PSS-9 Noise

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2003, 12:15 PM
Jim Sorensen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default PSS-9 Noise

Re-installed my PSS-9s (rear) yesterday using new hats supplied by Bilstein. Now I have considerable noise from the rear that was not there before. Non-metallic thumps occur when going over bumps. I checked everything and since this was the same as I did before without the hats, I cannot figure it out. Has anybody used the Bilstein rear hats? Any suggestions?
Old 09-08-2003, 12:45 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

Hi Jim,

A few questions:

1 - Maybe it was artificially quiet before when the shocks and springs were supported by the rubber shock mounts?

2 - Is it rolling noise, or only on bumps?

3 - Was the installation done correctly?

4 - Was the rubber gasket installed?

5 - Are the shocks on firmer than before and thus making more road noise ( its easy to turn the little **** when pulling them out and in)

Just some ideas....

Cheers,

Mike
Old 09-08-2003, 02:54 PM
Jim Sorensen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Mike
1. I cannot see where the new setup should be any noiser than the old because the big rubber part is still used.
2. Noise only over bumps
3. Correctly? I believe so. Bilstein sent a pictogram how to do the parts and of course this was followed. The kit provided a spacer to go onto the shaft before putting on the hat and then the stock mount inside the hat (with rubber gasket). I could not see how much to tighten the top nut on the shaft down. It did not seem to want to bottom out --because of the rubber expanding I guess.
4. Yes, rubber gasket installed
5. Same firmness plus, never had this noise when either hard or soft.
Thanks though
Old 09-08-2003, 04:08 PM
GeoT3
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

jim,
have not personally installed pss-9 system with the spring perch but am familiar with the set up - the one offered by Steve W. but should be the same idea. I do believe you have to "tighten" down on the main strut shaft nut down until it is firmly seated. the metal shaft spacer is there to provide correct seating between the strut shaft and OEM mount. If not seated correctly the noise could be coming from there. On Steve W./Morton's mount the spacer also has to be placed correctly.
Old 09-08-2003, 04:43 PM
Jim Sorensen
Addict
Rennlist Member

George: You are probably right. This means I have to take the whole suspension down again. BAH!
Old 09-08-2003, 06:17 PM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 467 Likes on 262 Posts

Had my PSS-9 install done in early summer. I have an intermittent noise as well when going over some bumps, however I'd best describe my noise as almost a groaning or creaking noise. It's only on the right rear and possibly the new sway moving in it's new rubber mount.

Either I turn up the stereo, or put down the top and it goes away....... like magic....

Quick Reply: PSS-9 Noise