Sponsored by:

Best oil

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2015, 12:50 PM
CHJ
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best oil

Sorry in advance if I'm starting a thread that I'm sure is already out there, but being a newbie, I can't find. I've always been a big fan of Mobil 1, but the dealer just put Castrol oil EDGE 5/40. Is there one that has been deemed best for non-track use, especially causing less ash / carbon for the SAI valve?

Chuck
Old 06-03-2015, 12:54 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,412 Likes on 2,516 Posts

Search key words in the 993 Forum:

Motul
Brad Penn
V-Twin

No "e" in Mobil.

Oh, and find a new dealer mechanic. Schedule oil change ASAP.
Old 06-03-2015, 01:01 PM
mpruden
Three Wheelin'

Received 51 Likes on 35 Posts

Suggest you close this thread. It will get ugly.

Also, I recommend you use Google to search this forum like this: http://lmgtfy.com/?q=site%3Arennlist...ecommended+oil

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...uate-zddp.html
https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...5w50-oils.html
https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...-easy-one.html
https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...-penn-oil.html
https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...age-993-a.html
https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...uate-zddp.html
https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...-question.html
https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...for-993-a.html
Old 06-03-2015, 01:02 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 562 Likes on 200 Posts

I like Canola. My wife's been using Coconut lately and it's driving me nuts. The viscosity and flashpoint are just WRONG!! But no way am I telling her and opening that can of worms...
Old 06-03-2015, 01:03 PM
simpsoap
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by ilko
I like Canola. My wife's been using Coconut lately and it's driving me nuts. The viscosity and flashpoint are just WRONG!! But no way am I telling her and opening that can of worms...
^^ GOLD!
Old 06-03-2015, 01:03 PM
Emo993
Rennlist Member

LexVan +1, and Joe Gibbs Driven DT50 formulated for air/oil cooled engines. Mark
Old 06-03-2015, 01:12 PM
axl911
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by CHJ
Sorry in advance if I'm starting a thread that I'm sure is already out there, but being a newbie, I can't find. I've always been a big fan of Mobil 1, but the dealer just put Castrol oil EDGE 5/40. Is there one that has been deemed best for non-track use, especially causing less ash / carbon for the SAI valve?

Chuck
You're in DFW. Pop over to Zimm's and get yourself a case of Brad Penn. I wouldn't put Castrol (used to before I wised up) in any of my car. And 5/40 is the wrong oil for the car. Proper oil weight first, brand second!!!
Old 06-03-2015, 01:17 PM
Leander
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Last edited by Leander; 06-03-2015 at 02:13 PM.
Old 06-03-2015, 01:26 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

No, its just you :-)

Its actually just about being lazy than doing some work and searching.
Old 06-03-2015, 01:41 PM
PelicanParts.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 35 Likes on 20 Posts

Brad Penn and Red Line are good oil options. Motul is good as well. I personally use Schaeffer's Oil. Swear by the stuff, but I track the car and love Schaeffer's for their ultimate protection.

-Luccia
888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 06-03-2015, 02:27 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

God I hate to do this - to continue yet another oil thread - but Luccia, by what scientific basis are you basing your recommendation of Schaeffer's?

I have been using Mobil V-Twin in my 993 Turbo, and my recommendation of that oil comes from a series of lab oil analysis reports that I did on every oil change, show a significant reduction in metals in the oil after coming from the PO's use of "standard" Mobil 1 to my use of V-twin, as well as a high level of Zn which I want.

I have zero evidence that Motul or other brands would not have done the same, but I am very happy with my current lab results, and being an engineer, I like provable numbers.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 06-03-2015, 02:33 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by axl911
You're in DFW. Pop over to Zimm's and get yourself a case of Brad Penn. I wouldn't put Castrol (used to before I wised up) in any of my car. And 5/40 is the wrong oil for the car. Proper oil weight first, brand second!!!
Perfect advice, especially the part about Castrol.

Any 5w-40 (these are best in the water-cooled 4-valve engines) lacks sufficient ZDDP to protect some expensive engine parts so stick to a reputable 15w-40, 15w-50 or 20w-50.
Old 06-03-2015, 02:36 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,425 Likes on 825 Posts

couldn't find huh?

yeah, ok.
Old 06-03-2015, 03:02 PM
PelicanParts.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 35 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike J
God I hate to do this - to continue yet another oil thread - but Luccia, by what scientific basis are you basing your recommendation of Schaeffer's?

I have been using Mobil V-Twin in my 993 Turbo, and my recommendation of that oil comes from a series of lab oil analysis reports that I did on every oil change, show a significant reduction in metals in the oil after coming from the PO's use of "standard" Mobil 1 to my use of V-twin, as well as a high level of Zn which I want.

I have zero evidence that Motul or other brands would not have done the same, but I am very happy with my current lab results, and being an engineer, I like provable numbers.

Cheers,

Mike
Thanks for the question, Mike. This is a non-Pcar to state firstly. I recently was sponsored by Penrite Oil, but they recently pulled out from the U.S. market. I was running Penrite based off of recommendations from my tuner who runs in the same series as I do for racing. They compete much more than I do and their builds are much more intense than mine so I trusted their recommendation and decided to run Penrite. After they pulled from the market I was left with few options. I wanted an oil that was compatible with 91 octane and E85, as I run both. I also wanted an oil that was specific for built motors and racing. I had known of Schaeffer's and run it before on my old motor, but stopped as it was not a race car at the time and the oil is expensive. When my sponsor shop brought up the name Schaeffer's again as a recommendation to run in my race engine, I decided to check it out. I set up a meeting with their rep and he came in to show me a presentation on their products. They did all the hard work, not I. I just sat there and watched what their oil offered as far as protection for my motor under intense pressure situations. The biggest thing that stood out to me was the levels of protection. They even showed me that my motor wasn't receiving the protection I thought it was with Penrite oil as we tested it in comparison. I'm sure many of you have seen these types of presentations where they lube up a bearing and show you how it reacts under pressure. When the zinc level is broken from the pressure their oil provides an extra level of molly protection. I believe Motul is similar to this, but haven't seen it tested myself. From the presentation I also spoke with the rep for over an hour about stories of their oil prolonging motors that were not doing well and so on and so forth. I was convinced and was able to work out a sponsorship with them. Again, oil is all personal preference, but I stand behind Schaeffer's and look forward to seeing how my engine does with it lubricating its internals. I am no engineer and do not have scientific numbers for you, but I am sure those are easily accessible by reaching out to the company yourself or running a test on it as well. Cheers!

-Luccia
Old 06-03-2015, 07:00 PM
CHJ
Instructor

Originally Posted by axl911
That was my feeling also on the Castrol. I looked in the owner's manual and 5/40 wasn't recommended and I thought maybe there was some directive from Porsche due to the SAI or some other issue. I've called the dealer and told them if they can't come up with documentation, I want it changed to the proper oil. We'll see what happens.

I'll be using Mayo Performance after this, but it needed to go to the dealer this time for shipping issues.

Thanks to everyone for their best thoughts.

Chuck

Quick Reply: Best oil