust with a Fabspeed package
So I should have a little more room to work
all suggestion will be greatly appreciated
Also look at Fisker stage 2 exhaust. No resonating at hwy speeds, quiet when you cruise and louder when you stomp on it. Fabspeed in my opinion is more for racing. Look up FDmotorsports.com
john
........................................................................ .....................
Old 04-11-2016, 03:45 AM
peter y.s pang
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rockit
I recently bought a 95 C2 Cab and here in the Northeast the roads are not kind to metal.

I had many oil leaks but the oil tubes were the worst. I wanted to post some pics. This was done this morning. If you develop a leak here good news they sell expandable replacement tubes so you don't have to remove the heads.

I used this Harley "high temp silver metallic" on the cases and it looks OEM

Link to "How To" the tubes below
http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarti...turn_Tubes.htm
My comming project is change those 4 oil return tube, as it look rusty. i have question, when i inspect the heat exchange nut, not all 12 nuts are M8. There are 4 Nuts which is difference. What is the part nr for those 4 nuts, i need to prepare it before start the project. tks for help.
Old 04-11-2016, 07:36 PM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by BobbyT
nine9six,

I think we know the direction of oil flow. Given that the end of the tube at the head is higher than the end at the engine case, the oil, being a liquid, will seek the lower level. The purpose of the tubes is to return oil from the heads to the engine case, hence the name "oil return tubes".
Bobby, pretty sure I was agreeing with you, the prerequisite comment was intended for the OP, or whoever installed the tubes.

KNS was right on target.

Quick Reply: Oil Return Tubes Replaced