Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wind deflector on Cab?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2016, 07:51 PM
CHJ
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I looked on the manufacture's website and confirmed my suspicion that the plastic nut/bolts are attached to the plastic emergency top retraction hole buttons. One of their nut/bolts broke when I hand tightened it, so I manufactured my own metal one that works better.

It certainly was a lot cheaper than the Porsche one. The fit and finish is fine and it seems to fit well. It should work fine. We'll have to see how well it works and I'm planning on trying it tomorrow.

Thanks for your efforts Rockit.

ChuckJ
Old 09-16-2016, 08:35 PM
2RedPorsche
Burning Brakes

Received 41 Likes on 26 Posts

Be sure to post pics of it installed Chuck, I'd like to see how it looks. Mine has the Porsche version but I often worry of the cost to replace if it was to break or be stolen!
I'm curious if the one you've picked up allows you to put the top up and down with it in place like the OE one?
Old 09-16-2016, 09:43 PM
AZ Targa
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

2RedPorsche, you can usually find them for sale on craigslist 200-400 bucks. I was going to buy a "new" one recently due to mine being partially broken, but since mine still works I passed on it. I think the last time I checked at the dealership it was ~$750

Never thought about someone stealing it. Thanks for making me more paranoid!
Old 09-16-2016, 10:17 PM
Disraeli
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Popped the top yesterday for the first time and thankfully everything came out where it was supposed to. Yes it does make a difference at speed.
Attached Images  
Old 09-17-2016, 11:32 AM
2RedPorsche
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by AZ Targa

Never thought about someone stealing it. Thanks for making me more paranoid!
Lol, sorry about that AZ, it's just something that goes through my mind every once in a while when I park it roof down. The boot cover is another pricey piece that comes off easily, drat!
Old 09-17-2016, 03:01 PM
CHJ
Instructor

I installed the Windschott wind deflector and tested it out. It fits nicely and does not interfere with the top going up or down. The top of the deflector sits just above the seat so it does not interfere with the rear vision. I thought its height would not be sufficient to stop the buffeting, but it was. Because it has a quick disconnect, it can be installed and removed in seconds.

I took the car up to 60 and found no buffeting at all, in fact, the inside fabric of the top was not even moving that I could see. That said, I will be using the cover for longer trips. It is a two piece unit with a screen that is verticle and one that folds down and meets with the back seat. It can be folded up if you want to put a passenger in the back seat.

It cost $175 (plus $75 shipping). Some pictures are provided

ChuckJ
Attached Images    

Last edited by CHJ; 09-18-2016 at 09:18 AM.
Old 09-17-2016, 05:13 PM
2RedPorsche
Burning Brakes

Looks good Chuck and sounds like a pretty good deal as well! Does it go up with the top like the OE version or does it stay in place behind the seat, it's hard to tell from the pics exactly what it's mounted to?
Old 09-18-2016, 09:08 AM
CHJ
Instructor

2redPorsche:
The screen is quick disconnected to two nut/bolts located in the emergency relief buttons for the top. It stays in place when the top goes up and down. It's easy to disconnect in seconds to let a passenger in or out of the rear seat by pulling back one spring loaded quick disconnect at the end of the screen. The screen stays in place all the time unless you disconnect it and pull it out. When disconnected, it can fit in the rear seat area if, for example, you don't want to see the bar in the rear view mirror and you are not carrying passengers.

It is interesting they designed it to only go up to the top of the seat, as there is no engineering reason why they couldn't have made it taller. I'm assuming it just doesn't need to be as tall as the OE one to be effective. I'll have to take it out on the freeway to be sure. With this one, you can see the bar in the rear view mirror, but it's at the bottom part of the window so it doesn't interfere with seeing cars. If they made it 4" taller, it probably would.

ChuckJ
Old 09-18-2016, 10:13 AM
2RedPorsche
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the info Chuck. It looks and sounds like a good alternative to OE at a great price! I saw a 993 cab at a local Cars and Coffee that had a windscreen different then OE but before I could ask him about it the car was gone. I'll have to watch for it again and see what type he has.

Quick Reply: Wind deflector on Cab?